Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
German tech
MY16 Audi S3 Sedan DSG 6 speed
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone taken the car ferry from Sydney to Tassie ?

My daughter has always wanted to go on a cruise (she only just told me) and I get the new car tomorrow.

I thought about getting the car ferry down to Tassie and doing some driving - this gets her on a cruise (sort of) and I get to have fun in the new car.

Yes, it's not cheap and I think all up I won't see change out of a grand (plus expenses) but could be a great trip.

Has anyone done any driving around Tassie. I have been there but just for a week.

Thanks in anticipation

:drool:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Candy,
A few years ago my wife and i took our Zook to TAS.
Melb to Devonport overnight.

Take your spew tab's, coz it can be rough.

Nice place and not bad to drive around.
There are plenty of back roads, and gentle sweeping drives thru the rainforests between Hobart and the Huon valley.
Freycinet (NP i think) is meant to be lovely, but we didnt make it there last time, maybe later. There's not a lot to see on the road between Launceston and Hobart, but if you have enough time, there are plenty of side trips to enjoy.

Justin.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hey i forgot,
Congrats on the newbie.
You'll be all smiles for days.

Justin.

·
German tech
MY16 Audi S3 Sedan DSG 6 speed
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Justin

Have good sealegs (thanks to my Dad) but will take your advice :)

My sister drove around Tassie for 2 weeks and loved it so that is where the interest came from

As for the new car - yes, has been a wait but expectations are high

My first privately owned vehicle in 20 years so quite an event

cheers

·
Registered
209 Posts
Same as Justin, the wife and I caught the Spirit of Tassie out of Melbourne as the Sydney trip didn't exist. It's a great boat, its like an enormous RSL club except it moves. The return trip was a pretty hairy as a low pressure system came through Bass Straight and using George from Seinfield's line: "the sea was angry that day my friends" :eek:mgwtfbbq

Driving on the island is spectacular and I'm sure a few of our members not from "the mainland" will chime in with support. We spent 2 weeks which meant we saw sh1tloads and chilled out heaps. Definately on the agenda to go back there in a year or so. One thing that regularly scared me was the logging trucks, they are brutal

·
Registered
6 Posts
Shush! We try and keep our roads to ourselves!
But seriously you can get right around the state without using Highway1. I probably should mention that the Tassie/Vic WRX clubs organise a Targa tour each year which follows the Targa Tasmania route. I understand they already get a few forrie GTs. Or come down at the end of April and follow the actual Targa event around.
Craig

M

·
0 Posts
We got on the boat in Sydney with our XT and have not gone back!

This is a great place to drive, suggest you chuck your things in the car, grab the visa, and go!

Get in touch if you want to see some of the 'lesser known' roads. Or get involved with some other action! ;)

·
Administrator
15,770 Posts
Welcome to the forum funforrie!

We flew down and rented a car. The run from Hobart to Strahan was great, especially the bends into Queenstown. I think it has the most bends in the Southern hemisphere - it would be fantastic in the Forester! We then went up to Cradle Mtn and down the middle back to Hobart.

Really enjoyed Tassie!

·
Registered
2006 XTL
61 Posts
We will be down there after boxing day this year for 3 weeks. Can't wait.

The bendy roads sound like alot of fun but we will be towing a camper which may slow us down :(

We are going down with a large group of 4WDs from the Subaru & Rec. 4WD Club, but unfortunately we will only have 2 Foresters amongst us.

Troy

·
Administrator
15,770 Posts
Glad to see you back here again Troy!

FYI guys, Troy is very experienced at driving Foresters offroad. The XT is his second Forester.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts