Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a lot of work done on my daughter's 2001 Forester and I want it to last for a few more years. 130,000 miles and I have used regular oil. Would there be any downside to going to a synthetic?

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
I've been running synthetic in everything I own since I was a GSM (gas turbine tech) in the Navy.
My opinion it is far superior than natural oil and is much more resistant to higher temps.

Run it in my 01 since I got it.

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
I think the only downside going over to synth oil would be if you have bad gaskets. Old bad gaskets = oil leak of some sort.
It's not that the oil cause the leak but the old oil was just too thick to go through.

But this could be all crazy talk. It's just what I heard.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,501 Posts
No downside. Just go with WalMart Synthetic. It does a good job and is cheap.

·
Registered
2009 Forester (MT)
226 Posts
Synthetic oils may be better than regular oils, but are more expensive. In reality, if you change the oil often you can save a lot of cash by using regular oils. I don't think that one type of oil extends engine life over the other.

I switched to Mobil 1 (synthetic), from Castrol GTX regular oil on my Forester, but only because a gallon of synthetic oil costs around $22.00 at Walmart. Otherwise I would have continued using Castrol GTX. I have been using regular oil on a 1987 Civic Si I drive to work each day, and the odometer has over 253,000 miles (I had thought it had 257,000 already! I wonder if it's moving backwards?) :) I have used Castrol GTX, Penzoil, Quaker State, and mostly NAPA oils on this car, and have never had an engine problem with it. I replace the oil every 3,000 miles.

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback Wagon
67 Posts
Another option for your consideration:

Valvoline MaxLife 5W30 (semi-synthetic red bottle).

This way you get a synthetic blend and a high mileage oil with gasket sealers. Might be just the ticket for your high mileage engine to make it last longer.

But like the Honda above, there are a lot of Subie's out there doing 200-300K miles on their engines with conventional oil and regular changes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts