Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we add accessories to our vehicles, such auxiliary lighting or other electrical devices, we often need to add switches to control them.

In my case when I installed a sports front bumper, I ended up with an unused factory fog light switch on the dash (the sports bumper does not have fog lights) so I used it in combination with a relay to control a set of driving lights installed behind the grill.

Have you installed an accessory that required a switch? If so, show your accessory switch installations!

·
Super Moderator
17,704 Posts
I don't have any installation pictures available, but I expect that this wiring diagram of the fog light switch used in 2003 and probably other years of that era would be helpful to anybody planning on using one in a mod.

- The Bar Light is the light that signifies on/off.

- 'Illumination' in Subaru diagrams means a light that helps you find a switch in the dark. These are always connected on both sides (No ground! No hot!) to special control circuitry that handles dimming and is not to be otherwise messed with lest it get blown out. The wires are generally colored Orange with a White Stripe, and Violet. You can tap off of them at nearby switches or at unused connectors intended for options that you don't have. But only use this circuit for its intended purpose and with bulbs of similarly low current requirements, or you risk an expensive blowout.

- Circuits 1 and 2 are for independent applications that are to be simultaneously controlled by the switch. Not all implementations would use both circuits. But if you do need to control two separate things at the same time, don't try doubling them up on one circuit, as very strange things can happen.

- +12 is whatever sort of power you need to use for your application: key on, always on via existing circuitry, straight from the battery—whatever is right in your situation. There is no specification regarding the switch's maximum current rating, so high power applications such as lighting would normally use the switch simply to control a relay, with the relay switching the heavy current straight from the battery via a fuse.

Note that Subaru uses non-standard terminals on its switches, which are difficult to connect to. The best approach is to get the mating connector and its wires from a Forester at a junkyard, and splice it in. (ToddLamp was a big collector of these. Now that he's sold his Forester, he might have some available for sale.)

If you intend to mount the switch in an unused section of a switch panel, you just might find an appropriate connector dangling by itself behind the panel, part of a standard harness intended for an option you don't have. Consider it fodder for cannibalization. And with luck and careful analysis, you might find that some of its wiring is already OK for your new application. Illumination would be a strong candidate.

·
Super Moderator
35,470 Posts
Here's how we installed more switches in our Foresters. :biggrin:

Bobby...

Here's the dash switch panel labeled & ready to be reinstalled into the Forester. More details on this project can be found here in my '07 FSXT Member Journal. The audio rocker switch MOD write up can be viewed here.

This pictures shows the dash switch MOD installed.

Here's what we did in my son's '03 X. More details can be found here in our '03 X Member Journal.

This pictures shows the modules being tested. I selected the LED resistor to get the desired LED brightness. On this project, the LEDs were too bright, so I increased the resistor amount (resistance) until I got the brightness I wanted.

This picture shows the switch modules labeled & installed in my spare dash switch panel, as they'll be installed in the dash.

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have any installation pictures available, but I expect that this wiring diagram of the fog light switch used in 2003 and probably other years of that era would be helpful to anybody planning on using one in a mod.
Thanks - that wiring diagram will come in handy!

·
Super Moderator
35,470 Posts
I wanted mini rocker switches that were easy to install. I found those on eBay, 3 for $10 + free shipping. These are brand name switches, which was a plus! :biggrin:

Bobby...

Looks like a rocker switch, but mounts easily in a round hole!

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some more switches...

I have not used these but they are on my list for my current Center Diff Lock project for use with my transplanted 4EAT-VTD;

Latching push buttons, these would have to be used with a relay for my project but are nice looking switches with good reviews;

Anti-vandal LED Switch, ring style - Push Button on/off Switch

This is an interesting illuminated pull switch from Hella with some decent current-carrying capacity. The style might actually be perfect for my intended use and for placement near the shifter;

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-004778001-Illuminated-Switch-Interchangeable/dp/B000VU7EHG[/ame]

This switch is labeled perfectly for my use but is rather large;

Rocker Switch 234B Universal DIFF LOCK BLUE -Air On Board

If anyone has found other switches of interest, please post them!

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ordered my parts-and-pieces today for my VDC lock switch project. Instead of posting info now, I am going to wait until the install is done. If it works out as I envision, it's going to be a very practical/ergonomic and aesthetically pleasing solution.

I'm probably 3 to 4 weeks out but will post photos when done!

·
Registered
317 Posts
I upgraded my wiring harness for the Hella 500's on the front of my 2000. It came with a really nice switch. I recently got rid of my factory stereo / CD player setup with a JVC single and a DIN pocket. Couldn't find a home for the switch and found it's a perfect fit for the din. Down the road I can add more with no fitment issues!

·
Super Moderator
17,704 Posts
Canonshooter's posts started to verge more into the substance of his Diff Lock mod than sticking to the specific issue of accessory switches. Both of these are useful topics, but I thought it best to keep this thread, now a sticky, tight to the concept of accessory switches, as that's a topic of strong interest across many applications. I have established a new thread specifically for the Diff Lock mod and moved his most recent mod-specific posts there. Here's a link.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Under Radio Tray for Rocker Switches

I upgraded my wiring harness for the Hella 500's on the front of my 2000. It came with a really nice switch. I recently got rid of my factory stereo / CD player setup with a JVC single and a DIN pocket. Couldn't find a home for the switch and found it's a perfect fit for the din. Down the road I can add more with no fitment issues!

I too want to use this DIN tray as a accessory switch panel, but the switch doesn't seem to want to stay in there...how did you get your's to stay in without falling out?

·
Registered
317 Posts
I too want to use this DIN tray as a accessory switch panel, but the switch doesn't seem to want to stay in there...how did you get your's to stay in without falling out?
The switch actually wedges into the din with just a little pressure. I was worried it would keep falling out considering it's not held in by anything but it's been there since July and no issues.

The switch is from Mictunning and I got it from Amazon. They make a lot of switches and harnesses.

Here's a link this this switch: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NUA2258?keywords=mictuning%20light%20switch%27&qid=1451834819&ref_=sr_1_5&sr=8-5[/ame]

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hey Bobby,

I see on your Foresters, you have the later model switch panel with the solid blank on the bottom and the older model with the dual blanks. Is the part that holds the switches the same on both cars? I'm asking because I have an '06 with the solid blank and I just ordered a few switches: a rear fog, headlight level and 2 headlight washer switches (one for the headlights and the other for a future intercooler sprayer project). I'm just wondering if those 2 headlight washer switches will fit in the bottom spot for my solid blank.

Thanks,
Brad

·
Super Moderator
35,470 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yeah it's an option overseas (story of a usdm subie owner's life). Can you recall if the parts from the two foresters appeared the same? No biggie if not. I can just go to a pick and pull yard and get one. I'd just love to see that panel totally outfitted with functional oem switches. I already have a diy switch panel for my other accessories mounted in the center dash so I wanted to keep the left side switches looking stock.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts