Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Love the stereo mate. I have essentially the same, but made by Pumpkin.

Anyone else thinking about this kind of Android based stereo should read through this thread about pure android head units, there are many happy customers out there of many brands (they seem to be made by Pumpkin, Joying and Eonon, to name a few.

I got the added goodies like reverse cam and dash cam/dvr for my install (so cheap!) and everything is still working great!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Love the stereo mate. I have essentially the same, but made by Pumpkin.

Anyone else thinking about this kind of Android based stereo should read through this thread about pure android head units, there are many happy customers out there of many brands (they seem to be made by Pumpkin, Joying and Eonon, to name a few.

I got the added goodies like reverse cam and dash cam/dvr for my install (so cheap!) and everything is still working great!
Thanks! I saw yours just the other day and the pumpkin unit looks almost identical. Thanks for the link, I've been looking all over for that thread - I need to do the wifi antenna mod :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I just installed the 2154 and have been trimming like crazy to get the pod to fit. Was curious if you had pics of your pod top to compare?
@NoD~ The last photo I posted is the best angle I have of it right now, but I will try to take some more tomorrow. It took quite a bit of cutting and sanding - if you look close enough, there is some rub marks from where we dremelled and sanded... I should probably add some paint to the bottom part of the pod, but I'm going to wait til it's warmer

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
@NoD~ Close up you can see some imperfections, but they are not noticeable at all from normal sitting positions so it isn't a concern.

You can see the black plasti-dipped knobs that were reflective silver, the coat didn't turn out perfect but for my first time plasti-dipping anything I am satisfied with it.

You can also see the scuff marks on the lower part of the pod (right side) from trimming. I'll be cleaning those up when I take the dash apart again to plug in the radio wire!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Darn, seems I have a bit more trimming to do then...

Mine still seems to have a bit of gap to in VS yours. I think it's in the top lip. Getting there, though. Thanks of the detailed pics.

·
Registered
22 Posts
@tcsubie24 What did you user a base for the clock / airbag light as a single din? Looking at getting a head unit and relocating to the top but don't want to lose the clock / airbag light.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
@tcsubie24 What did you user a base for the clock / airbag light as a single din? Looking at getting a head unit and relocating to the top but don't want to lose the clock / airbag light.
The dash pod has brackets for installing a 2-DIN HU (with some slight trimming). This leaves the 2-DIN stock bracket for the stock stereo available to mount stuff to; it's what I used. Take a look at this post for pics: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f115/tcsubie-s-08-n-sports-635978/#post6487377

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Quick update:

Install of the KNS rotors and HPS pads went smoothly in the Fall, although the scraping sound I've been hearing didn't go away :icon_cry: (there was lots of pad left and no significant marking of the rotors I replaced) ...the noise must be coming from the rear drums, so I'm replacing the pads back there this Spring! I think next time I replace the front pads, I'll paint the calipers black.

I picked up some Hella Rallye 4000 compacts and wiring kit this winter, and I'm looking to install them behind the grill and wire them into the stock dash plug, taking a note out of Canonshooter's FXT journal. A friend of mine said he can help with the fabrication of the bar behind the grill, but if @Canonshooter happens to have any specifications from his install it would be a big help to see them - I'm not very experienced with fabricating this kinda stuff - and making sure it won't rattle apart! :icon_redface:

I also have a rear dust deflector to install...and I finally added my tcsubie front license plate :bananapowerslide:

My trunk has been torn apart all winter, as I started working on my stealth sub install and then it got too cold (no heated garage.). So I'm very much looking forward to finishing that project! I'm taking a totally different approach than sea-scooby (but I did plenty of review).
Instead of using cardboard to create templates, I decided to make a techy project out of it by creating a 3d model of the space, then using a 3d printer to spit out templates :bling:

I'll be posting some more in May when I have time for finishing these projects!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
May was supposed to be project time, but here we are in the middle of August and I’m just getting back to my MODs. And there’s still so much to do!

Just finished a successful learning experience of installing the rear dust deflector, which involved drilling holes in my trunk door and using all kinds of sealers and fasteners . I wish I took some photos of the installation process, but all I have are finished install pics and a very strong recommendation: USE PLUSNUTS NOT RIVNUTS. I will tell you right now that the search for plusnuts (and extra $) was well worth the extra grabbing strength - and peace of mind!

Actually, seeing as my search ended with me buying 100 of them...if you come across this thread and have a need for plusnuts please message me

I used a threaded insert tool from Harbor Freight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Great job on the dash pod and everything else! I'm pretty jealous yours is the sports edition and in mt! What brand are the window visors? It pairs great with the rear dust deflector. Keep up the awesome work!
Thanks! It’s been a lot of fun learning how to do these mods, and I couldn’t do half of them without the insights and shared experiences of the rest of the forum here. The window visors are C&C CarWorx and they do not come cheap - but they do fit perfectly in both shape and style and have held up great for the 1yr+ I’ve owned them. Here’s a link to their page for more information: https://www.mycarworx.com/store/responsive_site/Forester_03-08_TapeWinVentVisor.html

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Back in MI for a month or two, and got some car work to do..

Just ordered drums and shoes for the rear, planning on painting them black before install. Also had to get some new RSB links and bushings so that'll be a fun project. Read up enough on it to be fairly confident going into it - I'm more anxious about the drums, which I think are original...and I just hit 150k... :oops:

Man, these new smileys suck.

Oh! Also, I swapped out my android head units in favor of a Pioneer 80PRS + Bluetooth to my old nexus 7 2012 tablet. It's been a bit of a struggle with keeping it charged - the cable is a bit finniky - but it's working almost perfectly running some pretty solid android mods. I'll have to share some photos at some point. Next step is to rewire the tweeters independent of the mids and without the lpf, disconnect the rear door speakers so that I can run mids and tweeters to my 4 channel amp under my seat, and get me an active setup going. Of course, I still have to install my subwoofer at some point. I drilled into one of my CNC'd wood pieces with too big of a screw and split it! Ugh! Gotta make a new one, but it'll get done...eventually..

Those big hella lights are here too... not sure if I'm gonna pursue that project or not, but I do have some hella horns I should install!

Parts start coming in next week 👀

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
About this Discussion
40 Replies
7 Participants
tcsubie24
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing