Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2002 S
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No injuries in overnight accident on Atkins Street
MERIDEN - Atkins Street was closed through the morning hours and local residents lost power for about five hours following an accident on Atkins Street Monday night.
Police said the accident involved just one car, which had rolled over and also hit a utility pole, but there were no serious injuries in the crash. The name of the driver has not been released.
The accident caused damage to the utility pole and staff with Connecticut Light and Power was forced to repair the damages. Power was cut to those in the local area, but was restored around 5 a.m.
The road reopened to all traffic just before 8:30 a.m., police said.
Unfortunately, I have to say that my Forester and I were involved in this.

Last night, I was coming home from Robotics, it's dark and raining, and I'm going the usual route I take home. I was alone in the car. I didn't have my phone out, radio was off, and I just put new wipers on. I just shift into 4th, at around 35 mph, in a straight section of the road. I see a pothole coming up, and this road is notorious for potholes, so I quickly swerve a bit around the pothole, however, the back end starts to kick loose from under me, and being inexperienced with handling oversteer, I overcorrect, sending me sliding the opposite way, diagonal to the left side of the street. I panic and slam on the brakes, which may or may not have been the smartest thing to do, and the car slides out even more. The front end clips either the pole or the curb first, right by the front passenger wheel, and I watched in slow-motion as the car flips on it's passenger side and lays to rest. I check myself to see if everything's alright, and I'm hanging by the seat belt (seat bels save lives!) and the engine is stalled. I unbuckle and jump down, and I open the moonroof(which was still functional) and climbed out. Neighbors are coming out, checking to see if i'm alright, if anyone is in the car, and calling the police. I assure them that I'm fine, no cuts, bruises or anything. It's still raining as hell out, so I call my dad at home. I was really shaken up and pumped on adrenaline, even though it was a slow crash, but overall, I'm alright.

I went to the auto-body place where they towed the car after school. The body held on very well, it's all straight, save for a few scratches. The doors are dented, but shut, and the entire right side is crumpled. The two right wheels are bent, probably bent struts, control arms, and axels. Assessment: totalled. Everything stayed straight, nothing collapsed. Thank you Subaru, your good engineering probably saved my life.

Here's some pictures. I just finished putting on my new mudflaps I made, and I was about to post about it too. It hurts to look at. :(

I still can't believe what just happened. I owned her for just over 2 months, it ran perfect, and I wanted to keep her forever. Everything seems like just a dream right now.

I know this seems like I am an irresponsible 17 year old, but my friends can attest to that I'm usually a very safe driver. I've been driving for more than 2 years, and I had my license for a bit more than 1 year. I don't speed, eat, or do other things while in the car. I pay attention to traffic, and I'm not easily distracted. I'm just glad that no one else was involved, or else it would have been a lot worse. Life comes at you fast, because this accident could have ended with a completely different story. All of you guys be careful driving out there. Think twice before doing some stupid stuff in public roads. You or someone else could get injured, and you don't want to live with that. This experience has definitely opened my eyes to driving and life in general. It's a big deal, totaling your first car, and quite expensive too. I hope I never have to experience something like this ever again. :icon_frown::icon_frown:

Take care and stay safe, Ben.

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
I know this seems like I am an irresponsible 17 year old, but my friends can attest to that I'm usually a very safe driver.
Well glad to hear Subaru saved another life but if what you say is accurate this sounds more like inexperience than irresponsibility. Unfortunately the ability to properly control the car during a skid IMO comes from experience and practice more than anything. Minor corrections are always better in bad conditions and never slam on the brakes unless the car is going straight.

Glad to hear you came out ok.

·
Registered
2002 S
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. In the future, I'll definitely be back in the Subaru family. I can't help but hear enough about how well Subies hold up in crashes. I know I won't be driving for a while now, as insurance rates are probably gonna go up. Plus, I'm not going to commute to college, so there's no point in having a car there either.

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,658 Posts
Happens to the best of us, glad another brother (and sisters here) has walked away unscathed from a car crash.

As others has said, I don't think it was you not being a good driver but rather experience (comes with age). I would advise trying to practice manuvers in a controlled environment (preferably a driving school) for wet an out of control conditions. Using acceleration with AWD probably would have turned out a little better, but that is something that requires experience/training.

Hope your next Subaru can serve you just as well.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,054 Posts
Glad to hear you are okay, I'll have to wait till I get home to see the pics they are blocked here at work. What happened could easily of happened to most of us in the early years of driving. Not something reckless which is good. Something that is always worth doing is going to the local autocross. Local clubs love new people and are willing to help. This really teaches you your car's abilities in a safe and legal place. Also, BMW does an inexpensive street survival course I understand is great.

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,936 Posts
Don't sweat it, man:

You're live and well, the car did what it was supposed to and you'll pick up experience as you get older. Your post sounds like you're a responsible young guy and the experience, bad though it was, will toughen you for the next car.........better that you got an early lesson in skid control w/o any injuries or other property damage so you can practice on your next car.

I used to take my car into a parking lot in the winter and just try to get a skid going so I could practice..........water on the road is another thing entirely and it's easier to throw any car into a skid.

Consider this a "teachable" moment and get on with life........

Steve

·
Registered
2002 S
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad to hear you are okay, I'll have to wait till I get home to see the pics they are blocked here at work. What happened could easily of happened to most of us in the early years of driving. Not something reckless which is good. Something that is always worth doing is going to the local autocross. Local clubs love new people and are willing to help. This really teaches you your car's abilities in a safe and legal place. Also, BMW does an inexpensive street survival course I understand is great.
:tissue: Aw, don't remind me. I was planning on getting into some local SCCA auto-x events to check it out, after I got some better suspension put in. Sadly though, it will have to wait until I get a car, which will be a while. :icon_frown:

·
Registered
2002 S
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used to take my car into a parking lot in the winter and just try to get a skid going so I could practice..........water on the road is another thing entirely and it's easier to throw any car into a skid.

Steve
I did that this past winter, I though I would get a feel for how the car would handle at it's limit, albeit, with snow in mind. In snow, the car won't rotate back around like it did in the rain, plus in big parking lots, getting into a skid was expected, and I was able to properly straighten it out. It just happens so much more quickly in the rain.

I also didn't get much winter driving experience on public roads, I just took the major roadways everywhere.

·
Registered
2004 Forester
71 Posts
Did you have insurance?

GLad you are ok, that is the main thing!

Can always buy another car, but you cant buy another life!

·
Registered
:(
471 Posts
Thats a bummer =( Glad your ok and walked away from it all. An accident is just that, an accident! Props to the Foz for getting you through it safely.

·
TANSTAAFL
2010 2.5X Premium AFF 4EAT
472 Posts
Good to hear you're OK and able to tell us about it. The Sube, like any favorite ride it was very unfortunate but they all can be repaired or replaced. You can't, and you came through it AOK.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts