Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think every time I plan a road trip my car knows how to screw up on me! In September 2009 I had a new thermostat and gasket, new radiator, and A LOT of brake work done on my 2002 Forester. I had to replace the thermostat since my car's temperature gauge was going all the way to hot. I have not had any problems with my car since September. I am very good at getting my oil changed and looked at pretty much every 3 months, if not more. Today I was driving back to my office and was sitting at a red light, when I noticed my temperature gauge was spiking. Luckily I was a mile from my office, and once I started driving it went back down to normal. Any suggestions? I am suppose to be going out of town tonight and next weekend, but i think tonight will not be happening. Any ideas of what it could be? My car is testing my patience and my nerves.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Today I was driving back to my office and was sitting at a red light, when I noticed my temperature gauge was spiking. Luckily I was a mile from my office, and once I started driving it went back down to normal. Any suggestions?
My first thought is to check the operation of the electric cooling fan(s). The ram-effect of air through the radiator of a moving car is usually enough to meet cooling requirements. However, when stopped with the engine running (and the A/C off), one- or both fans should periodically cycle on and off to pull cooling air through the radiator.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,588 Posts
MY 2002 and earlier and High cooling temps frequently translates into leaking head gaskets.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts