Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2009 forester
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All:

Well I installed the pioneer AVH3100DVD yesterday, and must say it looks sweeeeet! (LOL). Even with the scoche adapter piece it looks very clean and diffinetely stock. I don't know why I ever put off replacing the factory HU in the name of aesthetics. I'm a dummy. Thank-you all for helping me see the light. : ) Kinda pissed because I could have saved money and time on earlier ideas but... that's just the way things go for me. Anyway, I digress.

I'm still allowing my ears to adjust to the sound, making changes in amp gain, etc., but I have two questions:

1. I'm presently using the factory speakers powered by the pioneer HU. I thought they would sound pretty decent crossed over at 80Hz since the pioneer has high pass filters (which i love by the way). I'm still debating about the sound, but I think I may replace them, luckily I only have to do the fronts. That being said if I use coaxials in the front combined with the factory tweeters I already have... would that sound weird? AnZno has this arrangement so please feel free to respond.
(Nerding out just a bit, I know there is perhaps "phasing" issues with having sound coming from tweeters mounted in two different locations, i.e. one in the sail and another at your feet. Anyway, can this be heard? Maybe I'm completely nuking this?? lol)

2. Okay, I've taken too long just to write this much. To be continued...

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Recommend these Pioneer 2 way 6 1/2" for front

These pioneer 4" 2 way for rear

Best bang for buck, you can get both pairs for about $80.00 total

Just note due to the odd shape of the rear speaker hole, use the existing speaker to make a bracket for the new speaker by simply removing the speaker cone and screwing your new speaker right where the old cone used to be (plus the stock speaker chassis are plastic on some models), it will make a decent fit that way without alot of work.

·
Registered
2009 Premium X AT
866 Posts
I don't see any problems with it... Honestly, I have to turn down the setting on the head unit for the tweeters because the pitch gets too high... so the oem tweeters work well with the coaxials for my set up. I really can't tell the coax's are belting out highs that much, unless i really get down to that level to listen closely.... Mainly I hear the Mids and some lows coming from them. It works out well, and I love the way my system sounds.... give it a shot!

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
226 Posts
I'll be following this closely. Just installed the same HU, and am disappointed in the clarity of sound coming from the stock speakers. Did you end up bypassing the parking brake override?

·
Registered
2009 forester
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Big Jay, I did not bypass the parking brake feature, just used the provided splice and latched on to the lone wire going to the switch. Was that too wordy? LOL. Umm I guess in the future if i really want to I'll change it.

Azno thanks for the response. Wish I would have just done things right from the beginning and stopped messing around with mixing factory and aftermarket. Oh well, i toggle back and forth until I get things right. So your ears aren't bleeding then from all those tweeters in the front? And it doesn't sound funny? The only reason I ask is because I want to save money and still keep the sound stage that comes from having the tweeters up high. Purchasing a pair of aftermarket coaxials is much cheaper then buying a pair of components. Plus, if I bought the components I would feel obliged to mount their tweeter in the stock tweeter location. Having already purchased the subaru tweeters I feel kind of stupid doing that. You know what I mean?

By the way, does anyone know how the factory tweeters are wired in? Combined with the speakers in the door are they a 4 ohm load, 2 ohm? Also, how are they crossed over? I think I read that they just use a capacitor? And what's the difference in sound between using simply a capacitor versus a full fledged crossover "network"? For some this may be more then you want to wrap your head around, so sound nerds please respond. : ) (I don't mean that disparagingly.)

Big Jay, if I go with Azno's setup (which I think i might), I'll probably use the Infiniti Reference 6.5" Coaxials. I've heard the Reference series before. I had them running from a factory radio and their sound was very natural, not alot of bottom end but then that's what the sub is for. Also, they don't cost alot. : )

·
Registered
2009 forester
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sweet, I got a picture to attach! LOL. Sorry, it seems like I tried to attach pics once before and couldn't. Anyway, yes, I'll take a picture of the new install. The previous picture is when I tried to work with the factory head unit. Don't even get me started. It was the most elaborate (for me) install I'd ever done. As you can see I (had) mounted two amps in the foam tray. Needless to say, I'm no longer working with this arrangement. I've gone through several ideas for the sound system in this thing, the best of which was to scrap the factory HU as others have suggested. I think as far as the sound system goes in these cars (to include the accessory gadgets) either one should go all Subaru or all aftermarket but no in between.

·
Registered
2009 Premium X AT
866 Posts
Nope they arent... The coaxials belt out some highs, but not that much that i notice.... For my ears, the OEM Tweeters are plenty good to the point that I turn the setting from my HU down on them, while in my opinion the sound system overall sounds excellent... A lot of my friends love my sound system, saying the clarity overall sounds excellent... Not too bassy and not overwhelming in the mids and highs.... And Plus... I am EXTREMELY picky when it comes to my sound system, and if it doesn't sound right, I will NOT have it in my car.

One other thing to note is that the majority of the Aftermarket Tweeters will NOT fit in the stock locations on our Foresters. I believe there was another member on here that wanted to do this, but they didn't fit in the stock location.. So they ended up Flush Mounting them on the Door Panels.... Not something I'd want on my Forester. When I really crank my system up to full potential, The OEM tweeters handle just the way I want them. Its crisp and clear from where I'm sitting, yet not overpowering to the point that it sounds like screeching.

As for the hook up of the tweeters... I really am not sure how they are hooked up.... I know my door speakers are all hooked in to an amplifier... But the tweeters I believe are separate...

Oh and also, terry6spd, What part of VA are you from? I know I'm not too far from Norther VA, So if you ever want to come by and take a listen to my Fozzies sound system to help you figure out how you want to do yours, let me know

1 - 9 of 9 Posts