Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

101 - 120 of 266 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,161 Posts
^^^ Great info in the above post. The HandiWagon will receive a 4eat to 6mt conversion at some point - just need to save up for the parts and install. Luckily, one of the PNW's best Subie mechanics lives down the street from me and has done several 4eat to 6mt/5mt swaps in various vehicles.

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,325 Posts
Congrats. Monday the 7th is my start day for my swap. I can not wait.

What did you do when you pulled the front crossmember spacers to get it to bolt up to the front subframe?

joe r

·
Premium Member
2004 FSTI automatic
2,659 Posts
Great news & progress!!! Looking forward to finished pics.

looks like I know who to contact in so-cal when it comes to 4eat projects..:icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
06 FXT-6MT happening
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Great news & progress!!! Looking forward to finished pics.

looks like I know who to contact in so-cal when it comes to 4eat projects..:icon_biggrin:
Haha!
You can contact me any time sir, I would be more than willing to help out however I can.
It appears that this is a straight forward swap, just like any 5mt to 6mt swap really, except with a few more parts required.

Thanks to all for the compliments so far, I do appreciate it.

So, here are a couple of teaser pics.

First few pics are the bracket/mounts I made for the Grimmspeed BCS, Innovate LC-1 wide band, and the Painless Wiring CirkitBoss.

I needed a better mounting option this time around so I just fabricated the brackets. I will probably get the aluminum plate anodized black at some point but this is a prototype and seems to work just fine.

I will end up trimming it down a bit and running the final one on the CNC to get symmetrical radii on all corners, and I will actually mill the plate with the standoffs out of 1" piece of aluminum stock.
I may also try to incorporate the mount for the LC1 into the same bracket.
The way it is now, the LC1 bracket is made from 2 pieces of steel I welded and bent into shape.

At least you get the picture and can see what I am up to.

And here is a teaser pic of what the rear end looks like with all the redness.

·
Registered
2012 Toyota Prius CVT
185 Posts
Very cool build. I am going to do the same thing to my car, but first I need the time, parts, money, know how, patience . . . I think I am going to live vicariously through your build, if that's ok with you.

·
Registered
06 FXT-6MT happening
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
OK so did some fabrication today over at my buddies shop.
I forgot to bring my camera so some of these pics are crappy cell phone pics....sorry about that.

Anyway, I could not bring myself to spend $300.00 on a splitter that does not actually fit my intercooler.
I decided that as a temporary measure, I would make mine fit better.

After taking some measurements I removed the stock splitter and we started cutting.

Here is the rear most portion of the "down spout" (for lack of a better term) removed.:

Kind of hard to see good detail but you get the picture.

The next few pics show the aluminum plate that we bent into a "Z" shape.
The bends were kind of critical because once the Z plate was inserted into the slot (which was left after drilling out the spot welds and removing the old rear portion), it needed to finish off the rear most portion of the splitter, but not allow the total opening to be more than 7" across (front to back) which is how big my TurboXS intercooler is.:

Once we had the front to back opening fab'd up and cleko'd into place, we cut and bent the side pieces, used cleko's to hold it all together, then test fit it to the car to see how well it fit. You may notice the holes we drilled in the Z plate which made it possible to install the screws since the Z plate covers the rear screw holes.

Then we started riveting the pieces together.

Then we used some door molding from a brand new Nissan that was being crushed (long story but my buddy does some work with Nissan and has a lot of neat "left overs".

It fits perfect, took me and my bro Mario about 2 hours and once it is painted it will look like it is supposed to be there.

Mario has every kind of fabrication tool you can imagine, benders, breaks, shears, notchers, radius tools etc.

I am going to order up a new OEM splitter and we are going to do a fully custom version with rounded corners and more of an angle at the rear of the splitter to better direct air to the rear of the splitter.

This was a temporary fix, and more of an exercise to see if something could be done with the stock splitter, and I think we made that happen.

At the very least, I get 100% air flow over my entire IC now which is a good thing right?

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,791 Posts
Door molding, what a great idea. I was looking for a solution for mine as I have a custom shroud to fit the 08 STI TMIC. Will give that a whirl.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Not to be a vulture, but let me know if you're interested in sending your original modified splitter to a good home. I have a TurboXS top mount and I don't like that there's not a good option out there that's cost effective.

Thanks,
S

·
Registered
06 FXT-6MT happening
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #117 (Edited)
Door molding, what a great idea. I was looking for a solution for mine as I have a custom shroud to fit the 08 STI TMIC. Will give that a whirl.
Yeah the door molding is perfect because it has a "slot" in it that fits perfectly over the thickness of the splitter.
It is almost like it was meant to be.

I guess it is probably called door edge or weather sealing?

Hyperion said:
Not to be a vulture, but let me know if you're interested in sending your original modified splitter to a good home. I have a TurboXS top mount and I don't like that there's not a good option out there that's cost effective.
No problem,
Once I get the other one made up, I will hook you up...
By the way, my top mount is TurboXS !

101 - 120 of 266 Posts