Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forester AT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day.

I recently bought a 2011 Forester, 2.0 l petrol non-turbo from Japan.
I live in Namibia in the bush, Subaru is not present in Namibia and there is no Subaru workshop.

The tailgate suddenly won't close(or better: catch) anymore.
My car has no button for the tailgate on the remote and there is no button on the dash for this.
There is only the one button above the license plate.

To close the gate (to make it catch and stay closed) I now have to move the triangular lever on the lock, see image.
If I try to close the gate without moving the lever manually beforehand, the lock will not engage and the gate will just stay slightly open.

Opening the gate with the button above the number plate works fine!

I have opened the lock and cleaned/greased it, I have also checked the wires going into the roof and I cannot find anything. I have disconnected the battery, pressed the button for a long time, nothing helps.
I assume this to be an electronic problem?

I also enclose an image of the lock itself, I noticed that a piece of the black plastic cover inside seems to be missing.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 Forester X 4EAT
148 Posts
@chrisgoltz Welcome to the forum !

I must confess, I didn't know where Namibia was, until I looked it up. Wow, the landscapes are amazing :surprise: I'd love to visit there one day.

Sand, lots of sand.......getting into nooks and crannies. I'm guessing that's what happened to your latch. This would be a mechanical problem, not electronic.

You mentioned you've cleaned and greased the lock, what did you greased with ? Penetrating fluid would be the best thing to use, since it gets into places where regular grease would not. I highly recommend KleenFlo Honey Goo , this stuff is fantastic. Spray it liberally into the lock latch (pic 1 and 2) I would also tape over the opening where the missing plastic should go, you don't want any dirt getting in there.

Kleen-Flo | Products - Honey Goo

If you can't get your hands on Honey Goo, use whatever penetrating fluid is available locally. Unless your lock is permanently broken, this should do the trick.

***Use Honey Goo with CAUTION*** :grin2:

·
Registered
2011 Forester AT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi!

Many thanks for your reply and welcome to Namibia! :)

Yes, we have lots of dust and sand but that doesn't seem to be the problem here - when pressing the open button above the license plate, the lock opens. So the actuator must be working. Only closing doesn't work: Even when I bang the gate shut it just pops open again, no actuator or whatever action!

Best,

Christian

·
Registered
2012 Forester X 4EAT
148 Posts

I was hoping the easy/cheap solution would work...but no worries, there's always plan "B" :grin2:....Contact Yokohama Motors Home Page to get a new/used lock latch. I've imported a JDM Subaru Sambar to Canada a few years ago, and got parts from them. I was happy with the prices and service, they speak English and ship worldwide ! Hope this helps. :smile2:

·
Registered
2011 Forester AT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great plan B! Will try them! Thanks.

Thanks 👍

I was hoping the easy/cheap solution would work...but no worries, there's always plan "B" :grin2:....Contact Yokohama Motors Home Page to get a new/used lock latch. I've imported a JDM Subaru Sambar to Canada a few years ago, and got parts from them. I was happy with the prices and service, they speak English and ship worldwide ! Hope this helps. :smile2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts