Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
04 XT
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tactrix 1.3 and ECUFlash no connect?!

Buddy has a tactrix 1.3 and we tried and couldnt get it to work. I have an 04 fxt and we need some pics or something to verify what plug we should be grounding and to figure out why we cannot connect!

Ive searched around but cant seem to get the answers for the forester. Any help appreciated as this thing seems it could have significant gains just from a tune in stock form.

Connection Error:
[20:25:47.744] Using interface OpenPort 1.3 Mitsubishi EVOSCAN15d54f6d500000000000000000000000000000000
[20:25:47.744] interface close
[20:25:47.750] unable to connect to vehicle interface.
[20:25:47.750] interface close

-Ck

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
320 Posts
You connect the two green connectors together.

There's no jumper on the 32bit ecu cars....

·
Registered
04 XT
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, we tried just that and no connection. Well, if anyone has an idea of what I should look for next let me know.

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
You have to use the correct COM, it should default to COM3 but once the wire is connected COM4 should pop up in the pull down menu. Wait, are you talking ecuflash or romraider? For Romraider it is above and you don't connect the green test connectors.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
320 Posts
What exactly are you trying to do?

If you're just trying to connect to romraider to log, you dont need to connect the diagnostic connectors. Probably a com port issue if that's the case.

If you are trying to get into diagnostics mode to flash on a new map with ecu flash, all you have to do is connect the green connectors under the dash. If you are connecting those and it won't go into diagnostics mode, well I don't know what to tell you. I had a customer with this issue and it was never figured out after multiple trips to the dealership and private shops.

·
Registered
04 XT
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It goes into diagnostic mode no prob. We were connecting to pull the map onto ecuflash to look it over and make some basic adjustments. I've had a littleexperience tuning with Cobb's software on a WRX and just expected an easy connection and adjustments.

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
It goes into diagnostic mode no prob. We were connecting to pull the map onto ecuflash to look it over and make some basic adjustments. We've been tuning with Cobb's software on a WRX and just expected an easy connection and adjustments.
I don't want to insult you but have you tried all of your USB ports? Are your ECU definitions up to date?

·
Registered
04 XT
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't want to insult you but have you tried all of your USB ports? Are your ECU definitions up to date?
My laptop is actually about 3 weeks old, so I didnt even think a USB port may be dead. But we did end up using different USB ports. ECu definitions? DO you mean the software for ECUflash? As I had just downloaded it before we attempted to flash.

Thanks,
Colton

·
Registered
04 XT
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I have tried updating the ECU definitions, then tried romraider. Romraider wont save the file location of the definitions for either program. But I noticed this cable hanging down by my feet and hadnt noticed it before. Is this supposed to be like this?

·
Registered
04 XT
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would it make a difference if this 1.3 cable has the Mitsu ground wire on it? Romraider will attempt to connect but says cable error.

Is their an update to the driver for the cable? It worked fine on an Evo I'm told...

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
If you scroll down in this article to "Which version of the Tactrix OpenPort cable do I need?" it says all of the 1.3 cables including the 1.3M are compatible. My concern is it could have been pulled out of the OBDII port with the cord, but who knows. All the things you tried should have got it working, do you know any one with an EVO? Maybe you could try it on their car but I have a feeling it still wouldn't work. I would contact the seller again if at all possible and just feel them out again if it continues to not work.
Is their an update to the driver for the cable? It worked fine on an Evo I'm told...
Almost forgot, when you download Romraider it always comes with the newest drivers. So unless you downloaded it a couple years ago then they should be up to date. It probably wouldn't hurt though.

·
Registered
04 XT
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. When I open up the infor on the cable the driver info says driver 2.2.4.0 of 6/27/07. That seems like it'd be a prob. I figure if I can still read that info the cable must be working, but seems out of date.

My original plan was no mods and just start with a tune. But I've had such bad luck so far the bolt ons are already on...now I really need it to work!

·
Registered
04 XT
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[20:25:47.744] Using interface OpenPort 1.3 Mitsubishi EVOSCAN15d54f6d500000000000000000000000000000000
[20:25:47.744] interface close
[20:25:47.750] unable to connect to vehicle interface.
[20:25:47.750] interface close

I get this error every time. Bottom right of ECU flash recognizes the cable (shown in the bottom right of the screen). Cable worked on an Evo just a week ago. I want to order 2.0, but I really want to know its going to work and not waste almost $200.

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
PM merchgod or find him on nasioc, he doesn't come here as much as he used to. He helped design a lot of the romraider/ecuflash code. He is very helpful and I am sure would know the root of the evoscan********etc. Error you are getting. I am all out of suggestions if you have downloaded the latest version.

·
Registered
07 FXT sport
1,736 Posts
I don't know if your going to get much help from merchgod/teacups these days.

He's working for cobb now, so his time is much more limited then before.

Let's try this...

Can you connect using merchgod's learning view program? (a utility listed on romraider)
Can you log data using romraider??

Is your obd2 port working?? can autozone read/check for codes??

Here's part of the romraider FAQ

I am having problems reading or flashing with EcuFlash. What should I do?

Reading and flashing a Subaru ROM requires using an OpenPort (Tactrix) cable. No other cable will work for reading/flashing with EcuFlash.

Reading and flashing require you to enter ‘test mode’ by connecting the green diagnostic connectors located above the driver’s side foot well (non-CAN models only). Make sure your car is actually entering test mode. With the green diagnostics connectors connected and the OpenPort cable disconnected, you should get a flashing CEL and the radiator fans should cycle on and off (after a period of time) when the ignition is turned on. If not, your car may have an additional connection near the passenger’s side foot well that is disconnected. When reading and flashing begins, the radiator fans will remain off.
Do not turn on your ignition until prompted by EcuFlash to do so and when you do, immediately hit ‘OK’, otherwise reading/flashing may fail (any moderate delay on your part can result in a failure). If you wait until the radiator fans begin to cycle, then you have waited to long. Note: The engine should NEVER be running when reading or flashing.

Your Subaru may not be supported by EcuFlash. EcuFlash currently CANNOT read or flash the following Subarus:
ANY 2001 and prior USDM Subaru, USDM 2002–2003 non-WRX models, USDM 2004 Impreza RS
ANY 2000 and prior ADM/EDM/JDM Subaru, 2001–2002 (and some 2003) ADM/EDM/JDM non-WRX/STi models

Note: You may still be able to data log some of the above vehicles with RomRaider, even though you cannot read or flash the ECU.
When you select ‘read from ecu’ in EcuFlash (or the read icon), a list box will appear from which you must select the correct read method that corresponds to your vehicle. If the incorrect read method is chosen, the download will fail:

EcuFlash version 1.38 and newer:
2004 Subaru DBW models STi/FXT/LGT/Baja - USDM 04 STi/FXT, USDM 03/04 Baja, ADM/EDM/JDM 03/04 Forester/Legacy (including non-DBW models with 32-bit ECU)
2005–2007 Subaru DBW models WRX/STi - USDM 2005–2007 STi, USDM 06–07 WRX, ADM/EDM/JDM 06–07 WRX/STi
2005–2006 Subaru DBW models FXT/OBXT/LGT/Baja - USDM/ADM/EDM/JDM 2005–2006 Forester/Outback/Legacy/Baja, USDM/ADM/EDM/JDM 05–07 Impreza 2.5RS/2.5i, USDM 2006 B9 Tribeca
2007+ Subaru CAN vehicles - USDM/ADM/EDM/JDM 2007+ Forester/Outback/Legacy/Tribeca, USDM/ADM/EDM/JDM 2008+ Impreza 2.5i/WRX/STi (Note: reading/flashing these ECUs is only possible with the OpenPort 2.0 cable. Prior versions of the OpenPort cable will not work).
2002–2003 Subaru USDM Impreza WRX - USDM 2002–2003 WRX
2004–2005 Subaru USDM Impreza WRX - USDM 04–05 WRX ONLY
2001–2005 Subaru non-USDM Impreza WRX/STi - ADM/EDM/JDM 2001–2005 WRX/STi

The Tactrix (OpenPort) drivers may be conflicting with prior driver installs. For Windows, follow these instructions exactly as described, step-by-step:
Make sure the OpenPort cable is NOT connected to your computer
In Add/Remove Programs, uninstall all versions of EcuFlash and all drivers with OpenPort, Tactrix, or FTDI in the name.
In program files, delete the OpenECU folder.
Delete any EcuFlash shortcuts that you have on the desktop or elsewhere.
Reboot.
Download and install the latest version of EcuFlash. For Vista users, right click the EcuFlash installer and select “run as admin”.
Plug the OpenPort cable into a USB port on your computer.
When Windows asks to connect to windows update, select NO, then select “install the software automatically”. This may occur twice before the driver install is finished.

Ecutek, a commercial company, made a change to their flashing software in 2006 which “locks” out the ECU. If your ECU has a recent Ecutek tune, you will not be able to read or flash the ECU with EcuFlash. You must contact your local Ecutek dealer to remove the Ecutek tune and flash it back to stock in order to be able to use EcuFlash.

Cobb, also a commercial company, began locking the ECU with their Accessport version 2 sometime during 2008 which will prevent you from reading or flashing your ECU with EcuFlash. You must unmarry the Accessport from the ECU in order to be able to use EcuFlash.
Make sure the OpenPort cable is securely connected to both your car and the laptop.
Do NOT use USB hubs, extension cables or converters with the OpenPort cable (plug it directly into one of your computer’s USB ports).

Make sure your car’s battery, charging and electrical system is up to snuff. When reading and flashing turn off all auxiliary devices that draw power from the battery - stereo equipment, climate control, interior lights, headlights, radar detectors, power inverters, etc.

For flashing, the following models require a jumper block to be used (described earlier in this FAQ):
USDM 2002–2005 WRX
ADM/EDM/JDM 2001–2005 WRX/STi

Good Luck

dm

·
Registered
04 XT
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OBD2 port is working as we scanned it recently to check a code.

I'm going to try again using this computer, then we'll try another computer. Thanks for all the help though everyone, hopefully its nothing serious and its my own fault.

-Colton

·
Registered
04 XT
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well. I went through as described. Uninstalled any ecuflash files, as well as all romraider downloads. I then installed ECUflash and plugged the cable in and finished installation. When I connect to the car it does the same thing as before..

I had one warning that said "their are known issues with xp usb port etc..." But I have windows 7.

Just to go over this clearly. When I go to connect to my car, ECUflash on and tactrix plugged into the computer. Ive tried no key in the ignition and attempted to connect, key on accessory, and key on ignition. Then tried those with the green test mode connectors connected. still no luck.

I will go ahead still and try a computer with Vista on it, but I have my doubts.

·
Registered
04 XT
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well. I went through as described. Uninstalled any ecuflash files, as well as all romraider downloads. I then installed ECUflash and plugged the cable in and finished installation. When I connect to the car it does the same thing as before..

I had one warning that said "their are known issues with xp usb port etc..." But I have windows 7.

Just to go over this clearly. When I go to connect to my car, ECUflash on and tactrix plugged into the computer. Ive tried no key in the ignition and attempted to connect, key on accessory, and key on ignition. Then tried those with the green test mode connectors connected. still no luck.

I will go ahead still and try a computer with Vista on it, but I have my doubts.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts