2008 Forester 2.5X Sports Manual
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #41

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Finally found some infos on installing those hella lights, still not confident on how to do the wiring, but, I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually. It's kind of a "maybe" mod at this point, as I can always sell the lights and wiring kit.

I think my next priority mods are going to be:

• Rewiring the front 12v power socket, so I can get a 2 amp power source in for the tablet in the dash, and put in some extra usb ports somewhere or something...2003- 2008 - Front 12V Power Socket Rewire
  • Active speaker setup (mostly existing parts)
  • Subwoofer install, possible relocation of sub amp.
  • Winter tires / summer tires, second set of rims
edit:
Well, that led me to perusing the FB marketplace...

SO...

to add to that list:

• Legacy 06 momo steering wheel with radio controls
  • 06 fxt catback with 70k miles on it
  • second set of forester sport wheels for winter tires
  • possibly some heated seats...
exciting!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
3 months and 3000+ miles, and the scoob is in the shop :-( some awful rumbling from the rear end only after taking big hills, and if I shift to neutral or push the clutch in the sound stops. Sounds like something in the rear diff trying to grenade itself, so I'm proactively looking on the used market for R160s :cry: Took it to Roo's Only in Denver. They're having a look at it today...

No use worrying more about it until they give me a call, so here's what's going on in the world of tcsubie MODs!

• Instead of rewiring the front 12v power socket, I just ran a usb cable past the shifter under the center console and into the lighter socket 2 port usb I have plugged in there. I rarely go in my center console, and it's hidden! I have a second lighter socket usb plug I can put in the dash lighter socket if I need to for extra ports, if that makes sense.
  • Still no progress on audio mods otherwise. Been focusing on mechanical issues...
  • Bought the winter wheels and tires! I found the sport alloy rims used for $50ea, and put some Cooper True North 215/60r16 on them. These things really grip well, loving it.
  • I found a used legacy 06 momo steering wheel with radio controls for $25, but the leather was worn. I stripped the leather and plan on rewrapping it, but have a feeling of "what did I get myself into!?" in the pit of my stomach. So I might just go pull one from the junkyard nearby, I think I saw one there in good condition, although I'll end up paying for it...
  • I bought a used 06 FXT catback and had it welded onto my exhaust! THE BAFFLE WHISTLE HAS FINALLY BEEN KILLED, ONCE AND FOR ALL 📢
I still want heated seats, and now I want heated side mirrors too. Damn.

Alright, now the less pleasant, but verrry nice.

My radiator didn't hold pressure and puked ~12psi on a pressure test (i swear I only went to 15psi!). It split on the bottom of the mold - talk about bad luck.
So I did the only logical thing and bought a koyo rad. It's shiny. And I forgot about the turbo hose nipple. So my car sat for awhile...while I waited for McMaster Carr to send me some silicon 3/8in ID, 1-1/2in L caps. Problem is, the nipple is actually 5/16. So this turned into a very expensive plug. Anyway, the new radiator is in the car and holding pressure with some subie blue coolant and conditioner (TSB said 08+ so I went for it). I also bought a replacement thermostat from rockauto, but it was tiny compared to the one in there and I'm pretty sure my shop back in MI replaced it when they did my timing belt at 120k mi, so I just replaced the gasket on the one that was in there and shoved it back in after getting my 80% drain from in there.

Oh, and I finally stopped the battery drain issues on my tablet, the cable was bending because it was pushed against the shroud for the top din mount. I did some sanding.
So she's still alive but currently at the auto vet, and hopefully I will be problem free after they diagnose whatever the ef is wrong with the rear end. I'm just hoping it's not one of those "we'll need to source a used rear diff, so uh give us like 2 weeks" situations.

I took pics during some of these installs so I can try to post writeups for this stuff when I get my car back. This forum has felt a lot more dead for <MY10 owners recently, so hoping people are still on here that would find it useful.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Time for another update. I had some noises from the rear diff that happened after driving at highway speeds or going up hills, probably the passenger side bearing inside the diff. So I bought a used one for $100 from subierecycler and R&R'd my rear diff. Very quiet now, so that's good. I also removed all of the heatshields on the manifold, hopefully that doesn't cause any serious issues down the road. Only had a dremel, so that kinda sucked. Had a few studs come out of the headers so I'm going to replace them and seal them in with some high heat rated gasket sealer (red permetex I think).

Had some really loud squeal noise going down i70 from the last tunnel before getting to Denver, freaked me out. Came from somewhere in the front, and I immediately shifted out of gear and braked, so not sure what the source is. Oh well, hasn't happened again. Also getting some brake/clutch burning smell in 4th, when going up looong 6% grades. May have heard some pinging too, gonna have to get some readings done on the engine I think.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts