Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 forester turbo s
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have a 99 turbo s auto with a sf205 engine code wondering if anyone can tell me how to adjust the tappet clearences thanks

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
I could send you the PDF detailing it if you pm me an email Addy, but its not a DIY job as you need special tools and a selection of different thickness shims, which as you'll have to buy a large selection (not knowing what you need, there are about 30 thicknesses and you'll need each times 16, so 480 shims!) will cost a fortune, more than getting someone to do it for you who dose it regularily and can afford to carry stock.

Why do you think they need doing, they usually last the life of the engine, if the clearances are wrong something is probably worn and a component needs replacing!

Simon

·
Registered
99 forester turbo s
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
in the morning or after the car has been sitting for a while have a ticking noise until it heats up sounds like its coming from this drivers side but not 100% sure worried its gonna break only got it back a few weeks ago after some kind sole redesigned the drivers rear door and quater panel:icon_mad: cant afford anymore major payouts just now:icon_cry:

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
Excessive valve clearances should give a ticking noise all the time, not just cold.....

You can remove the cam cover and measure the clearances (still quite a big job) and see if one is out of tolerance.

The EJ engines are prone to piston slap cold, could it be that?

Simon

·
Registered
99 forester turbo s
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there is a good chance you could be right is there any cure other than major engine work? surely it shudnt be worn out at 75000 miles? think it need to find a dark room and lie down can hear the till ring already:icon_sad::icon_sad::icon_sad::icon_sad::icon_sad:

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
I would try a 0w30 oil first, the lower cold viscosity pretty much cured my ticking. I think you could be making a mountain out of a mole hill.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts