Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. New to the forum and looking for some info / advice from the legends here.

I own a 99 forester Gt.
Great little car.

I am from Perth and am looking at upgrading the stock turbo to a td04.

My main question is, regardless of paying extra for labour. Is putting an exhaust on at the same time a necessity ? Could it be done in two stages.

2nd is I found a second hand td04 and guy guy wants $80.
I’m no guru but have done abit of research about why to look for when buying second hand, or shaft play etc and cracks and making sure the fins are not badly damaged.

Is that price too cheap - too good to be a good buy? Or is that just generally in the ball park for that turbo.
The guy just upgraded to a bigger turbo and had it in the garage.

Thanks in advance!

Pic of my foz too

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 Forester S Turbo Manual
927 Posts
@Benniv It could be done in two stages, as the TD04 will mate up to the standard or whatever exhaust you have now.
However, you should really have a remap with a turbo change.

Not sure on the price, I'm not sure what 80 AUD is, but it does sound cheap. But that turbo is plentiful in most places where an Impreza Turbo is sold, so lots of people upgrade those.

·
Registered
2003 JDM XT 5 SPD
75 Posts
If your not looking for 350+ hp, the TD04 is a great upgrade. If I'm not mistaken, the forester comes stock with a TF35. If your engine is in good condition, you can run 1.1 bar on it easily! I went from a TF35 to a TD04 and was happy... Only I had to use an aftermarket (I used a manual) boost controller, as the even after remapping I would overboost and hit cutoff... Which if you aren't ready for, scare the crap out of you! Also 3 inch downpipe with exhaust, STI uppipe, STI injectors, STI intercooler, remap the ECU you will be in a very satisfying 300 hp level!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts