Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 2.5 XT 5 Speed Manual
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am currently rebuilding my turbo. According to ARD Tuning their 11 blade turbine wheel delivers a better top-end with a marginal loss in spool time (300 RPM):

11 Blade TD04L Turbine Wheel

Their product looks very similar to that of the TD04L-4-12T2-VG used on VW Crafter 2.5 diesels and Ford Transit 2.4 Diesels:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Genuine-VW-Turbocharger-2-5-TDI-Crafter-Td04l4f-49377-07420-076145701c/1661465143

More affordable versions are also available:

https://turbospareparts.eu/en-detail-902493863-turbine-wheel.html

So I bought the components at a local supplier whose website lists the turbine wheel and shaft for R 600 ($ 43 at the current exchange rate).

Below are pictures of my old turbine and compressor wheels next to the new ones. The new parts are on the left in all pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
07 FXT
828 Posts
My opinion ... why bother.

The TD04 is a tiny turbo, upgrading it won't change that fact. If you do swap in the modified turbo you WILL want/need a tune, so at that point you might as well have upgraded the turbo to a VF or similar, and get some real gains. Even the VF is small for a 2.5L, don't get caught up worrying about spool with these little turbos, it is such a non-issue. Maybe if you drive off-road and need low end grunt, and only then maybe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Purely for curiosity's sake :smile2:

I am rebuilding the turbo in any case to eliminate any possible oil leaks while I am rebuilding my engine and tuning the car afterwards. So to add a little experiment at low cost while I am at it does not seem too bad.

My turbo has a flanged connection to the intercooler, so I am limited as to second-hand replacements/upgrades and VF52's are not widely available second hand in South-Africa...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good day!

I finally completed the project. See dyno graphs below for torque and power distribution over the rev range :)

Power.jpg
Torque.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts