Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FXT Premium
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I was up in the Catskills for the long weekend and had to have the FXT ('04) trailered to a shop up there. It started making a whistling sound on acceleration, then while on the thruway wasn't accelerating so much- no boost- then started making bad sounds and white smoke out of the exhaust. So, apparently my turbo is shot and the shop quoted me $1257+tax to replace it (I assume that includes the cost of a new TDO4 from the dealer).

What to do? Is it time for a VF39? Can anyone recommend a good indie in Ulster County, NY? Can I drive it back to NJ in this condition without doing any more damage?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
Well, I was in Bethel Woods, Sunday ( Woodstock Museum ), in any case, not Ulster, but a great Subaru Mechanic in Goshen. A&W on Rt. 17M.

PM Bruce ( singincancary ), he lives nearby and may be able to suggest someplace closer.

·
Registered
2004 FXT Premium
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car is in Accord, not too far from Goshen. The big question is can it be driven there? Thanks for the heads-up.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Wouldn't drive it. You could probably pick up a used td04 for about 80-100$ Depending on what failed you'll probably want to clean out the oil lines and such. Should only be about 2-4 hour labor to swap the turbo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts