Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2004 WRX PPP Wagon Manual
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the intercooler off today as I was checking new hoses after remap at the weekend:woohoo: and noticed some oil in the turbo to intercooler 90 elbow and also a thin film in the intercooler opening that goes to the throttle body:icon_frown:
Not really noticed any smoke from the exhaust, only a little on start up in the morning.
Any takers for a diagnosis?

John.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,926 Posts
Oil fumes from the engine entering the air inlet pipe in front of the turbo.
Its part of the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system.

Its normal to get some oil laying in the bottom of the intercooler.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Was there any pooling oil or was it mostly just a film? On the later models theres a hose between the intake manifold and PCV valve which tore on mine and was causing a pretty decent amount of oil to go through the intake tract.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both for that bit of reasurance, I will keep my eye on it and check the hose between the intake manifold and PCV valve.

John.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Thanks both for that bit of reasurance, I will keep my eye on it and check the hose between the intake manifold and PCV valve.

John.
Oh i was just mentioning it on mine as torn hoses could cause issues. On yours the PCV should be screwed directly into the IM. If its just a light coating though thats completely normal. I like to take mine off once a year and clean it out.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Things have deteriorated a bit.
Did an oil change on Wed, have noticed increased blue smoke on start up. Left it parked for 2 hours yesterday, when I started the engine it smoked on idle and for between 10-20 secs while pulling away, I use 5-40 synth.
The blue smoke seems to have started after the weekend when I got it mapped, could the higher boost and mild thrashing uncovered a problem that was there for a while?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Don, have ordered one from Slip End for the morning, will have a go on Sat and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks, John.

G

·
Any updates on this? I have the same problem and will be replacing my turbo at the weekend to see if it's the problem.
Andy

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got a new PCV valve as per the thread a while back but never put it on as the smoke went the day I bought it, may have overfilled it slightly when doing teh oil change.......but I have noticed it again on start up the last few days. I will change the valve and see if it makes a difference.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester Cross Sport AUTO
4,696 Posts
Morning Don,

We changed the PCV & it seemed to improve however, 2 weeks later started seeing oil burning.

Turned out it was the Turbo Seals, I'd done well over 100,000 miles on the VF41, got it rebuilt by AET Turbos, superb job they did too along with a new actuater.:biggrin:

Regards

AM

·
Registered
2004 Forester
46 Posts
My '04 FXT started smelling of burning oil and using about half litre oil every 600 km. I changed the PCV, even though it seemed fine. Changed the oil at the same time. The oil consumption returned to normal so I didn't know if it was a bad PCV or the oil.

For the previous oil change, only, I used a 15W50 racing oil because I had it left over from another application. I decided not to use the oil again, just in case. I broke down some time after and started using the racing oil for topup only. Guess what? I started smelling burning oil again! I've not used that oil again and haven't had any issues. I was told that some racing oils are designed for high consumption to better lube the rings and upper cylinders or maybe it was a bad batch?

What type of 5W40 oil do you use? I generally use 5W40 Mobil Turbo Diesel Truck or Amsoil European.

My engine also has a film of oil in the intake system downstream from the turbo. The film is thickest near the turbo with the odd drops collecting. I think this is normal.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I use Comma SynerG 5-40. I saw 5 litres of synth 5-40 in Wilkinsons the other day for £20, anyone used it or know who makes it?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts