Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2004 2.5xt
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my stock suspension is clunking, 2 passenger side pistons are loose and going bad and the bushings on the front are also going bad, passenger side almost being non existent anymore. Thats good for me because i've been meaning to get coilovers and this is my justification for my loved one and enabling me to mentally handle putting down that much on suspension = ).

I have Tein Flex's on my Talon, and wanted to get the Super Flex Wagon's for my Forester, but upon calling a local Portland shop and hearing their experience with Tein (This isn't saying I don't believe and trust what they told me but the Super Flex wagons came out in 2008 and they stopped doing business with them almost 8 years ago) I want to see how everyone else's setup is holding up.

I know there were quite a few people that purchased a set of the GT Wagons like 2-3 years ago or so, and I'm not sure who owns the newer Super Flex Wagons. Either way, how is everyone's setup holding up? These still some of the best coilovers or should I go with the Forester Specific EnduraTech's?

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
Tein has never been some of the best coilovers.

I'd go EnduraTech. It's what I have on my Outback.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
IIRC the Teins are "Forester specific" in height and the Enduratechs are revalved but Impreza specific namely the height. If so it's an apples to oranges comparison.

·
Registered
2004 2.5xt
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IIRC the Teins are "Forester specific" in height and the Enduratechs are revalved but Impreza specific namely the height. If so it's an apples to oranges comparison.
You are correct, they are revalved and have a set of springs that work really well for the forester. The rears can get to stock height, but the fronts are 2" lower at their highest from what I recall.

I wasn't looking for a comparison really, more of, if the Teins that the forum members have aren't working out very well 2-3 years later I'll probably just go with the enduratechs.

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
I've been running a set of Tein GT Wagon Flex coilovers for a while now. They have been great as far as i'm concerned but i'm not suspension connoisseur. Recently, though the EDFC has been acting up. I am hoping it is just the clips that connect the main harness to the motors.

They are easy to adjust the height and I have raised and lowered them every spring and fall.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
The rears can get to stock height, but the fronts are 2" lower at their highest from what I recall
I don't know if that is exactly true, but they are dropped a bit over stock. They are currently working on extended "no-drop" options, but production plans for the Forester are on hold for a while.

As for being the bees knees, they certainly are. I haven't driven a coilover this nice that costs less than $3000.

For the nay-sayers who think they are some small-time Chinese copy... the same company makes a shocking number of OEM and performance springs and components. They even do valve springs for Hendrick Motorsports!

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
If you don't care about maintaining ride height I would spend little more and get a quality set up like Bilsteins or KWs. Actually in a fixed perch strut Konis and Tokico Dspecs are a better choice too.

I'd be wary of a company that markets parts as "Forester specific" when they are anything but. Also know that the Enduratechs aren't rebuildable so spend a little more and have the ability to rebuild/revalve at some point.

Not sure what making valve springs has to do with distributing suspension components? :confused:

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
You could also go for a Ground Control kit over a good quality fixed-perch strut. Some on here have installed Koni inserts into stock Forester strut housing, fit a GC sleeve over that and you have a real Forester-specific coilover with adjustable rebound.

Stan

·
Registered
2006 FAXT 5mt
525 Posts
tein super street C/OVERS tein EDFC . stiff and push button adjustable for under 1600.00,show me somethin cheaper and better quality and i'll buy it.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
If you don't care about maintaining ride height I would spend little more and get a quality set up like Bilsteins or KWs. Actually in a fixed perch strut Konis and Tokico Dspecs are a better choice too.
That's more than a little more... That's more like double...

I'd be wary of a company that markets parts as "Forester specific" when they are anything but. Also know that the Enduratechs aren't rebuildable so spend a little more and have the ability to rebuild/revalve at some point.
Why? They are valved and sprung for a Forester, and intended to be used at a lower ride height. Do they have to be OEM height to be "specific"?

Endura-tech's aren't rebuildable by the consumer. If anything happens, you send them in and they'll fix you right up. IIRC, a replacement for a boogered damper is in the neighborhood of $150. Take "rebuildable" with a grain of salt. Tein's are "rebuildable". But the cost is astronomical. You can have them rebuild one coilover for something like $500, or they'll sell you a replacement for $299. I actually had a friend go through just that with a siezed coilover. "Rebuildable" is marketing, nothing more.

Not sure what making valve springs has to do with distributing suspension components? :confused:
Distributing? You mean manufacturing, right? They make an awful lot more than just valve springs. The parent company is the worlds largest manufacturer of springs.

In fact, they make all of the springs for the car sitting in your driveway.

But you are right. Be wary. Hey, don't you have STi springs on your car? Fancy that...

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
That's more than a little more... That's more like double...
Bilsteins, KWs- $1800-$2200. Enduratechs $1500? $1500x2=$3000. Double? Not where I went to school. LOL. :confused: And still throw them away when it's time to rebuild.

Do they have to be OEM height to be "specific"?
Well since Foresters sit about 3 inches higher than an Impreza my interpretation at least says "Forester specific" means at stock height not Impreza height otherwise what's the difference? One size fits all marketing plain and simple. :shake:

Tein's are "rebuildable". "Rebuildable" is marketing, nothing more.
Sorry never mentioned Tein in my posts. Bilstein have a lifetime warranty and do "free"rebuilds which I'm sure is terminology and math we can both agree on. :icon_idea: Rebuildable is only "marketing" to people who only cruise meets.

Distributing? You mean manufacturing, right? They make an awful lot more than just valve springs. The parent company is the worlds largest manufacturer of springs.

In fact, they make all of the springs for the car sitting in your driveway.

But you are right. Be wary. Hey, don't you have STi springs on your car? Fancy that...
Manufacture springs yes. But who makes the dampers? Or dampeners (sic) as they say on their website.LOL.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
Bilsteins, KWs- $1800-$2200. Enduratechs $1500? $1500x2=$3000. Double? Not where I went to school. LOL. :confused: And still throw them away when it's time to rebuild.
Seems the prices on KW's have dropped significantly. I remember not long ago when they were upwards of $3k for a set of V3's. My bad.

Well since Foresters sit about 3 inches higher than an Impreza my interpretation at least says "Forester specific" means at stock height not Impreza height otherwise what's the difference? One size fits all marketing plain and simple. :shake:
One size fits all marketing? Give me a break. KW has more than 300 applications. Even if you make the incorrect assumption that they offer 3 versions for each car (they don't), that's still 100+ applications. They do nothing more than what you seem to hate. Swapping brackets on the same cartridge for different applications.

I also don't see a Forester "specific" application from either Bilstein or KW. Why recommend them?

Zumble's car doesn't seem too low to me:

Sorry never mentioned Tein in my posts. Bilstein have a lifetime warranty and do "free"rebuilds which I'm sure is terminology and math we can both agree on. :icon_idea: Rebuildable is only "marketing" to people who only cruise meets.
The thread title mentioned Tein. Bilstein does "free" rebuilds? Not according to their website... $125, each. Starting price. Bilstein

KW for SURE doesn't do free rebuilds. The last set I was curious about getting rebuilt (seals and valves) was quoted well over $500.

"Rebuildable" is marketing. Period. What's the difference between rebuilding and replacing? If you had the option to completely rebuild a PSS9, or replace it for the same price... why wouldn't you replace it?

And again, why KW or Bilstein? You seem so against "impreza height" coilovers. At least the Endura-techs are valved and sprung for a Forester. The KW's and Bilsteins are straight Impreza parts.

Manufacture springs yes. But who makes the dampers? Or dampeners (sic) as they say on their website.LOL.
KYB still makes them, I imagine? So? You ignorantly toss them aside, as if they were some Chinese knock-off. What you fail to realize is that this is a company who makes the very springs you entrust your life to every day. They don't make OEM dampers, but they do a hell of a job making their own. The quality is bar-none.

Keep in mind that the company you are trying to throw away, is the company millions of people have trusted their lives and the lives of their families to for decades.

Your plucking hairs here. I took a look at their website. I didn't see "dampeners" anywhere. Stop making things up. Or maybe my eyesight is getting bad.

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
So are Teins good or not? I like the fact that Tein has the EDFC, is something like that offered through the other brands? I have had the GT Wagon Flex's for a few years now and have been very happy with them. I really wish there was a set that I could control the dampening AND height through an EDFC like unit. Tein was supposed to be coming out with something like that for the Forester but I forgot what the model was.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
Are teins good? I don't particularly think so. EDFC is a gimmik, but it's kind of fun to play with. Damping is matched to spring rates, so softening/stiffening the damping is counter productive to some extent. It is something fun to play with though, and you do have a "range" that is acceptable to play in. Cusco has a remote system with some funny acronym I can't recall at the moment.

I think they ride "OK" but I think there are better offerings for the money. Their green is a pretty nice color though.

The only remote height adjustable system I know of is by KW. Not a really good idea though. If you raise the car, you change the alignment...

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
KW has more than 300 applications. Even if you make the incorrect assumption that they offer 3 versions for each car (they don't), that's still 100+ applications.
I have no idea what you're talking about? :confused: Specific means for that model. Simple. :shrug:

They do nothing more than what you seem to hate. Swapping brackets on the same cartridge for different applications.
Again, I have no idea what you're talking about? :confused: You can't swap brackets when there isn't any to swap.

I also don't see a Forester "specific" application from either Bilstein or KW. Why recommend them?
You need to reread the O.P.'s post. He doesn't care if they're Impreza height. I was just posting the truth that the Enduratechs aren't "Forester specific" which you can't seem to admit.

Zumble's car doesn't seem too low to me:
Again, It's not too low if you know you're buying "Impreza specific" coilovers. :icon_rolleyes:

Bilstein does "free" rebuilds? Not according to their website... $125, each. Starting price.
Maybe they changed their policy? Mine have come with a lifetime warranty so I've never paid for a rebuild yet?

"Rebuildable" is marketing. Period. What's the difference between rebuilding and replacing? If you had the option to completely rebuild a PSS9, or replace it for the same price... why wouldn't you replace it?
Again it's only marketing to kiddies that cruise meets and drag race. If you visit a track with turns and talk to people that drive their Subies the way they're designed to be driven you'll see that rebuilds aren't marketing.LOL When you buy a quality product there's no need to throw them away. You fix them.

And again, why KW or Bilstein? You seem so against "impreza height" coilovers. At least the Endura-techs are valved and sprung for a Forester. The KW's and Bilsteins are straight Impreza parts.
Again I'm only against deceptive marketing.

KYB still makes them, I imagine? So? You ignorantly toss them aside, as if they were some Chinese knock-off. What you fail to realize is that this is a company who makes the very springs you entrust your life to every day. They don't make OEM dampers, but they do a hell of a job making their own. The quality is bar-none.

Keep in mind that the company you are trying to throw away, is the company millions of people have trusted their lives and the lives of their families to for decades.

Your plucking hairs here. I took a look at their website. I didn't see "dampeners" anywhere. Stop making things up. Or maybe my eyesight is getting bad.
WTH? Not sure what this has to do with admitting they aren't "Forester specific"? You're trying to put words into my mouth.

I'm done. You can close the thread like you always do. LOL.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
box is right, the enduratechs are impreza based but w/ different valving... personally id choose the kw/bilsteins over the enduratechs anyday of the week...

infact when i go down this route (soon) ill be choosing probably the RCE T zeros which are custom specd kw's.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
RCE's coilovers are what I'd be looking at as well.

Stan

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
Again, I have no idea what you're talking about? :confused: You can't swap brackets when there isn't any to swap.
How else do they mount to the car? No matter how high the pedestal you put them on, they are still using the same damper for each application and changing valving and spring rates accordingly. They simply choose the bracket and weld them on.

You need to reread the O.P.'s post. He doesn't care if they're Impreza height. I was just posting the truth that the Enduratechs aren't "Forester specific" which you can't seem to admit.
I have no problem admitting that they aren't OEM height for the Forester. But they ARE valved and sprung for the Forester. That makes them more "Forester Specific" than KWs or Bilsteins.

Again, It's not too low if you know you're buying "Impreza specific" coilovers. :icon_rolleyes:
No one ever said the Endura-Tech's are OEM height. They aren't supposed to be.

Maybe they changed their policy? Mine have come with a lifetime warranty so I've never paid for a rebuild yet?
Maybe they did. Sounds like you got lucky. But they aren't free to rebuild anymore, so don't give false hope. That's a pretty hefty expense to just toss aside though.

Again it's only marketing to kiddies that cruise meets and drag race. If you visit a track with turns and talk to people that drive their Subies the way they're designed to be driven you'll see that rebuilds aren't marketing.LOL When you buy a quality product there's no need to throw them away. You fix them.
If you visit a track, you'll find all manner of people. With Endura-tech's track versions of their coilovers (the mono-tubes), you DO have the option to have Endura-tech rebuild the damper if you really feel the need to rebuild rather than replace.

For the majority of people on the road, you'll never need to rebuild. Most people with coilovers don't go to the track. That's a simple fact.

Touting rebuildability is absolutely nothing more than marketing. Period. If the OP were building a race car, sure consider something like the KW Clubsport, or the PSS9, or something like that. But, to be honest, there is no performance advantage to dumping extra money into a product that won't be used to it's full extent. Save money, get something appropriate for your driving style, and enjoy.

And what's wrong with drag racing again?

Again I'm only against deceptive marketing.
Everyone is. But your warped sense of "deceptive" is funny. Would you quit your pity party if the lower brackets were 2" longer? That would put the fronts at FSTI height.

I don't agree that you can toss aside a company

WTH? Not sure what this has to do with admitting they aren't "Forester specific"? You're trying to put words into my mouth.
I'm trying to put words in your mouth? You blatantly lied about what you saw on their website in an effort to deface them.

I stand behind what I said. They have Forester Specific valving and spring rates, and it's a high quality product. They aren't claiming they'll be at OEM height, so there is no deception going on. You are spitting in the face of a company who went out of its way to design valving and spec spring rates to a platform no one else will even consider looking at.

By your definition, Tein is the only company anyone looking for Coilovers should go to. They, afterall, are the only ones who have a "forester specific" coilover, according to you.

At maximum height, these are not much lower than Swift springs.

I'm done. You can close the thread like you always do. LOL.
You better be careful with your accusations there son.

I'm done with this thread too. You make a bunch of false claims about a company you know nothing about. You quote information that is utterly incorrect. You MAKE STUFF UP to try and get your point across. You even question the quality of the company, making it sound like they are built in a sweat shop in China. Again, this is a company who has made more advances in spring technology than any other company in the world.

You also fail to acknowledge that the "Forester specific" coilovers were put together as a favor to the community by a former employee of Endura-Tech. No one ever claimed they didn't drop ride height, you made that up too.

For the money, there is absolutely no comparison in quality, durability, or ride comfort. If you are building a track car, I probably wouldn't recommend them. If you'll spend more weekends on r-compounds than not, I probably wouldn't recommend them. If you are looking for a coilover that's unparalleled for a daily driver that you might take auto-xing a few times a season, then these are just right for you.

I'd really think on it before committing to spend 50% more on something from KW or Bilstein. If your driving demands them, then it might be a justified purchase. But what are you going to gain for an extra $800 besides a name? They aren't any more specific to your application than anything, from anyone, else.

If you want something put together specifically with the Forester in mind, Tein and Endura-Tech are the options you have. For my dollar, I'd go Endura-Tech all the way. You are already using their products, afterall.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts