Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other morning, my 2001 Forester met up with a passing deer. My last car (2006 Corolla) met with the same fate a month ago. The Corolla was totalled, which brought me into the Subaru. The Forester (now known as The Green Monster) not only survived, but with relatively minor damage. Side mirror cracked, passenger headlight out, and a dent in the hood. A very small dent. The body shop said the front brush guard saved the car.

Long live Subaru!!! Look out Kansas deer! I ride on!

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
:lol:

Not laughing at you, but with you for the positive attitude (even if the shenanigan cost you a Corolla - sorry to hear that).

So....did you happened to snap a few photos of the second encounter?

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X Premiu
83 Posts
What bad luck. I've been driving about 35 years and have managed never to hit one. One clipped my rear fender with its hoof one time though.

Of course, I go slow at dusk/night, and scan the shoulders for deer activity.

I've counted over 50 live ones in a single commute.

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
1 - 0 Forester!!!

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,936 Posts
We used to live in Central Western Jersey where the deer and the antelope reign.......hit dear 3 times in my wife's late 1998 CRV.

1) Fawn ran out from side of single lane country road and literally ran under the car, just behind the front wheel. No damage to car, of course but poor deer was mangled on the road......so, being animal lovers, we picked the deer up, slid it in the rear of the CRV and off we went to a vet to have the deer put down........deer starts thrashing in rear of car, front leg comes OFF during thrashing, hooves flying around, almost kicked rear window out, spewing blood all over the rear. Got to vet in 5 minutes and poor fawn was put to sleep. Back of CRV was a slaughter house..........wife distraught, me almost sick to my gut.

2) Driving at dusk on adjacent road and going all of 25 MPH, herd of deer appear from left side of road and start jumping over the roadway....all deer about 20 feet ahead of me as I stopped slowly....when another deer came flying out of the brush and landed just ahead of the car while it was going about 10 MPH. Damage: $2500-, buckled hood, damaged headlamp, leaking radiator, broken grill and damaged fender.

3) Wife was driving a year later in same area, ran into a huge buck that decided to strut out in front of her. This time, deer was put down by a hunter who passed while deer struggled and wife sobbed. Damage: $3500- hood, both headlamps, grill radiator, cross member, bumper, fender, and other assorted bits.

While I lived up in New York State, it was common, especially during the "rut" to read news reports about drivers who had actually been decapitated by the deer coming thru the windshields...........

So: we know all about deer........and picked up a set of XP-3 Hornet devices which really saved our lives many time over. Still on our cars up here......not sure about how well moose are deterred by the XP3 but they're a bit of a safety net. 70% effective and we believe it from our own experience(s).....

Steve

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,936 Posts
Ha ha........mooses (meeces?) are a tad large, even for a Subaru!

One thing, seriously, that "saved" us from worse damage (or injury)was that the CRV sits higher off the ground than my 03 Forester. Not sure that the pre-SH Forries would fare as well........

Steve

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
702 Posts
+1 for the brush guard. Now, for those with an appetite for grisly road kill pics (myself included!), revisit last years epic thread "Fozzies Like Venison" by Captain Fish. Remember he hit the deer and it became embedded (or digested?) in his engine bay?
Steve
09 2.5X AT

·
Registered
2001 Forester
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here are the pics...

The damage really isn't all that bad looking, considering i hit and killed a deer...

You will notice that one picture has the front grill cover on the car, in the next, it is off with the radiator exposed. The grill fasteners snapped off, so right now the cover is being held on with duct tape (greatest invention ever!) until the repairs are made in a week and a half.

Car lives, driver lives, deer...well, no deer.

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 Forester
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry, no grizzled pictures

Only minor vehicle damage. No picture of dead deer or hoofs.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Toysbyus...

Story #1 from toysbyus is both unnerving and at the same time one of the funniest stories I've read in a LONG time.

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,936 Posts
It gets better!

Just after we got the 1998 CRV, I was busy installing all sorts of OEM parts on it so it was my wife's car but my project.

When it was 2 weeks old or so, my wife took it out on an afternoon drive when the sky was dark and threatening. Sky opened up, it hailed like crazy.

She drove home, parked the car. I went out and almost fell over.......hail dings ALL OVER the roof and hood!!!....and it was a new car!

This CRV was doomed from day one, it appears.........

Still, it served us well except for its unexpected end with the engine crapping out at 147K.

Steve

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X Premiu
83 Posts
Story #1 from toysbyus is both unnerving and at the same time one of the funniest stories I've read in a LONG time.
Which part was it, exactly, that you found funny?

·
Registered
2001 Forester
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was juxtaposing the story of the deer in the back of the car with the scene in Planes Trains & Automobiles.

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,936 Posts
Naturally, I didn't see the movie. I can report that the back of the CVRV looked like an abetoir (Monty Python used to refer to slaughter houses as them, I think)....bllod and fur all over the rear cargo area..........

Steve

1 - 19 of 19 Posts