Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester WG 4spdATM
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, hit my first deer. I'm not a hunter, but I sure would have rather killed my first deer with something other than my Sub.

Insurance estimate for what I thought was just a little dent and a bumper is $1900. Wow. That's expensive venison. I shoulda picked up the deer and had it butchered at that cost.

But at least I had a low deductible on my comp.

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,929 Posts
Suggestion: Get a Hornet XP-3 Deer Avoidance device......I've had them on our cars since 2004 and they really are a huge help. Nothing is 100% effective when a deer is in full run mode, especially during the rut BUT they do work........

Just my 2 cents but I try to hype inventions that really work because I'm a product designer and appreciate good concepts.......

Easy to install, a piece of cake on SGs and probably as easy on SHs............

Good luck.....we hit 3 deer in 2 years when we lived in NJ....installed the XP-3s on both cars and not a single close call afterwards.....

Steve

·
Registered
2006 Forester WG 4spdATM
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Suggestion: Get a Hornet XP-3 Deer Avoidance device......I've had them on our cars since 2004 and they really are a huge help. Nothing is 100% effective when a deer is in full run mode, especially during the rut BUT they do work........

Just my 2 cents but I try to hype inventions that really work because I'm a product designer and appreciate good concepts.......

Easy to install, a piece of cake on SGs and probably as easy on SHs............

Good luck.....we hit 3 deer in 2 years when we lived in NJ....installed the XP-3s on both cars and not a single close call afterwards.....

Steve
Worth considering... I live in the WV mountains outside Morgantown and deer are a constant sight; I just never actually hit one before. I am pretty aware of them as I drive, but the one I hit was just over a ridge and it sprang out of a thicket. If I have a nice clear stretch, I'll see them. But nice clear stretches are rare here.

hmmm...I might want to look into their effectiveness over uneven ground before purchasing...up and down is far more common in my area than side to side, if you know what I mean. I'm not sure this device would be at maximum effectiveness where I hit my deer, since the reflected sound waves would have been traveling far over its head.

·
Banned
2000 Forester L
315 Posts
Glad you are OK.

I've only hit a deer once. I was driving on a county rd at about 45 or 50 mph in my old Thuderbird Super Coupe. It was a curvy road and very fun for spirited driving (but not at night because of this exact scenario). I come around a bend and there was a deer walking in the opposite shoulder starting to cross the road. I grabbed the wheel firmly and pushed both feet in. With both middle and left pedals in I grabbed the shifter into neutral. The ABS vibrated my feet and I came to a halt just as I bumped the deer's back leg. He went skidding off into the ditch and laid there. I hit the hazards, grabbed the e-brake and got out. I walked over there and he looked up at me, got up and ran away.

I kind of laughed and walked back to my car to se if there is any damage. There was nothing wrong but a little bit of hair in the hood/bumper gap and headlight area. The plastic must have flexed slightly and cracked the paint. I had to adjust my headlight and pull the hair out but, no harm-no foul.

·
Registered
2009 & Jamboree Motorhome
347 Posts
So, hit my first deer. I'm not a hunter, but I sure would have rather killed my first deer with something other than my Sub.

Insurance estimate for what I thought was just a little dent and a bumper is $1900. Wow. That's expensive venison. I shoulda picked up the deer and had it butchered at that cost.

But at least I had a low deductible on my comp.
Sorry to hear you hit the deer.. Glad no one was hurt.. Also $1900 not to much damage.. And you are right, at least getting to eat some good back strap would make you feel better.. Or at least the wine you drank with it would..

We have lots of deer around here, even several in the yard most of the time.. We have hit a few but worst for us a couple years back I hit a big buck that came off a high ridge beside the road.. Landed about 10 feet in front of me, facing me.. At 70 mph there was nothing I could do.. Our Mercedes wagon was a total.. But on one hurt.. We run deer horns and they do help but some times nothing will help but then thats why we buy insurance..

Snowdance

Flickr: snowdance38's Photostream

·
aka DMax in Alaska
'06 Mini Cooper S JCW 6MT
786 Posts
Beats hitting a 1000 lb deer...aka Moose. :icon_eek:

Glad to hear you and your car faired OK.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
82 Posts
Sorry to hear about your foz. It's good to see someone else from around Morgantown on here finally.

Any pics of the damage?

·
Registered
2006 Forester WG 4spdATM
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually, The only way I could show the damage in a pic size that wouldn't overwhelm the forum is a straight on shot and I haven't taken any post-venison - or rather, have not uploaded them from the camera, actually.

Dude, definitely good to have another local! I'm still basically a transplant, but I'm here for the long haul.

Thanx everyone for the positive vibes. Will be scheduling the repair Wed., gonna see if I can swap out the standard grill for a sport grill at the same time. It's one of the first mods I want to make... that and getting the windows tinted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts