Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I spent awhile looking for this beauty...she's my first Subie and officially my first car, purchased new to me last year in MA. I had a few requirements that made me fly out to MA for this one :rolleyes:: Red, Stickshift, 08, 10th Anniversary Sports package. With just over 115k on the speedo, and all maintenance taken care of, I drove her home to MI and now am planning out my MODs :icon_razz:

I'm planning on owning her for quite awhile, so I'll be starting with audio and comfort, and maybe work my way into performance :icon_cool:.

Roadmap -

Comfort/Interior/Audio:
- Swap out front speakers. Add sound deadening in front doors. Add amp for speakers.
- Speaker amp: Alpine PDX-F4.
- Front Speakers: Focal Access Series 6.5" with 1/2" spacers, Focal ISS Tweeters and in-line crossovers
- Head Unit: Eonon G2150F
- Won't be upgrading the rear speakers for awhile/ever.
- RAAMmat or similar for sound deadening, possibly Ensolite
- Stealth install 10" subwoofer in the rear cargo area/stock location.
Custom sea-scooby style install
- Amp: Kenwood KAC-5001PS
- Subwoofer: Orion XTR3 10" SVC

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Surprise! Something for me in the mail! :bananapartyhat:

Forgot to mention the mirror with built-in compass and homelink that I ordered from Cam's Mirrors on Ebay. The package says 3 Day shipping on it, but it got here in just a weekend! Instructions and labelled wires, this should go smoothly. Link: Gentex 536 Homelink Mirror with Autodim Hidden Green Compass Pigtail Wire Cover | eBay

This has been sorely missed since driving my Dad's 2003 Jeep Liberty, so I'm looking forward to adding it!

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
A few more in the part box:

- Kenwood Class D 1000W amp

- Orion XTR3 10" SVC

:woohoo:

Forgot I had these! They will be for my stealth mounted sub in the hatch, where the stock 6x9 is. The XTR3 has low excursion (7.75mm) and a mounting depth of 4.75in. I don't like to listen to music with the bass too loud, so this sub fits the bill with great SQ at lower volumes. This was actually the first subwoofer I bought; purchased from a friend back in high school for $40 before I knew anything about subs (still don't really :icon_wink:). I'm curious if I can get the .75cu-ft sealed enclosure figured out with MDF and foam spray...but that comes later.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Mini update - received my Husky rear passenger liner in the mail today. Great fit, might use a heat gun to make it perfect but it's fine right out of the box.

Also, found a deal at my local car audio shop on a Focal ISS 165 component set with upgraded Access Series 6.5" woofers and 1/2" spacers. Hoping the spacers will be enough, but I can exchange them if needed.

The PDX-F4 should be here next week, can't wait!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
It always cracks me up that people will be driving down the road in their 100k car, but holding up their cell phone on speaker mode. It's like they couldn't spring for the extra 100 bucks or whatever to get a head unit installed that allows them to do hands free.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ok ok!

I still need to take a couple shots of everything installed! Ah well, here's what I've got so far:

Audio / Dash Mods, Part 1 -

So my uncle lives a few hours away from me and has restored and customized cars and car audio since he was a kid. We had been in touch when I was purchasing speakers and he offered to help me get everything installed once I was ready! On one of the last warm Fridays of October, I headed down south to his garage with all my parts in tow for a modding weekend. We planned to install everything I brought, and had some time to check fittings and get a general game plan together when I arrived that evening. Saturday was a big day for the scoob!

Audio/Dash Mods 10/29 – Part List:
- Eonon G2150F Head Unit
- Subaru Genuine Parts Dash Pod (H0010SA950ML)
- Subaru OEM single DIN storage
- Stinger Roadkill Sound Deadening - Front Doors
- Focal AS165 6.5" woofers and Focal tweeters – Front Doors
- Alpine PDX-F4 – fronts and rears
- Kenwood KAC-5001PS - subwoofer
- Orion XTR3 10" SVC sealed enclosure (for now)
- Gentex 536 Homelink Mirror w/ Autodim and Green Compass

The doors and dash came apart to start with. If you haven't worked on a door before - the door has a few screws that need to be removed, and some definite prying is required to get a few of the grommets to pop so that the trim piece can be removed.

The dash cubby wasn't difficult to remove, but having the dash bezel removed made it very easy. A push from below using a few fingers up behind the dash helped the cubby pop right out.

A quick test fit of the G2150F confirmed our suspicions - there was gonna have to be some trimmin' :icon_eek:

- A little finessing with a dremel and a lot of sanding later, we replaced the stock dash storage compartment with the Eonon G2150F cozied up in the dash pod. (finished pics soon)

Finishing up the dash took some work. Because the stock panel with airbag lighting and clock wouldn’t fit with the double din head unit, we decided to place it where the stock radio had been, along with a single din storage cubby. As you can see it took quite a bit of chopping (and epoxy) to get the stock panel to fit in the double din brackets, but nothing important was chopped.

Next up was the door speakers. I had purchased 1/2in spacers which turned out to be too small. We ended up using the spacers and running screws into them backwards, then putting some putty on the screws. This allowed us to adjust the height of the spacer with a simple screw turn, and the putty kept the screws from transmitting any vibration. We then put the sound deadening on each door and formed it around the spacers to create a seal. The speakers went in and just barely fit with the windows down. My uncle actually cut a bit of the bolt that sticks out from the window fastenings so that there would be a good 1/4in of clearance. We also took the opportunity to grease the window mechanisms so they moved fluidly.

The tweeters we were able to epoxy right into the Subaru tweeter kit brackets.

We ran the wires for the amp thru the firewall at an empty grommet, you can kind of see it in the photo. The wires were then run through the center console and down to the drivers seat floor. I stuck some shop rags in the heater holes to stop any heat coming out and warming up the amp – so far so good.

The subwoofer amp power and wires were run along the drivers side, and into the rear cargo bay underneath the flooring. This allows the amp to be mounted stealthily and a Scooby-mods style sub enclosure may be in the works for a full stealth install, but for now the sub is in a sealed enclosure in the back. I still have to figure out a good solution to stop it from sliding when turning “aggressively”. I’ll take a photo to add to show where it sits currently.

I didn’t bring an adapter for the mirror with me, so I ended up installing it after I returned from our modding weekend. I ordered an adapter off ebay and it was a quick install – although the plastic pieces for hiding the wires are extremely brittle and break easily – careful! Photos of the mirror installed coming soon. The auto-dim is a really nice feature, makes you feel like you’re in a luxury sports car! An unexpected benefit of the mirror install with the adapter is that it sits much higher on the window, almost touching the cabin light trim – which gives you a noticeable increase in vision thru the window from left to right. This does make it more difficult to adjust it to the right angle, but once set it rarely changes. Also a positive note – this mirror doesn’t sag when the music is turned up :icon_biggrin:

I needed a little time to test, tweak, and of course break things after the install. So of course Part 2 will have more pics and a mini review of the head unit!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just installed the 2154 and have been trimming like crazy to get the pod to fit. Was curious if you had pics of your pod top to compare?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
About this Discussion
40 Replies
7 Participants
tcsubie24
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing