Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had a bad coupla days this week. My wife called me Wednesday night and sounded pretty shook up, explaining that one of our cats, Gretta, seemed to be going downhill fast. She's been sorta sick for a while now, something screwy with her sinuses, and the vet has not been able to figure out the problem even after a CAT-scan. That's not a joke - we actually had them do a CAT-scan on her.

Okay, it IS kinda funny, but maybe in some other context.

The best they could surmise was some bacterial infection but couldn't pin it down. We've been giving her medicine for a few months now but it just kept getting worse. I left for my trip down to Madison on Monday and she seemed okay, relatively speaking, at the time. So the call from Marcy came as a small surprise to me. We had just been discussing taking Gretta down to the University vet school in Madison but they're booked tight for weeks out.

The next morning, Thursday, she called again in tears, saying that Gretta was barely moving, just sorta laying on her side and had been having trouble getting a drink of water the night before. I decided that her time had come and told Marcy to take her to the vet and have her euthanized. The poor girl didn't make it - she died on the way there.

I know that many folks will say "it's just a cat," but Gretta has been with me for longer than my wife has. I got her from the on-base adoption agency when I was stationed in Spain, back in the spring of 1990. I started dating my wife after we met over there in Dec 1990. So that little girl has been with us through my marriage, several changes of address, a couple jobs, various minor family crises, and the rest.

She passed on Thursday morning about 9:30am. Marcy called and told me she was gone and I turned into a blubbering basket-case. I tried to pull it together since I was working at a customer site and managed fairly well, but still had some moments. For a few months now, I've had a picture of Gretta as my laptop wallpaper so when I fired up the computer in the hotel room that night, it was pretty rough. I talk a big game but when it comes to this sort of thing, I'm a giant sissy-boy - always have been, always will be.

I decided I couldn't sit and stew on it all night, wallowing in misery. Life goes on and you gotta concentrate on the positive stuff. So after thinking of all the good stuff about Gretta, I fired up the forum and just surfed mindlessly for a couple hours. Took my mind off it pretty well and I was much better off the next day.

Another forum member selflessly has offered to help me out with something concerning this and I appreciate his generosity. But I also want to say thanks to the site owners, administrators, and other members for keeping things on a positive up-tick, and for giving me some much-needed laughs. I belong to a couple other forums but haven't bothered to visit them since her health went sour - they can't match this place when it comes to keeping things light and polite.

Anyway, when I can walk in without busting up in tears I'll be making a donation, in subaruforester.org's name, to our local Humane Society office. You probably don't realize you were doing anything different than normal, but you sure helped me out. Thanks.

·
Registered
2006 Forester X
15 Posts
Dan,

Sorry to hear about Gretta, have been down the same road a few years ago with a cat that had been in the family for a long time - just concentrate on the good memories.

Although I have to admit that it is a little entertaining to see the looks you get after stating that "Oh, I have to go. I have an appointment with the neurologist." Which leads to all of the usual questions about your health, and then you reply "Oh, not for me, its for my cat."

Mike

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
3,969 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your loss......I know exactly how a pet lover feels.

My sister runs a non profit charity called P.A.W.S. (Peoples animal welfare society) in the Toronto area.....we (they) have roughly 65 cats (of all breeds...you name it we have it......kittens & adults) that are available for adoption (all have their shots etc). It's is also strictly a 'no killing' organization.

There is a website, but I do not want anyone to get the impression I am advertising for the charity or anything like that as that is not the case.

We also have 'our own' Cats that are not up for adoption....we lost one back in August to cancer (I can relate to the extensive testing that vet's do on animals as it's the exact same as Humans ....with chemo therapy, surgery & the works depending on whatever illness the animal has. It can be truly heartbraking as they are one of the family.

Thought I would share that with everyone. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Dan, I'm so sorry to hear that.
I can imagine your sadness. We lost our beloved 17 year old friend Drexel (a fox terrier) a few months ago due to cancer. My heart nearly broke to pieces. They are one more of the family :(

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,097 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear of this, Dan, and happy that our presence here is of aid to you. We've gone from a peak of four cats and a dog down to just one cat, Simon the Survivor. He's well into his teens by now. We miss every one of them.

Yes, life goes on. The day my father died I went out and bought shrimp and steak and made myself a wonderful dinner. It helped me celebrate a wonderful life, and it was lots better than just feeling sorry for myself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts