Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6AT
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After picking up my car from the dealership a few weeks ago for a follow-up repair (dealer put in new short block for oil consumption problem, then brought back later due to oil leaks... dealer found both head gaskets leaking and replaced) I noticed a slight but very persistent "tick" or "tap" coming from the engine at warm idle. I could have sworn the noise wasn't there before but the tech and advisor both assured me it's normal. I trust the advisor as I have worked with him in the past, but this issue is bugging me.

Keep in mind, the issue popped up after they removed both heads to replace the head gaskets.

I found a video on Youtube that best describes the noise I'm hearing.

Upon doing some google research, I found that there are a lot of people, across the board, who have this "ticky" motor sound after replacing head gaskets. I'm wondering if I have a valve that's not pumping up or air in the oil system. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2018 Forester Manual
418 Posts
Did you take off the cam followers (or "lifters) or lash adjusters at all? It sounds like it could be a lose or noisy cam follower or a hydraulic lash adjuster that's a bit off.

It seems to slow to be piston related -- either piston slap or a bad bearing. Sounds the right frequency to be a valvetrain related item.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5 XPremium 4EAT
863 Posts
I was about to say it sounds just like an out of whack timing belt tensioner and the sound was coming from exactly the right place for that - then I realised you have the FB engine with timing chain.

It does sound like a top end noise I.E. cam area, valve adjusters etc.

It does not sound normal. If that were my car,. I would have it back to them and insist they diagnose it better. Time to get out the stethoscope.

The same people who are telling you this is 'normal' are the same mechanics who screw up your short block install - correct? If so, I'd get a second opinion.

Reactions: Natedog

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you take off the cam followers (or "lifters) or lash adjusters at all? It sounds like it could be a lose or noisy cam follower or a hydraulic lash adjuster that's a bit off.

It seems to slow to be piston related -- either piston slap or a bad bearing. Sounds the right frequency to be a valvetrain related item.
Thank you, that's helpful information. My first thought was valve train too, but the dealer said they didn't even touch the valves when taking the heads off. I've never disassembled a motor before though so I don't know if that's accurate, but in theory you should be able to take off the heads without messing with the valves, no? They were working perfectly before the gaskets were replaced.

My last ditch option would be to have them inspect the valves, but that will be a PITA proposition since I would likely need to get Subaru corporate involved if I want it fixed under warranty.

What about cam/crank timing? Would that cause the noise, or would the ECU pick up on a timing error and throw a code?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was about to say it sounds just like an out of whack timing belt tensioner and the sound was coming from exactly the right place for that - then I realised you have the FB engine with timing chain.

It does sound like a top end noise I.E. cam area, valve adjusters etc.

It does not sound normal. If that were my car,. I would have it back to them and insist they diagnose it better. Time to get out the stethoscope.

The same people who are telling you this is 'normal' are the same mechanics who screw up your short block install - correct? If so, I'd get a second opinion.
I pick up the car this Friday from the dealer (forgot to mention that in my original post, I had to take it back AGAIN a week ago for a couple other small oil leaks coming from the timing chain cover, lol). I'm going to take the car around the block a few times and see if it still makes the noise, and if it does, probably talk to the service manager.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5 XPremium 4EAT
863 Posts
Ryan,

Bear in mind this is warranty work and that you're not bound to take your car to that dealer. It seems to me they've already ballsed up a lot of work on your car. I'd take it elsewhere, somewhere with a good reputation, and get a second opinion.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ryan,

Bear in mind this is warranty work and that you're not bound to take your car to that dealer. It seems to me they've already ballsed up a lot of work on your car. I'd take it elsewhere, somewhere with a good reputation, and get a second opinion.
Ugghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I think you're right...

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i CVT
176 Posts
I am familiar with the video you mention but it is important to note that there are both the video for Forester 2.5i tapping both from before, and another for after repair, and that both videos sound similar, there is only a matter of degree. Before is a little louder, a combined knocking/tapping, then after it is still heard tapping. On mine I get the soft knocking usually only when moving so have concluded it could be the engine vibrating against its mounts-as long as I hear no knocking when still at hot idle (which yes, could also be piston slap,) I have decided to not worry.
Listen to the before repair video, then immediately after the after-repair video and you will see what I mean. A difference, yes, but not much.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts