Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester S
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I owned my 99 for almost 2 years now.

Today at 4am I received the unpleasant knocking of the police telling me that my neighbors cited me because my alarm was on for the last 2 hours (I was totally asleep.

So indeed I would turn it off and that it will start again on its own so I had to take the battery off.

Do you have any ideas?

I live in milwakee, wi and the temp is around 15-20.

Thanks.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,054 Posts
The 99 has a Code-Alarm brand alarm. I think it may have a current sensing setup. If it does, when it gets cold your battery capacity will drop. That could set off the alarm. Your battery may be on the way out. How old is it? The other thing I can think of is, your door switches,the pin switches in the door for the dome light, could be a little corroded. When it gets cold and the metal contracts, it sets the alarm off. You can take them out and clean them up maybe. The last thing is the sensitivity to the shock sensor is too high and maybe the cold does something? Set it a little lower. The sensor is attached to the steering column with a zip tie. I have the manual for it on ScoobyMods. In the mean time put the system in Valet mode so it won't go off but the light will still blink. Sometimes that's all you need to scare off a potential (casual) thief.

·
Registered
1998 Forester S
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! My battery is indeed on my way out I think It still cranks at the first one in the cold but is old.

I bought the car in GA so there is little to no rust around...

The other thing is that I am using after market controllers because when I bought the car the guy lost them or something...

They have been working just fine since I bought them a year and a haalf ago...

Do you mind sending me a PM with the link to the manual? I don't even know how to put it in Vallet mode since this is the first time I ever have a problem like this.

Thanks a lot for your help!!! :) :) :)

·
The Modfather
8,054 Posts

·
The Modfather
8,054 Posts
Good luck, happy to help. It seems those fobs may be sold out. If so and you want to get the OEM one, they seem to have them on flea-bay all the time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts