Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2004 SG9 manual
24 Posts
I was sitting in my Forester thinking of how I wanted to layout future switches. The switch panel next the steering whee has a lot of real estate available - 2 on top and the the 2 bottoms. My question is, what’s the harness that’s sitting behind one of those blanks? It’s not being used, looks to have about a 6 or 8 conductor connector on it. The 2 switches that are being used are cruise control and fog lights.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,
I recently bought a 2019 Forester Sport to replace my previous jobby vehicle. Amusingly enough, it looks just like the forums cover photo. Love this thing!

On my previous vehicle, I used regular 5 pin rocker switches but I notice the 2019 Forester has smaller slots on the bezel than would fit them. Does anyone know what the size of those switches is, what they are called, OR where I can get a few to set up some accessory lightbars for my jobby?

Thanks in advance for your time, y'all!

·
Registered
2018 Forester MT
7 Posts
I have found there are three types for the newer model Subarus, that are great for light bar projects or other applications that need OEM-style switches that fit directly into existing bezels. Hopefully this helps for those wanting a more OEM look and/or avoiding drilling holes. I believe the part numbers are all correct however please do you own research to confirm.

First is the H4510AL100 aka H4510XC500. This is the newer style for 19+ Foresters and other new model Subarus that have an 8 space bezel. Mine came with a pigtail, red and black are illumination, blue and white are the switched legs. If you have a harness available that is taped up, instead of the blue and white wire there should be a black wire going to ground and another to the fog BIU (red and black will likely be violet and black/white stripe in this case).

Second is the H4510FJ000 for 14-18 Foresters, older Crosstreks, and other Subarus with a 6-space bezel. There should be a harness taped up that plugs right in for the fog switch, this appears to be on all models even if the turn stalk has a fog switch already. Cutting the red/yellow wire running to the fog BIU and splicing the end from the switch (or removing the pin and replacing it with a spare pin and wire from a junk harness) to the grounded pin of relays or low-watt LEDs will allow you to use this without interfering with the fog light circuit.

The third is actually an aftermarket non-OEM switch by Winjet, that fits the 14-15 Forester and other Subarus with the 6 space bezel with older style dimmer in the adjacent blanked spot (the newer bezels have a slightly smaller dimmer so the blank opening is too small to fit). Unlike the OEM ones this is designed to switch 12V rather than ground to an output, and has two internal LEDs so you can either wire them at a constant brightness or have it illuminate the second LED only when the switch is pressed.

An interesting side note is that if you have a 16-18 base/premium with just the VDC switch, you can use a bezel from the 17-18 Limited/Touring and put the newer style fog switch into the spot where the blind spot off button normally goes next to the dimmer (it will stick out slightly however). Additionally, you can re-pin the VDC connector to the lower style button to free up the upper right space, there are quite a few combinations that can provide two or three switches on a single bezel if you are willing to swap pins around on the harnesses.

IMG_1834.jpg IMG_8200.jpg IMG_6455.jpg

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would like to see photos of mounted accessory switches from anyone with 2019/2020.
I wouldn't mind finding some seitches that fit in the OEM switch panel to the left of the steering wheel.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
18 Posts
Show me your LED switches. Have a 2019 Sport and will be installing front LED bars and ones that will face the back of the vehicle. Interested in seeing how others set up their switches. Photos and links to the switches are welcomed.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts