Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Scooby Poddle
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get myself into an XT. Yes I would. It has everything I want. No one has an XT around here so I sat in a dealer's 2.5i Premium I think and a base 2.5. I'm 6 foot 6 inch and my right knee didn't do so well in that small amount of space between the console and the base of the steering wheel. Even with the wheel raised up to its highest level it seemed like my knee still ran into that steering column thing. What's up with that column thing anyway? Why does it jut out to the right so far? XT tall drivers, tell me that once I get into an actual XT my knees will be fine!

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
800 Posts
Wait, if your legs are long - which is why they hit the center column, your arms should be long too, no?
Also, aren't you supposed to kinda straddle the column? Your knees should be hitting the dash if anything with the center column down the middle facing your 'misters'.

Have you not been able to move the seat back further so your knees straighten out a bit?

This is my opinion only and I might hit a nerve with some folks out there, but if you have your heart set on the XT and love the driving characteristics, I don't think you will like the 2.5 a whole lot.
Its still a good car, but a far cry from the XT.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,774 Posts
There is not going to be a difference in legroom and steering column placement between 2.5i models and XT models.

If you don't fit in a 2.5i, you are not going to fit in an XT.

I am 6'4" and fit fine in my 2014 XT... don't even have the seat all the way back.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
I'm 6'-7 with a 36" inseam. I find our '12 Forester to be "big enough". I have the 10-way driver's seat all the way back, I found that it helps to raise the seat up from the lowest position, and to adjust the seat tilt. There's plenty of headroom for me, even with sunroof -- a very rare environment indeed. 600- to 700 mile jaunts are no problem, although I do tweak the seat tilt and/or height adjustments every couple of hours.

The 2.5i base model's seat may not be a good test, as the six-way driver's seat just isn't quite as flexible, IMHO.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring
3,006 Posts
Ha ha ha…

I'm the shrimp in this thread…..6'4" and on the way down after reaching 6'5" a long time ago.

I'm sorta looking forward to shrinking with age…opens up lots of cars for me that I never had a chance of fitting.

Whoo Hoo.

Steve

·
Registered
2010 Scooby Poddle
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ha! Great thread ;). Thanks folks. Yeah hopefully once I can test drive an XT I'll find a good position. I think I'm just going to ask them to let me sit in it for like an hour.

Again, the biggest issue for me is that steering column, man that thing kind of juts out and down right? There's a large block it seems that hangs down. I'm a right footed driver. There's also a strange curve just to the right of the accelerater it seems like... but if that's all there is I think I can live with it. Everything else about this car screams at me to get it.

On a totally unrelated note: is there any reason why you wouldn't purchase the red? That's all anyone around here is going to have for some time...

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
The 2014's steering column is manually adjustable for tilt and telescope (all trim levels); see 2014 OM page 3-107. Any luck with finding a more comfortable position?

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

1 - 13 of 13 Posts