Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of right now, I have about 250 miles on the BattleWagon's new heart... planning on the first change at 1,000 miles. My question is, on this engine, how soon is too soon to switch to synthetic? My CCR pamphlet (Remanufactured Subaru Engines) that came with the engine suggested conventional to 10,000 miles.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,402 Posts
I suppose you should go with the recommendation. Probably won't mater unless you use an Ester like RedLine or Motul.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
I switched after 10,000 miles. You won't gain much by switching now, I'd wait.

Stan

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
I suppose you should go with the recommendation. Probably won't mater unless you use an Ester like RedLine or Motul.
What's that mean?

I switched at 1000 miles in my XT, same as we do for most built motors. If it ever consumes oil down the line, just switch to conventional for a change or two, and it should go away.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,402 Posts
What's that mean?

I switched at 1000 miles in my XT, same as we do for most built motors
I guess the difference would be the type of bore/ring machining on a new vbs built motor. If they did a manual hone on a rebuilt then esters/polyol esters might not have enough friction to allow rings to seat (glaze instead) Just a wild guess...don't really know.

In general with a "new" engine its broken in by the time you get it home.

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,934 Posts
As of right now, I have about 250 miles on the BattleWagon's new heart... planning on the first change at 1,000 miles. My question is, on this engine, how soon is too soon to switch to synthetic? My CCR pamphlet (Remanufactured Subaru Engines) that came with the engine suggested conventional to 10,000 miles.

Thoughts?
Given that you trust the rebuilder enough to have paid them over 3 grand for a rebuilt engine, why would you NOT trust them enough to follow their advice on oil?

Their warranty goes for 50k miles and requires you to do 3k mile oil changes. I would imagine they would want proof of oil changes as well.

George

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
931 Posts
Given that you trust the rebuilder enough to have paid them over 3 grand for a rebuilt engine, why would you NOT trust them enough to follow their advice on oil?

Their warranty goes for 50k miles and requires you to do 3k mile oil changes. I would imagine they would want proof of oil changes as well.

George
+1

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

George
Well, while I somewhat agree with this....

It's sort of like, say, if I trust Subaru to build my (~26 grand) car, why do I put in a transmission cooler, or different m/t gear oil to match my climate, or even different tires because the original ones don't suit my needs well?

Honestly, had it not been for the warranty, I'd have switched it at 3k. I'm closing on 10k now though, so I guess it doesn't really matter. We switched the Forester at the first oil change (1700 miles) and 172,000 miles later Blackstone says it is the best looking Subaru engine that they've ever seen with that kind of mileage.

Another screwed up warranty thing... they require me to use the POS Subaru OEM filter for all changes under warranty. A filter that's made in a factory where they do not care if the cheapo cardboard endcaps don't line up and dirty oil leaks through where it shouldn't. So the best I can hope is that I get all good filters, or that the engine craps itself under warranty from them, instead of having prolonged exposure to dirty oil causing it to fail after warranty. I've kept all oil/filter receipts and written the OCI mileage on them and filed them away.

I trust them to build the engine. They're good at that. They built mine special for me. I don't really trust their opinions on what to fill it with or filter it with, just because there is better stuff for it out there. :shrug:

Just my humble opinion. :smile:

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess the difference would be the type of bore/ring machining on a new vbs built motor. If they did a manual hone on a rebuilt then esters/polyol esters might not have enough friction to allow rings to seat (glaze instead) Just a wild guess...don't really know.

In general with a "new" engine its broken in by the time you get it home.

CCR does not bore or hone the blocks... if they require that, they scrap them and use a different one.

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,934 Posts
Well, while I somewhat agree with this....

It's sort of like, say, if I trust Subaru to build my (~26 grand) car, why do I put in a transmission cooler, or different m/t gear oil to match my climate, or even different tires because the original ones don't suit my needs well?

Honestly, had it not been for the warranty, I'd have switched it at 3k. I'm closing on 10k now though, so I guess it doesn't really matter. We switched the Forester at the first oil change (1700 miles) and 172,000 miles later Blackstone says it is the best looking Subaru engine that they've ever seen with that kind of mileage.

Another screwed up warranty thing... they require me to use the POS Subaru OEM filter for all changes under warranty. A filter that's made in a factory where they do not care if the cheapo cardboard endcaps don't line up and dirty oil leaks through where it shouldn't. So the best I can hope is that I get all good filters, or that the engine craps itself under warranty from them, instead of having prolonged exposure to dirty oil causing it to fail after warranty. I've kept all oil/filter receipts and written the OCI mileage on them and filed them away.

I trust them to build the engine. They're good at that. They built mine special for me. I don't really trust their opinions on what to fill it with or filter it with, just because there is better stuff for it out there. :shrug:

Just my humble opinion. :smile:
I would not think this to be the same as the trans cooler--the rebuilder is allowing synthetic oil, but only after their specified break-in period with dino. It might be old wisdom but there was a school of thought that said we wanted to do this.

I bought a stash of the old black filters for my Foz when I heard of the change to Fram, and find Subaru's use of Fram as an OEM not a good thing, but using the factory filters does get the correct bypass spring settings, etc. If they did not specify OEM filters, people might buy the $1.88 filters from Walmart that suck worse than any Fram would.

I've used our Acura/Honda dealer for years to change the oil in my old Acura (a '98 TL) till I sold it at 137k miles, and now my wife's 2007 Civic, with the blue Honda filters that are Frams... Keeps the warranties happy, and hell, the Honda dealer will change the oil in under a half hour with a car wash thrown in for less than $30 out the door.

I've actually been bringing a black filter and 5 quarts of 5W30 Synpower with me to the Subaru dealer to have them change the oil as well. (Again, it's cheap with a free wash.) I still have 2 cars around on which I do my own changes, so I won't forget how to do them.

George

George

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I'll be taking my own oil to the Subaru dealership in Kansas this next month while I'm at school. They said they'd be happy to do whatever I like. :smile:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts