Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Legacy unknown
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently paid a little extra for an oil change stating the next oil change is 15,000. Does Subaru supports this claim? If there is a warranty issue, will the owner be held liable for following the guidelines of a major oil change company?

·
Registered
2012 Forester X 5 MT
881 Posts
If your engine fails because of oil related problems, I suspect your warranty is toast. Non oil related problems should still be covered.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,712 Posts
First of all you shouldn't go that distance without taking a Used oil analysis at say 8K miles:
http://www.blackstone-labs.net

Technically what you are doing will not void your warranty (Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.) But if the engine has problems you probably will have to go to court to get it covered. The used oil analysis provides assurance to you and would be a piece of documentation if bad things happen.

I assume you are using Amsoil? Good oil but they won't go to bat for you other than maybe writing a letter. The letter will say essentially say that Amsoil oil will perform 15K miles in a "sound" engine. If the engine fails..obviously its an unsound engine (By Amsoil's definition). Its then is your problem to resolve with the dealer. I was an Amsoilo Dealer..I know how they play the game. Just saying...

Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,979 Posts
I recently paid a little extra for an oil change stating the next oil change is 15,000. Does Subaru supports this claim? If there is a warranty issue, will the owner be held liable for following the guidelines of a major oil change company?
Considering how cheap an oil/filter change is, why would you even consider going double the milage specified by Subaru? What matters is the vehicle manufacturer's guidelines, not some oil change company's hype.

·
Registered
2014 forester XT touring CVT
1,660 Posts
I have a 2007 335i and I do dealer services every 15k that's what BMW says and the car has zero issues and runs like a champ. It's also stage 2 and I don't drive to easy on her. My sti I do every 1000 miles cause I only put 2-3000 miles on a year. My xt ill do every 7500

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4EAT
2,265 Posts
If you follow the car manufacturer's suggested service intervals, you will have much less problems if you ever do have any warranty work.
Just sayin'...

·
Registered
2002 Outback H6 4EAT
1,062 Posts
Not under factory warranty, they don't. If under factory warranty and any issue arises, Subaru probably won't touch it and leave the oil company to deal with it.

If out of warranty, then the claim for any issue would be with the oil company.

Also, never go 15k without checking your oil. No matter how long you go, check it every little bit.

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring 4EAT
3,751 Posts
Considering how cheap an oil/filter change is, why would you even consider going double the mileage specified by Subaru? What matters is the vehicle manufacturer's guidelines, not some oil change company's hype.
+1

Modern synthetic oils are readily available - just watch for a sale at Wallyworld. They provide great lubrication service and durability. Follow the engine maker's guidelines.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Touring CVT
239 Posts
Although some synthetic oil manufacturers may advertise 15000 miles per their claim, I would not want to go that far. Remember, the oil filter is also a factor. If it were me, I would not push the OCI's beyond Subaru's recommendation. Not worth the possible problems you may encounter with engine wear.

Don't leave yourself in a position where your warranty will be effected.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts