Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester X MT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I've been lurking for a while. I have been researching a replacement for my 1995 Saturn station wagon for some time now. I want a manual trans AWD station wagon with good fuel economy. After much research, I have determined an Outback or Forester is a good fit. I prefer the more utilitarian Forester. There is a 2006 Forester for sale locally. As a new user, i cannot post a link, but it is the nearest 2006 manual transmission model to zip 43229 on Autotrader. I am going to test drive it tomorrow. Any advice on what to look for? I am a decent DIY mechanic, but if I decide to buy, I will take it to a local shop to have it fully inspected. I am in no big hurry to buy, as my other car runs fine, but I am ready for something different. Alternatively, I can afford a new one, but this option would be a last resort if I cannot find a good used one by winter. Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
I'll assume it's one or the other of the listings, at least this has a pic.
2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 X

If that was the car, would you have considered this car 2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 X Premium . For a bit more money you get a lower mileage car and the premium package with all the amenities.

I realize it is not a manual but unless you are totally against driving an auto,:crazy: I would consider it. When you look at some of the modded cars here you will find many more auto's than you would think, in my opinion, and they handle the additional power far beyond what you will have with a NA Forester.

The first car is going to require the timing belt and assorted tensioners, idlers and while you are in there the water pump should be changed.
The second will by you some time before having to do those items at approximately 105,000 miles.

Make sure any of the cars you look at have matching tires, preferably make and size. Most of these cars will get some minimal servicing, oil, cooling fluid, changes so keep in mind that with any transmission you get change the differential and transmission fluids. If you have a little hand held mirror and falshlight you can position the mirror under the cylinder heads and illuminate the underneath for head gasket leaks.

And just to confuse your choices some more, this one may have some wiggle room on the price since it is being sold privately and they may have some service records you can look at. Just a thought....
2005 Subaru Forester 2.5 XS and it's a manual!

You'll often hear the members say that they travelled outside of there vicinity to find the right car, and since you have a car already consider a road trip to find the right one.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
2006 Forester X MT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the car checks out. There were a couple of scuffs, but nothing major. The car handles and accelerates nicely. Engine / head gasket area is dry. It is the 2006 manual transmission with 79K, they are asking just under 11K. I actually think it is a pretty fair price, but I will try for 10,500. I will have it inspected at a local shop on Tuesday before I finalize the deal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts