Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have a 2001 Subaru Forester 2.5 non turbo of replace the motor the transmission all the suspension it's pretty much like a new car however I'm having problems with the temperature gauge pegging hot when the motor is running at normal temperature I've changed the thermostat I have it I have changed this sender I have changed instrument cluster and it's still doing the same thing any suggestions please I'm very open to anything thank you have a blessed day

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring 4EAT
3,751 Posts
@Mattsxxx69 First post? Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you've done more than most people to solve the problem. You replaced the motor with a rebuilt motor? A pull from another vehicle? More details on this replacement would be useful.

Be aware that N/A Subarus (what you have) tend to leak coolant around the head gasket. The turbo engines have a different head design and rarely leak. Slight seepage is rather common, but actual drops forming along the bottom seam between the head and block means you've got a leaking head gasket. This seam is visible from beneath the vehicle - use a flashlight - when the under-engine cover is removed.

This is significant for the following reason: the cooling system on your vehicle has plenty of capacity - far more than it really needs. So, if the vehicle is really running hot, then the likely explanation is that combustion gasses are leaking into the cooling system. This will cause hot running or an overheated situation in a heartbeat.

Try the following: fill the coolant overflow and mark the level on the side of the bottle. Then watch the level - it should go up when hot, down when cold, but generally return to the same level each time. If it does this, you're good. If not - if the hot and cold fluid levels start going down, then start looking for the leak - or start taking a hard look at your head gasket.

·
Registered
2005 Forester Automatic
495 Posts
When its running and hot, shine a light through the coolant overflow tank. If you are seeing bubbles (ones that are not steaming out the top of the overflow) they are likely exhaust gasses. Welcome to subaru head gaskets...... You can buy a "block tester" as well to prove that the bubbles are exhaust gasses, if there are doubts (if you have bubbles)....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts