Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 Forester XT
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I made a decision to trade the Forester on a 2014 Silverado Crew Cab 4wd 5.3L. It may have been a little rash but I think its right for this particular time in my life. I didn't replace it with another Subaru as I don't like what they've done since 2008 with the Foresters (or the other models for that matter).

Long story but I've been buying parts to upgrade for about 5 years now. I somehow reached 165k without installing any of them and it was time to replace the clutch. I had a week & planned on installing the clutch & a bunch of front end stuff. Pulled the engine & started only to find my Maddad ELH wouldn't fit with my current oil pan & cooler. I somehow missed this requirement & the Maddad web site didn't say anything under the ELH listing. Really wish this info was more clearly stated but not a big deal. Forester sat for a month while I obtained all the parts I needed for ELH.

Started again, had a week & 1/2 this time. Began having issues with the front knuckles, pinch bolts snapped, no worries I actually had two sets I'd purchased to refurbish for when I put on Brembos. Well, as it turns out the two with low miles (44K) I purchased off Ebay (looked almost new) one had bad wheel bearing & the other had a busted pinch bolt. I had also bought a set off a forum member as they came with the rear kuckles. One of those also had a frozen pinch bolt. So basically I could only use 1 of the 6 knuckles I had if I wanted to install my aluminum lower control arms. This sent me over the edge, I looked at the struts which were also going to need to be replaced. With the rust & this experience I decided I need something more reliable as I only have room for 1 car (don't have a garage to work in either). My wife had been pushing me to buy something newer as well. So I put it back together with the new clutch/flywheel and traded it. The irony is this is how I ended up in the Forester in the first place. I had a '95 caprice & started moding after a couple years of owning it. As a result the Caprice became less reliable as a daily driver & so I upgraded to the Forester...

I plan on moving 1/2 way across the country the second 1/2 of this year where I hope to settle permanently. Hopefully will get a place with garage & more room allowing for a 2nd car.

I have more $$'s worth the parts than I want to admit & I think I'll be selling off what I can only because I don't want to move them. However, I do plan on buying another manual '04-'08 Forester XT as a 2nd car for modding once I get settled as I loved the one I had. Hopefully I can find one in New Mexico or Arizona to minimize rust...

Anyway, keep an eye out in the for sale section, I have everything from RPF1's with Pilot Sports to Sti rack to full Maddad exhaust to Brembos & much, much, much, more (most of it new) coming up for sale.

For thos intersted here is a pic of my new ride...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts
Congrats on the new ride! Those are very nice trucks!

Assuming it has since you just bought it, but did they say anything about whether the recall has been taken care of on your new truck?

My biggest complaint about chevy products used to be the interior, but they have improved that far beyond my expectations compared to the 2013 models.

Congrats again... that color is very nice!:bling:

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,717 Posts
Hopefully we'll see you back. I would stay on this board even if I got rid of my Forester.

·
Premium Member
2015 Forester XT
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks...

The recall has not been done but I'm not too worried about it at this point as the issue seems to only occur in really cold temps. I'll take it in within a week or two. There is one issue that gets my goat though which hasn't yet gotten a TSB. The led's around the radio & hvac knobs do not work. I've read this is an issue of missing resistors on the radio's board (one can acutally fix it themselves if they want to open the radio). Apparently there was an issue with the electrical components & in order to avoid shutting down production they decided to produce without the resistors (or so I've read). Everything built from mid december forward works properly though. Mine had a Sept build date, we're all waiting to see if GM will step up & fix it. Truthfully most people probably will not even notice unless they compare their truck to the brochure images. Oddly the GM Sierra version led's work just fine...

The truck drives & operates phenomenally for a truck. I do miss the turbo & handling of my Forester though...

I'll definitely still be lurking around on this forum... Its by far the best automotive forum I've ever seen & I've been through quite a few of them. I think the Turbo foresters appealed to a more mature set of enthusiasts which has made this forum a very cool combination of courteous and knowledgeable users....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts