Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone see the 'Herald-Sun' on Friday of last week?
Ford seem to be close to release of the Territory Turbo.
I think it said they are using the XR6 engine.
Unfortunatley i've thrown out the paper, i was going to read it again.
Anyone else read it?
I doubt the stock vehicle will be a true challenger for an XT - they appear pretty heavy cars, but it could be a weapon if messed with by FPV.
Isn't the XR6 is a bit of a petrol guzzler too.
I thought Ford might have come up with somthing different for the scoop.
It looked like it was lifted straight off the front of my FXT!
They have no imagination.
Justin.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Melbfxt said:
but it could be a weapon if messed with by FPV.
I agree, or any one of the multitude of tuners out there such as A.P.S or C.A.P.A who extract 300+kW's out of the Falcons without even breaking a sweat. They will be all over this like a rash.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
Besides for the scoop the ford's styling really reminds me of the new tahoe

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Broadbean,
Great link.
The pic is from a much better angle than the paper.
I agree, they are a good looking Ford - since they have a Subaru scoop!
"The six cylinder turbo engine delivers a stunning 245 kilowatts of power, making it the most powerful turbo in its class*."

Sounds very thirsty to me.

"If the bonnet scoop hadn't already convinced you, the exterior of this Territory makes it the sportiest looking SUV yet."

Surely thay jest.

"The interior is an understated picture of luxury."

Salesman speak for expensive.
I guess we'll have to wait till July

Justin.

M

·
0 Posts
The Territory is already a pretty decent car - and car it is given it's Falcon based. Witht he turbo, I cant really think of a better tow car. Probably about the only thing that could get me to jump ship

·
German tech
MY16 Audi S3 Sedan DSG 6 speed
3,563 Posts
Marcus said:
The Territory is already a pretty decent car - and car it is given it's Falcon based. Witht he turbo, I cant really think of a better tow car. Probably about the only thing that could get me to jump ship
If it had used the Jag 2.7L diesel would have been a great addition to the lineup.

The Terry is already hard on juice and not much ground clearance

A little too slab sided for me and overly big but for those with the need for room and power (and deep wallets for fuel), this is another option for sure.

Competes well with the likes of the V8 X5 and Cayenne dollar for dollar

·
Casper reincarnated
2,245 Posts
broadbean said:
I think the Territory is one of the better looking Fords out there. Much better than the Falcon! :lol:

https://www.ford.com.au/motorshow/melbourne2006/territoryturbo/index.asp

Don't know how long the links will last. Thanks for the heads up.
No thanks!!!!
The Fords have yet to prove their longevity & reliability like the Subaru before I would even entertain any thoughts about them let alone think of buying one.

:-| :-| :-| :-|

H

·
0 Posts
Don't quote me here but I'm pretty sure I read that it will have the same output and torque as the XR6T.... but with an added 400 kgs or thereabouts.... which is the difference between an ordinary Territory and Falcon.... If that is the case deep pockets may indeed be a handy accessory.....

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Guy's,
The latest as per Herald-Sun 17/2/06, for those who haven't seen.

Pic of Russell Ingall & Craig Lowndes unveiling new Territory Turbo. (In go-fast RED of course.)
"Ford president Tom Gorman says there are no immediate plans for an FPV version of the brand's cut-price Porsche Cayenne Turbo"

- Who are they kidding, comparing a Ford to the Porsche Turbo.!!!

But they do go on to say that there is no reason it couldnt exist and they wont rule it out in the future.

And for those interested, an oil-burner still isnt out of the question.
"We're still looking at diesel. It's still underway, but we have nothing to announce yet" - Tom Gorman.

Justin.

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
The Territory gets a top mount i/c compared to the XR6 turbos front mount, hence the scoop.
Supposedly this was to not lose its offroad ability.

I think the Territory is good, its selling well and I think its fitting a bit of the market between the smaller 4wd (like the Forester) and the more truck like 4wds. While its still pretty heavy its got to be a better and safer drive than the Patrol and Landcruiser and a more sensible choice for the suburbs.

So good on Ford for giving it a turbo model. I wouldnt sway the XT for it, but I think its a good vehicle for the same reasons the XT is a good option.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DN,
Your right, the Ford is currently selling very well and i'm sure it will as a turbo.
Surely the papers are unkind though, in comparing it to a Porsche.
I dont believe that many Territory's actually make it off road.
The Ford design team could surely have been a little more creative with their scoop design.

Justin.

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
Melbfxt said:
DN,
Your right, the Ford is currently selling very well and i'm sure it will as a turbo.
Surely the papers are unkind though, in comparing it to a Porsche.
Ok its not going to be the same as the Porsche - but its not that big a stretch as there really isnt much to compare it to.

If you want to look at "performance suvs" then you could argue that the market is XT, Turbo Territory, Cayenne. Yes that covers a lot of $s. Each is almost alone in its own category and so its not that silly to compare them to each other.
So I guess the question is more - why not compare it to the Forester XT?
Im sure its roomier and has other benefits, but how does it go compared to the XT.

The Ford design team could surely have been a little more creative with their scoop design.
And Subaru could have made the MY06 look a bit less like the Territory!!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DN,
I'm sure that there will be many comparisons to the XT, but i still cant put the Ford in the class of a Porsche.
There are a few Cayenne's around near work - man they go hard when pushed.
I've not sat beside one yet, but witnessed a few that should have had wings!

Subaru must be in Ford's sights.
Have you driven the XR6? They are meant to be a good thing.
It should be fair to say that if Ford are going to take on Subaru at their own game, they will be looking for some marked improvements on a XT.
SatNav and heated seats may not be enough.
Do you think they can cut it with all that weight?

Who knows, this might be just what i needed to get my @ss into gear for a couple of mod's. If only i can sell it to the wife.

Justin.

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
Id predict that the Turbo Territory will outsell the XT.
Why?
Because the Territory easily out sells the Forester and Id guess that about the same percentage might want the turbo model.

It might be hard to know as I havent seen figures for the XT, just the normal monthly vfacts numbers for the Forester total.

·
Registered
209 Posts
dicknose said:
Why?
Because the Territory easily out sells the Forester and Id guess that about the same percentage might want the turbo model.

It might be hard to know as I havent seen figures for the XT, just the normal monthly vfacts numbers for the Forester total.
I agree. Fleet buyers will lap them up as alternatives to the higher end falcons/fairmonts/commondores/calais etc, I know my old man's company are already giving their staff with company cars the option of a territory rwd (before they were Falcon and Fairmonts only). Bigger advertising budget than Subaru. Plus its not hard for them to beat the XT lead times, they are woeful, only die-hard punters (like us) hang in there for 6-8 weeks

·
German tech
MY16 Audi S3 Sedan DSG 6 speed
3,563 Posts

The fewer XT's on the road the better IMO :Banane36:

I've yet to see one like mine (colour/year) up here and I'm happy for it to stay that way.

Maybe I'm the only stupid fool silly enough to buy one :wtfeyes

1 - 20 of 22 Posts