Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Scion xB
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tailgate on my 2014 Forester is giving me fits. I will shut the tailgate like I would any other vehicle and when I go to lock the doors it beeps at me saying trunk is not shut. Same goes with starting the car it says it is not shut. I will have to literally slam it shut to get it to register as closed with the car. A firm shut doesn't do the trick for this car.

Has anyone else had this problem too?

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts
Does it feel like it is not shut all the way?

I wonder if your sensor is bad which detects if the gate is closed or not.

I have the power gate, and it never has problems shutting. Even when I manually close it, there is not a problem.

Perhaps your electronic latch which locks it is going bad?

·
Registered
2010 Scion xB
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will take it in and have it checked. It feels shut and when I go to open it, it feels not like it is latched tightly, but looks shut. Will take it to the dealer next week and see what shakes out. Thanks for the heads up on the sensor!

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,053 Posts
this was an issue when the SH first came out- move the striker out a smidge and make sure it's central in the latch's aperture.

·
Registered
2017 2.5 Premium & Base CVT
267 Posts
I wouldn't bother taking it in, but will be curious to hear what you find out if you do.

Same happens to me and my last 3 cars were hatches (not counting all the SUVs and minivans in my family).

The sensor is most likely fine. The hatch is still locked but not shut all the way.

Next time it happens, try to move the hatch open to close without touching the center button that actually opens it.

You will notice that you will not be able to open the hatch but that there will be some movement/ play so the sensor is warning you.

I got used to it and always just put that little bit of extra force when closing the hatch.

Note: hatch = tailgate.

·
Registered
2009 Foz XT Limited Auto
369 Posts
My SH seems to need a bit more force during winter or when there's snow/ice on top of the tailgate (between spoiler and roofline) and on the bottom of the tailgate (where theres the Subaru aluminium protective plate on the bumper).

When cold, the struts also seems to have a harder time moving.

Not sure what kind of weather you have where you live.

·
Registered
2015 XT-P
629 Posts
I wouldn't bother taking it in, but will be curious to hear what you find out if you do.

Same happens to me and my last 3 cars were hatches (not counting all the SUVs and minivans in my family).

The sensor is most likely fine. The hitch is still locked but not shut all the way.

Next time it happens, try to move the hitch open to close without touching the center button that actually opens it.

You will notice that you will not be able to open the hatch but that there will be some movement/ play so the sensor is warning you.

I got used to it and always just put that little bit of extra force when closing the hatch.
You lost me. I'm Corn fused

·
Registered
2017 2.5 Premium & Base CVT
267 Posts
I cannot believe I wrote hitch instead of hatch (in a few places by mistake). Writing about my "hitch" install lately and not proof reading and I end up causing confusion. My bad, will edit the post some.

The sensor is most likely fine. The hitch is still locked but not shut all the way.

Next time it happens, try to move the hitch open to close without touching the center button that actually opens it.

You lost me. I'm Corn fused

1 - 9 of 9 Posts