Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Forester Premium
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That’s what I got from a Subaru dealer:
Subaru Forester Premium with All Weather package (pckg 14) .
Bucket seats and manual rear gate.
MSRP: $ 29,210
Selling price: $ 27,149
Money factor: 0.00165
Residual: $ 18,110
Taxes: $ 1,210 (8.875% Nyc)
36 months/10k
Due at signing: $229 (dmv)
Monthly: $ 390

Alternatively they offered $ 378 monthly with around $1000 DAS.
Forester touring will be more than $460 monthly.
Currently I’m paying $279 for similarly equipped Forester with lease expiring in January.
I told the dealer it doesn’t make sense leasing a Subaru with these numbers and he agreed that lease numbers suck these days

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
71 Posts
3 factors contributing to this.
Little to no dealer discount.
High money factor / interest rate
Low residual value.

The only thing you can change is the dealer discount. Everything else is set firm by the bank.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,241 Posts
You are always going to lose on a new car because of depreciation... In your example that is 40% of the cost and a large portion on the lease payment..
You might consider a CPO vehicle which will have an intact warranty, and the major depreciation hit has already been inflicted on someone else.
Unfortunately on the new Subaru's, all that no longer optional electronic safety equipment and features that many on the forum try to permanently disable (like auto stop start) drives up the cost of the car. Sadly, this makes the current Subaru offerings less affordable.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Automatic
5 Posts
That’s what I got from a Subaru dealer:
Subaru Forester Premium with All Weather package (pckg 14) .
Bucket seats and manual rear gate.
MSRP: $ 29,210
Selling price: $ 27,149
Money factor: 0.00165
Residual: $ 18,110
Taxes: $ 1,210 (8.875% Nyc)
36 months/10k
Due at signing: $229 (dmv)
Monthly: $ 390
View attachment 527374 View attachment 527375
Alternatively they offered $ 378 monthly with around $1000 DAS.
Forester touring will be more than $460 monthly.
Currently I’m paying $279 for similarly equipped Forester with lease expiring in January.
I told the dealer it doesn’t make sense leasing a Subaru with these numbers and he agreed that lease numbers suck these days
The lease proposal is not really off. Over the life of the lease, the extras don't add much to the residual but do add to cost. It also looks like you are not making any kind of up front payment, which would significantly lower your lease payments. The standard deal in my area is $279 a month without the package you want and with a $2700 down payment. It looks like you have a pretty standard deal without any up front payment.

About all you can do is try to negotiate a higher residual, or a lower price. Neither will make much difference in your lease payment, but you might squeeze $10-15 per month off the payment. My philosophy is to have as high a residual as possible since you will never be paying more than market for a buyout.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
150 Posts
I am curious as to the amount paid upfront on the first lease. This one seems to be no money down. How did they calculate your first lease to arrive at a payment of $280 per month? Near as I can tell that is the depreciation per month.
I understand Eric's philosophy here but it's not one that Subaru can share without going bankrupt by baking a loss into every lease agreement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts