Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Editorial Content
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The 2019 Subaru Ascent has made its official debut in Los Angeles, marking the arrival of the largest Subaru-badged vehicle to date.

The Ascent is aimed at young, growing families and is intended to help Subaru retain the customers that once had to leave the brand in order to get themselves into a larger vehicle. It rides on a lengthened version of the Subaru Global Platform (SGP) that also underpins the Impreza and Crosstrek. It will have three rows of seating, with the second row available with either a three-seat bench or two captain’s chairs at no extra cost. All versions but the base model will be available with the captain’s chairs, which are typically reserved for more premium trim levels in competing products.

Read more about The 2019 Subaru Ascent is Made for Americans and Their American Stuff at AutoGuide.com.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,450 Posts
NPR's weekly news and humor program, Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me, had fun today with the report that the Ascent apparently boasts 19 cup holders. Assuming full occupancy of the Ascent and the cup holders, they calculated how many minutes between bathroom breaks might be expected.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
274 Posts
Please have an 8cyl twin turbo, Please have an 8cyl twin turbo, Please have an 8cyl twin turbo....damn it.

·
Registered
2009 Forester Limited A/T
118 Posts
The article stated it's 4 cylinder 2.4 liter in turbo. I don't think Subaru has a 8 cylinder in it's inventory, maybe they can take the 6 cylinder (3.6 liter) from the Outback and add a twin turbo.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
274 Posts
The article stated it's 4 cylinder 2.4 liter in turbo. I don't think Subaru has a 8 cylinder in it's inventory, maybe they can take the 6 cylinder (3.6 liter) from the Outback and add a twin turbo.
I was being facetious. Too many people care about saving ~$300 a year in fuel for us speed demons to have a more powerful engine option. This thing will likely weigh ~30% more an FXT with only ~5% more power, which means I'll be looking elsewhere when I its time for a larger vehicle. Don't get me wrong, this thing looks great, lots of bells and whistles and at least it can tow more than 1,500#.

·
Registered
2014 Forester MT
91 Posts
Based on public info, the engine hp and torque is rated for 87 octane. Nth else was said whether putting premium gas in may increase the power.. Like the new Mazda and Honda vehicles, which allow the use of 87 octane but if u put in 91, it'll yield higher hp. I wonder if such thing exist for subaru but not announced.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS 4-speed Automatic
15 Posts
I will admit this is a beautiful SUV, but the 4cyl for such a large vehicle leaves me worried, not to mention I found myself buying a Subaru specifically because of their smaller size. It looks like I'll still be a Forester guy for my next daily!

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i CVT
613 Posts
I will admit this is a beautiful SUV, but the 4cyl for such a large vehicle leaves me worried, not to mention I found myself buying a Subaru specifically because of their smaller size. It looks like I'll still be a Forester guy for my next daily!
It's better than a crappy 6cyl.

https://www.torquenews.com/1084/how-new-subaru-ascent-24l-engine-compares-competition-s-v6-power

Subaru will build the Ascent on its new Global Platform and the new 2.4-liter twin-scroll turbocharged four-cylinder boxer engine sits under the hood producing 260hp and 277 lb. ft of torque.The Ascent 2.4-liter twin turbo four cylinder is their new-generation boxer engine developed specifically for this vehicle that’s built at Subaru’s U.S. factory in Lafayette, Indiana.

Compared to its Japanese rivals, Toyota Highlander is powered by a 3.5-liter V6 producing 295hp and 263 lb ft of torque. Nissan Pathfinder is powered by a 3.5-liter V6 Direct Injection Gasoline (DIG) engine producing 284hp and 259 lb-ft of torque. Honda Pilot also gets a 3.5-liter V6 engine producing 280hp and 262 lb ft of torque. The Mazda CX-9 is powered by a 2.5-liter turbo engine producing 250hp and 310 lb ft of torque.
2nd only to the Mazda (which is also a 4cyl).

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS 4-speed Automatic
15 Posts
It's better than a crappy 6cyl.

2nd only to the Mazda (which is also a 4cyl).
That is good to know! Though the size is still a factor for me. I'm enjoying the narrow footprint of my Forester and probably won't be straying much farther unless forced hahaha

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,835 Posts
I've driven all of the candidates, and speaking for myself, here's how I would order them.

Power: Pilot, CX-9, Highlander, Pathfinder.

Comfort: Pilot, CX-9, Pathfinder, Highlander.

Quality/Finish (interior) - CX-9, Pilot, Highlander, Pathfinder.

Driving - Pilot, CX-9, Highlander, Pathfinder.

SO, clearly, the Pilot is better, for me, but I hope the Ascent beats it, because as far as utility? I preferred the previous generation Pilot to this newest one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts