Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive finally gotten all my suspension and brake work i need done for a time so i have been looking into my power upgrade options.

on the the cobb website i was checking out the maps and i think for now im going go for a stage tune on my td04.

my question is... they say a turbo back exhaust is required.
does that mean three inch pipes all the way down?

i currently have a stock downpipe and sti catback

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Sport
403 Posts
It just means a turboback exh. You can even get away with just doing a downpipe, although you will get more power from a full turboback.

BTW, that is for a stage 2. You can do a stage 1 with the downpipe.

·
Registered
05 Forester XT
541 Posts
BTW, that is for a stage 2. You can do a stage 1 with the downpipe.
I think you meant to type "You can do a stage 1 without changing the downpipe"

COBB's stage 1 is just an ECU remap. No change to the intake or exhaust. That's what I run and it makes the car a lot more driveable than stock.

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
Different tuners/shops will "Stage" differently. It's highly variable - even more so when you start branching into other platforms.

It's a very convenient way of referring to things *within a community*, but even then, it's still somewhat inaccurate and prone to errors of interpretation: look at the difference between Cobb's "Staging" and what used to be PDXTuning and Vishnu's definitions from years ago. And on that note, also note that as time has passed, revisions have been made to "Staging," too. It's a flexible, somewhat arbitrary set of terminology, so be-careful!

Most in the Subaru community speak of "Staging" in terms of Cobb's rules, and luckily, since that's what we're discussing, specifically, here, we can all do so via the same base. :smile:

Currently, as their "by-Hoyle" "Map Notes" say, "Staged" modifications require a fully stock intake tract. Historically as well as via individual end-hobbyist interaction with individual members of the Cobb staff, we've seen aftermarket panel-filters (which has been datalogged by various members of the LegacyGT.com community to affect A/F by up to half-a-point) as well as the removal of the airbox resonator/silencer being "OK'ed."

Currently, again "by-Hoyle," a fully cat-less, full turbo-back exhaust is mandatory, but again, historically, we've seen some variation to this, too:

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f95/accessport-stage-2-update-74433/

:smile:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts