35,234 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,234 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah you're right @2.5x_sleeper , that is out of a '98 forester. I also have two off the 03-08 generation. But I just took the picture of that one because it was handy. I realized they both had illumination and the same number of wires so I didn't think they were different. Anyway that diagram will help, Thanks! I'll get back when I figure out more.

·
Super Moderator
35,234 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am having some trouble with getting a factory switch for my 2006 to operate aftermarket lights. I have the illuminated section figured out(Orange/White and Violet) and I can get the indicator light to come on and off.

There are three wires coming from the relay for the switch currently I am as far as....
Ground going to the Red/Green.
+power going to Black/White
(that is getting the indicator light to work)

I am unsure of where the third wire goes...I would assume Yellow but nothing works :(

I have scrolled through countless threads and looked at numerous diagrams but nadda.

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

·
Super Moderator
35,234 Posts
@Gump06 I see this is your first forum post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Have you looked at the fog light switch pin outs, with wire colors, that linked to on my previous post? :confused:

+12V source (switched or not, your choice) - [5] - YL - yellow-blue wire
to relay - [3] - BW - black-white wire

Here's the link again: Fog light switch - bulb replacement The wiring diagram is at the bottom of that post in my Member Journal. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks!

I get the ILLUMINATION to light up (OrW - and Violet +)
I get the INDICATOR to light up when pressed (GR - and BW +)

This leaves only the YB wire from the switch and one wire from the relay. Connecting them does nothing.

·
Super Moderator
35,234 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I reversed those wires, nothing happened except now the INDICATOR light doesn't light up.

Yep, I have been referencing it all afternoon, I' m probably reading it wrong.

How do I wire up the factory switch in place of the illuminated switch that came with my LED kit? Can it be done?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yep

Actually three of the same factory ones, I have been swapping around making sure it isn't something wrong with the switch or harness.

·
Super Moderator
35,234 Posts
Looking at the fog light switch, the switching is done [3] to [5].
As an example, lets place the +12V source on [5]. When the switch is operated, [5] is connected to [3]. If your load... say a relay is connected to [3], it will operate. If you have ground connected to [1], then the bulb will light.

Bobby...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
35,234 Posts
Just to be sure. Are you connecting directly to the switch pins, or byway of the attached connector wire pigtails? :confused:

Let's try some testing...

• With the fog light switch turned off, connect an ohm meter or continuity tester between [3] & [5].
• Operate the fog light switch. The ohm meter should show near zero ohms. If a continuity tester is connected, it will light or sound a tone.

I have a spare SG, '03-'08, fog light switch, so I just did the tests above & I got the results noted.

If you get the results noted above, the fog light switch is working correctly. The problem may be how the auxiliary lighting wiring is connected to the fog light switch?

Bobby...

SG, '03-'08 fog light switch, looking into the back of the switch.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My controller and light setup on my 2018 Foresrer XT

I have a Feniex 4200 mini series controller. Contains a power button and 6 x 3 amp buttons for what you want to turn on and off. Mounted under my radio in the cubby. Very straight-forward install, its waterproof, and all the wiring goes from there along the trim right of the gas pedal and through the engine bay access hole behind the gas pedal.

Once through the firewall it all links up to a fuze/relay cluster I made to contain all the wiring and minimize harness length.

Im using it to power my front mounted winch, rear facing lightpods, 32"in lightbar white light, another button accesses the lightbars amber option. My subwoofer's amp remote wire is wired to it instead of my head unit, as well as my relocated license plate light power wire due to my wilco hitchgate (both on same button), and lastly my ditch lights.

Any questions feel free to reply!

Attachments

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
About this Discussion
40 Replies
13 Participants
Andee
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing