Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still dithering over a suitable suspension set-up.

If anyone has Forester specific Tein S.Techs on stock struts, I would really like to know what you think about this setup. (Snowman has already been kind enough to give me his views which were very positive).

If you have S.Techs on KYB GR2s I am interested in this combination also. (If I cannot find a pair of US non self-levelling rear struts, I may have to fit a full set of 4 non-levelling GR2s).

Thanks guys

Ian :)

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
From what I've read, S.Techs will probably be tricky to get, and more expensive compared to wrx wagon takeoffs that will give you just about the same drop and ride.

Just my thoughts.

Bland...

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bland,

The S.Techs are available here through the UK Tein distributor so no problem there. Also, the wagon rear springs are softer than the standard XT rears &, from what I read here, can cause problems if you load up the boot (trunk). Mind you, the reports of rear end sag were in relation to the full WRX sedan strut & wagon spring package. Perhaps with stock XT struts you can get a way with it?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
When it comes to height, and sag, it's the springs themselves that does it all. All the strut is there for is to dampen.

Seeing your in the Uk and have no problem getting them, I'de say go for it if that's what you want.

Bland...

·
Premium Member
97 s/tb
983 Posts
I have them on mine
I love em but.... I will say that they are pretty stiff and the fact that the front sits higher than the rear does bug me every so often.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Palatine,

Are you on stock struts with the S.Techs?

The figures I have for the S. Tech springs are approx. 168lbs front & 201lbs rear against the stock 118 lbs front & 157lbs rear. I had thought that these spring rates would give a reasonably comfortable ride; how stiff would you rate them in use? Too stiff for a long trip without becoming a pain? (I do a few 800 mile trips each year)

Also, what drop did you get front & back?

Questions, questions, so many questions!

Cheers Ian :)

·
Premium Member
97 s/tb
983 Posts
Drop was about 2.5 inches at the rear 2 at the front
They aren't too stiff but just watch out for pot holes and very uneven surfaces as the travel is very reduced, and yeah stock struts.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Palantine,

Thanks for the info - any idea why you got 2.5 " at the rear? The Tein specs claim an even '-55mm' drop at both ends. Excuse my ignorance, did your car start off as a basic XT before the mods? (Looks cool BTW)

Ian

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
It's an 'old shape' SF model , not SG like yours , and a S/tb Japanese Import .

Rgds
Steve

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Palatine® said:
Drop was about 2.5 inches at the rear 2 at the front
They aren't too stiff but just watch out for pot holes and very uneven surfaces as the travel is very reduced, and yeah stock struts.
Are you guys hitting the bumpstops? The rates on those don't seem high enough to support that much of a drop. But then again I don't think the stock struts could handle too high of a rate.

·
Registered
05MY Second SG6 4EAT > JDM 5MT
5,684 Posts
either way, i'd either get flamed on for not searching or bringing this up from the dead, but any update on those springs? pictures?

there's a guy selling a new set of Tein S-Techs meant for an 04MY WRX for $200, shipped. anybody know how they compare to Prodrive blue (WRX) springs? i'm wondering if i'd get an even drop like Slynki, or at least have a lower front. i'm on WRX Wagon suspension right now and i just hate the "rear sag." is the Prodrive blues an even 25mm drop all around? that number doesn't sound right seeing how dramatically lower the front of Slynki is. the S-Techs this guy is selling gives a 2" drop in the front and a 1.3" drop in the rear.

thanks,

_taF

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
took this info' off RallySportDirect.com:

Sedan Spring Rates: Front: 218 lbs/in Rear: 157 lbs/in
Sedan Spring Ride Hight: Front: -2" Rear: -0.7"
Wagon Spring Rates: Front: 218 lbs/in Rear: 157 lbs/in
Wagon Spring Ride Hight: Front: -1.7" Rear: -0.8"
either sedan or wagon, i should definitely have a lower front especially with the sedan springs, right? the guy is selling a sedan set. i like how the sedan rear springs give a lesser drop than the wagon ones and how the sedan fronts give a greater drop than the wagon ones. these springs on my WRX Wagon struts should definitely give me the drop i want on my SF, right?

sorry, i'm rushing.

_taF

edit: dang. on the same site, it shows the Prodrive blues being their #1 best seller above the S-Techs and having good reviews. sigh...

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Lots of people complain about how cheap the stechs are for the wrx, and also the drop is a little to low to be benificial on the wrx. They are more for the look. I imagine sticking them on your forester would drop it way to much. Personally I wouldn't even try.

Also for the 04 springs your going to need some 04 rear tophats.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
^
yeah, i've decided to just stick to Prodrive blues. as for the tophats, i'm basically on 04 WRX Wagon takeoffs. i had to find out the hard way when i purchased the springs separately. and wondered why the rear springs were shaped different (much like the rear springs in my parents' 05MY).

_taF

1 - 14 of 14 Posts