Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i've been toying with an idea of an upgrade for a wee while now and was wondering if i were to upgrade my standard turbo (99 S turbo) to the TD04 would i need a remap? as i know this is a pain with the 99 , also i'm assuming its a straight forward swap? or not?

All your inputs and advice will be much appreciated .

Cheers
Andy

Roll on the snow :cool:

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
It's a straight forward swap but you will need a remap. EcuTek is the only option on remaps for your model year (other than a stand alone ECU).

Depending on your budget, I might just be tempted to remap yours or do Simon's (aka The Rookie) Getho Boost Mod.

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Gigsy ...so you think the ghetto mod will save me the remap , if so awesome :Banane35:

oh yeh if i had a budget id have an FSTI not the frumpy 99 sturbo :p

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Yes, the Ghetto mod doesn't require a remap. PM me your email address and I'll forward on the instructions if I can find them... if not you may need to PM Simon.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S Turbo Manual
151 Posts
oh yeh if i had a budget id have an FSTI not the frumpy 99 sturbo :p
Nothing frumpy about a 99 S Turbo mate, best looking Foz out there:icon_cool:.

I went down the TD04 and remap route, it' a straight swap, and I tied in nipping down to Andy foresters in Port Seton(just the other side of Edinburgh) with visiting a few friends 'down south' in the Edinburgh area!!

Although it is a bit expensive for the remap, once done, it transforms the SF. I thoroughly recommend it!!

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sweeeeet and cheers lads as im defo gona do it , i have found the ghetto mod info and im on it today , and ledj I know its not frumpy but the FSTI is pretty sexy ....think i grew up with Andy F so maybe ill get m8's r8s not :)

Andy

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
You'll need a remap or my ghetto boost mod to increase boost, but if you fit a TD04 you'll need a remap for other reasons such as ignition advance which will be wrong for your new physical configuration.

My TF035 car (later 01 onwards larger compressor) was good for 400Nm and 230bhp so don't rule it out!

·
Registered
1999 forester turbo/s 5 speed
273 Posts
I had mine remapped by jgm/surrey rolling road and it is worth it now running 235.1 bhp and jgm reckons 270 bhp when I put the td04 on it and it does transform the car

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
I had mine remapped by jgm/surrey rolling road and it is worth it now running 235.1 bhp and jgm reckons 270 bhp when I put the td04 on it and it does transform the car
260 maybe... 270 is a bit ambitious on a Foz.

Are the extra 25 horses worth it for the cost of the turbo swap and subsequent remap?

·
Registered
273 Posts
already got td04 plus Hayward and scott up pipe so will have it done but in no rush put to much money into car not to have it done.did think about different cams but been told engine has to come out.

·
Registered
2000 Forester S Turbo Manual
932 Posts
Thats still pretty decent on standard turbo. Whats the rest of the spec?

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Thats still pretty decent on standard turbo. Whats the rest of the spec?
Should be able to get 230 out of the stock intake / exhaust.

·
Registered
273 Posts
hayward and scott sports cat/center pipe/back box apexi induction kit 3 port solenoid hyperflow top mount intercooler / zero sports splitter/ zero sports hard pipe .Was loosing a bit of power when I had this done as I do not have a seal between the splitter and intercooler jgm said I will have to seal it up when I have it mapped with the td04 on it.He was surprised when he mapped it and put it up on face book that day

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Am I just thick or does removing the cats fail an MOT ?

Also which blower should i go for TD04, TD04L, TD04H or TD04LH ?

Nearly won a TD04 on fleabay for £22 but my snipe let me down :(

·
Registered
273 Posts
the sports cat I have on it is only 2bhp less than a decat system and is still ok for a mot reading on Hayward & scotts web site

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You'll need a remap or my ghetto boost mod to increase boost, but if you fit a TD04 you'll need a remap for other reasons such as ignition advance which will be wrong for your new physical configuration.

My TF035 car (later 01 onwards larger compressor) was good for 400Nm and 230bhp so don't rule it out!
Hi Si ,so which upgrades do you suggest instead of the TD04 as its too close to crimbo for a remap atm ,also its expensive .

BTW Im new to Turbos as ive said in another post ,but not new to engine mods, i.e. Kent cams ,gas flo's and skims on VW's

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the sports cat I have on it is only 2bhp less than a decat system and is still ok for a mot reading on Hayward & scotts web site
Cheers tigger i'll have a butch.

Andy

·
Registered
273 Posts
hi im in the same boat as you new to these cars.the only thing out of all the mods I put on it that made a difference was the hyperflow intercooler as it is twice the height of normal intercooler the throttle was more responsive.and when I had it mapped its first run was still 168 bhp.i met nich b from this site and one thing he said to do is get a green panel filter take the resonator box out of the inner wing take the air feed from the headlight to the inner wing out cover the hole then the car will draw cool air from the inner wing.one thing I might try is tilting the intercooler there have been a few write ups on this on this site and you only need 2 longer bolts a bit of tubing or some washers

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hi im in the same boat as you new to these cars.the only thing out of all the mods I put on it that made a difference was the hyperflow intercooler as it is twice the height of normal intercooler the throttle was more responsive.and when I had it mapped its first run was still 168 bhp.i met nich b from this site and one thing he said to do is get a green panel filter take the resonator box out of the inner wing take the air feed from the headlight to the inner wing out cover the hole then the car will draw cool air from the inner wing.one thing I might try is tilting the intercooler there have been a few write ups on this on this site and you only need 2 longer bolts a bit of tubing or some washers

OOOOh sounds interesting and i'm always game for a wee fiddle ....Green panel filter ordered from fleabay a few days ago :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts