Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forester X
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided to start this journal to document all the modifications I've made to my Subaru over the last 5 years. I picked it up in 2016 with about 50k on the odometer. Today she is still going strong with around 110,000 miles on the clock.

Over the years I've done quite a few modifications and general upgrades. Including:

Full Black Interior Swap
Steering Wheel Radio Controls
Heated and Power Front Seats.
Android Headunit
Rear view camera
OEM Rain Guards
Gorilla Mud Flaps
Blacked Out Grille
Outback Fog Lights

Yesterday I started the process of adding fog lights to the Subie. Specifically fog lights from a 2005 Outback. I was never a fan of the stock Forester fog lights. I always thought they looked a bit too small. I knew the early Outback fogs would fit in the holes in the bumper but mounting them on the inside was the biggest challenge to overcome.

Fitting Outback fog lights in a Forester:

I'll be using the factory fog switch on the stalk to work the fog lights. My Forester did not come with fogs standard so I did source the switch off another parts car and installed that the relay and tested the lights prior to this mod to be sure the wiring was still good after sitting unused for 9 years.

Here's the final product with blacked out grille. As of this post it's still in my back room (I ran out of daylight!). I'll post pictures tomorrow of it mounted on the car.

First thing I had to do was take off the bumper and cut off the stock bracket mount. I left about 3/8 inch of the original bracket to mount the Outback bracket too. This was my working area for the project.

Then I had to trim the Outback mounting bracket. Left is trimmed and right is marked for cutting. Essentially I had to make the front of the bracket flat instead of tapered.

Test fitting the clearance on the light.

Test fitting the bracket.

I used JB Weld Plastic Bond and aluminum pop-rivets to join the bumper and bracket.

Pop Rivets in place and ready to go.

Inside the new bracket mount. here you can see the rivets and were I sanded the edges of the original mount smooth. The Outback fogs are a tight fit and every millimetre counts.

I also put weather sealing around the edge of the Outback fogs to ensure a tight fit.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
And after two days of work they are mounted!!! The fitment is super tight. The fogs are essentially permanently fixed. To get them out would probably require cutting the tab on the fog light itself. But the only reason I would take them out is if they were already broken so that really isn't an issue. They still retain some adjustability up and down, but not as much as they would stock on an Outback.

Here's a close up of the Outback fog light all mounted.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I took advantage of the great weather today to install the front bumper back on the Subaru. I think it looks fantastic with the larger fog lights and blacked out grille. I'm really happy with the result.
I took a drive to makes sure there weren't any problems and took some quick photos. In need of a good wash soon.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had 3 exhaust hangers go on me today. They were made by Bosal and came with my Rock Auto replacement exhaust. They are just under a year old. Avoid at all costs.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Certainly not a great product!
Definitely not.

Today I replaced all the hangers with Subaru hangers. They were $5 a piece which is only a few dollars more than the autoparts store generic ones. Every one of the Bosal hangers were dry rotted and crumbled apart. It was a bear trying to get the new OEM hangers on. There must be a trick to doing it. Hopefully OEM quality means I won't have to do it again.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Chris
Nice documentation on the foglight swap.

How's the difference at night? Did you take a before/after in use picture?
Thanks for the compliment. I don't have a picture at the moment. I'll take one tomorrow night.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did a gear oil change yesterday on the front and rear diffs. As well as an ATF drain and fill.

Today I drained and filled the coolant. Unfortunately it look like there's a bit of oil in the old coolant. What types of problems could I be facing? Also, I didn't add the Subaru coolant conditioner as I've heard its basically just stop leak but now I'm thinking it may be beneficial.

Not sure how well you can see the oil. Also the old coolant was Subaru Super Blue. It just looks green in the picture.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can get the coolant tested if you're worried about it.
Well, I guess my question is should I be worried about it?
What do they test for? And does any auto shop do the testing?
Does anyone recommend adding the conditioner? I decided against is given most stop leak products aren't known to be very successful.

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts