Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1997 forester stb manual
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys , i'm sure i've seen this post on here somewhere but can't find it , think the rookie mentioned them...are there different variants of the td04 turbo and if so what are they ? sure i read there is an HL or something along those lines .....? is one bigger or better than the other as might get a newer one ...i have the standard stb 97 import td04 that came with the car at the mo :biggrin: ...the one i'm looking at buying is a td04 'L' .....

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
There are 2 versions of TD04L fitted to subarus, the ones fitted to 2.5's have a larger diameter wastegate port (although the same sized disc), your's will already have a TD04L with the smaller apeture, your's being a 2.0 doesn't need the larger which is there I would imagine to prevent boost creep on the larger capacity engine.

If you are more specific about what you want to achieve, then perhaps I can help you put together a home grown hybrid spec!

Simon

·
Registered
1997 forester stb manual
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers for the info Simon .....I was told , and this maybe wrong , that the import td04 has different bearings to the uk tdo4 ...would this be correct do you think ??

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,576 Posts
All TD04 variants have the same 7.50mm bore sleeve bearings although it is now possible to get an aftermarket "improved performance" thrust bearing.

·
Registered
1997 forester stb manual
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the guy who is selling the turbo replied to me with this .......The numbers stamped on the turbo are regarding the model no for that year ,the turbos still all have the same A/R ratios. I think you are getting mixed up with the jdm market turbos were all roller bearing turbos ,and had ihi stamped on them.Subaru fitted ihi turbos to most sti models and fitted the td 04/05 to theuk/wrx models. What model year is your car?

What do you guys think ??

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,576 Posts
the guy who is selling the turbo replied to me with this .......The numbers stamped on the turbo are regarding the model no for that year ,the turbos still all have the same A/R ratios. I think you are getting mixed up with the jdm market turbos were all roller bearing turbos ,and had ihi stamped on them.Subaru fitted ihi turbos to most sti models and fitted the td 04/05 to theuk/wrx models. What model year is your car?

What do you guys think ??
What you've quoted above is a sort of FUDGE, however it's more accurate than your previous quote "the import td04 has different bearings to the uk tdo4"

As a LOOSE guide...........

Subaru fitted the Mitsubishi manufactured series of turbo's (TF035;TD04;TD05) to thier "main stream" models. These all have plain sleeve bearing cores

For the more "exotic" versions (STi's and some Legacy's) it fitted the IHI manufactured "VF" series.
Some of the newer VF series come with ball bearing cores.

To broaden your Turbo knowledge base look through the NASIOC threads below.....................

Subaru Turbo List - NASIOC
Turbo FAQ: Read if you are thinking of upgrading! - NASIOC

The Melett's parts catalogue attached has some useful application data in it although it's not comprehensive.

Some confusion can arise as "TD04H" is sometimes used on here to mean an Andy Forrest TD04 HYBRID which he calls an AFP04H. This is a standard TD04L fitted with a larger compressor wheel, a machined to match compressor housing and a larger wastegate aperture.

The various TD04L's fitted to Subaru's are basically the same with minor model variations.

The big question is..................

What are you actually after? A straight replacement or a more "exotic" turbo?

Don

Attachments

·
Registered
1997 forester stb manual
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thats great info thanks Don ....was just looking to get a straight swap for mine which is an 97 stb and i'm guessing has the td04 with the 'L' stamped on it . The one I've been offered is pretty much brand new you see :biggrin:

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,576 Posts
If its come off a later model Impreza WRX then it should be fine to fit.
Below is the "nameplate" from one of my old TD04L's.

The top number is the Subaru part no. Last three digits will vary with age.
The middle number is the MHI part number. Last 5 digits will vary as to manufacturing batch.
Bottom row is Type and individual serial number

Attachments

·
Registered
1997 forester stb manual
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well got my new td04L through yesterday and its pretty much as new , done less than 1k ! As i'm changing the up pipe next week this seemed like a good idea to get a nice fresh turbo whilst at it :biggrin: .....can't get a map done on mine though as it is the unmapable 97 stb import .....unless i spend about 1k.....mmmmm:shake:

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,389 Posts

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,389 Posts
19 Mike :icon_eek:

that sounds a LOT! I'd love to see that car of yours out on the moors one day...!
when it was over at buxton subaru centre this week its been given the once over and after changing the radiator, new back brakes and gearbox and diff fluids the only other thing they spotted was even remotely wrong was one of the rocker cover gaskets is weeping slightly!

I've been running 19psi now for well over a year and a half and nothing has gone boom and if it does then :shrug: new engine time and my car lasts me even longer :biggrin:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts