Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

'yelnats J' has used WRX fronts & Htech rears on stock struts & really likes the setup. Although I am not so keen on short springs on stock struts, the Htech rears drop just an inch and the WRX fronts about 1.5". This seem reasonable to me & avoids the nose up stance with Htechs all round.

On checking the spring rates, (please correct me if the figures are wrong):

Stock front is 118 - Stock rear is 157

The WRX fronts are 163 lbs/in - The Tein rears are about 184lbs/in

Not as stiff as Forester pinks at the front but stiffer at the back & following the stock Forester practice of a stiffer spring at the back than the front. The Forester pinks seem to be more in line with WRX practice, i.e. Stiffer springs on the front, less stiff on the rear. Is this an issue?

I may also use Forester XT specific KYB GR2s all round as they will cost about the same as importing 2 new non self-levelling US stock Forester rear struts.

Any thoughts much appreciated :)

Anyway, here's the wanted ad:

"Does anyone have a pair of Tein H.Techs for the rear of an 04/05 XT Forester (SG).

Low mileage preferred.

I will cover all shipping costs to the UK so just name your price for the springs!

(I plan to replicate the spring setup that 'yelnats J' has on his car, page 3 in 'Suspension setup' thread . Tein H.Techs on the back & WRX wagon springs on the front. Problem is, the Teins are only sold in a sets of 4 here in the UK so I would be buying a pair of fronts to no purpose)"

Cheers,
Ian :drive:

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Can't answer to much but just give a couple opinions I have because this is the route I plan to do also.

The wrx fronts are the same for the wagon and the sedan, so they should be really easy to find.

Also the GR2's are only offered for 02/03 model wrx, so you will need the 02/03 raer tophats to go with them. The fronts are the same.

Bland...

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Bland,

Thanks for the reply - just to clarify - the KYB GR2s will be Forester XT specific ones - not WRX - as I do not want to drop the car more than 1.5 inches or so.

Ian :)

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I see. Just make sure the warenty won't be void because of the drop of the spring.

Would going with wrx struts make it drop even more? I always thought it was the springs that made the drop.

Bland...

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
bland said:
I see. Just make sure the warenty won't be void because of the drop of the spring.

Would going with wrx struts make it drop even more? I always thought it was the springs that made the drop.

Bland...
Bland, there are Forester specific GR2s and that is what Forestier is referring to. I do not recommend using the WRX struts on Forester springs. Yes springs drop the car but why use a shorter strut for longer springs?

G

·
I'm running the opposite...I have stock version 7 sti springs in the rear..and h-techs up front..all riding on sti version 7 struts....

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tre36,

Maybe the question that bland asked was:

'If it's the spring that sets the height how come:

A WRX front spring on a Forester strut drops a Forester 1.5 inches

but

The same spring on a WRX strut will drop a Forester 2.5"?'

(Drop figures came from an old post of SuperRu's in 2003)

Mmmm, and the answer is? :think:

Ian

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,128 Posts
Forestier said:
Tre36,

Maybe the question that bland asked was:

'If it's the spring that sets the height how come:

A WRX front spring on a Forester strut drops a Forester 1.5 inches

but

The same spring on a WRX strut will drop a Forester 2.5"?'

(Drop figures came from an old post of SuperRu's in 2003)

Mmmm, and the answer is? :think:

Ian
The WRX strut body is shorter than the Forester's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts