Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Autolite to NGK. Looks like Gas Mileage went up about 1 mpg. Guess I'll stay wioth NGK.

Plugs were 15 bucks each at Subaru. :icon_eek: Used my Subaru Bucks..since I didn't need the bucks for anything else.

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,658 Posts
From Autolite to NGK. Looks like Gas Mileage went up about 1 mpg. Guess I'll stay wioth NGK.

Plugs were 15 bucks each at Subaru. :icon_eek: Used my Subaru Bucks..since I didn't need the bucks for anything else.
I presume you got the Iridium plugs? We sell Autolite at Autozone, they are more of a value plug than meeting OEM spec. I have had good results with NGK G-Power which we sell (single plat), whole 4$ each I think too.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
I've used NGK plugs for over 30 years and will continue to do so with pleasure. Depending on which model plug they sold you, will have an effect on pricing, but in my opinion $15 per plug for the Iridium plugs for the X, are still too expensive especially if they didn't come in the OEM supply Subaru Blue & White boxes, complete with part number.

Have a read of the NGK website for all they offer. NGK, is a OEM supplier to Subaru. When you get OEM replacement wire sets they are the blue NGK models, also available cheaper through automotive supply chains.

Coming from someone who likes my dealership and is a friend of one of the mechanics, sometimes the aftermarket offering is identical to the OEM part supplier only cheaper, and if I'm DIYing I'll go with the less expensive ones.

Just to get some reference of US prices Auto Zone does list the Iridium plug for $6.99 on their website, probably special order at some stores. I too use the more standard G-Power plugs with no issues and can get 4 of them locally for about $17 CDN.

If you are like me, I like to check them after the winter to see how they look and change them as part of a simple seasonal tune-up, probably overkill based on how long they actually will last, just a habit I'm not concerned breaking.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I presume you got the Iridium plugs? We sell Autolite at Autozone, they are more of a value plug than meeting OEM spec. I have had good results with NGK G-Power which we sell (single plat), whole 4$ each I think too.
I put in what Subaru recommends for that VIN#. It had a Subaru Part# on the Box and I didn't check what it was. I have no regrets as the original set was like new at 40K miles. I now have 56K and will be getting rid of it at 100K or so.

So they were essentially free with the Subaru bucks.

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,658 Posts
I put in what Subaru recommends for that VIN#. It had a Subaru Part# on the Box and I didn't check what it was. I have no regrets as the original set was like new at 40K miles. I now have 56K and will be getting rid of it at 100K or so.

So they were essentially free with the Subaru bucks.
Ah, in that case, no worries. NGK is definitely a superior product.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
213 Posts
I only use NGK or Denso Spark plugs. I personally like the Denso plugs better. I have had a few of my modified motors run better on the Densos plugs.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
931 Posts
Can you use Iridium spark plugs on the NA? Can any one recommend a good sparkplugs for the NA that dose not need to be change as often lol? I had a civic and I just had to change the sparkplugs at 100k, why do we have to change the sparkplugs on the forester every 30K? that just dose not make any sense. Thanks.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
217 Posts
Can you use Iridium spark plugs on the NA? Can any one recommend a good sparkplugs for the NA that dose not need to be change as often lol? I had a civic and I just had to change the sparkplugs at 100k, why do we have to change the sparkplugs on the forester every 30K? that just dose not make any sense. Thanks.
Yeah, I know... I'm trying to figure that out too. The good news is that Advance Auto has the plugs and they're around $6 (FR5AP-11, #5463) ea.

Is the Subie ignition system a "waste spark" type? If it is, then that's a possible explanation as the plugs would be firing twice more over their service life.I'm retracting this statement -- checked my engine performance books and they said that this system doesn't add more wear to the plugs.

BTW, I see in your signature that you're using PU 5w-30. I hope that you're planning to do a UOA and posting it as many of us are waiting to see how this
"Exceeds the engine cleansing and protection requirements of ILSAC GF-5" miracle oil performs. It's interesting that they didn't use that same statement for API/SN.

Regards,
paul...

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
Would Iridiums on an NA cause excess vibration? I'm tempted to go back to FR5AP-11 and see if there is a difference. Not sure if the BKR5EIX-11s are contributing to my rougher idle or I just have a dirty TB but it started right around when I put in the BKR5EIX-11s.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
931 Posts
Yeah, I know... I'm trying to figure that out too. The good news is that Advance Auto has the plugs and they're around $6 (FR5AP-11, #5463) ea.

Is the Subie ignition system a "waste spark" type? If it is, then that's a possible explanation as the plugs would be firing twice more over their service life.

BTW, I see in your signature that you're using PU 5w-30. I hope that you're planning to do a UOA and posting it as many of us are waiting to see how this
"Exceeds the engine cleansing and protection requirements of ILSAC GF-5" miracle oil performs. It's interesting that they didn't use that same statement for API/SN.

Regards,
paul...
I will do UOA on PU but currently I have the PP in it so it will take a while. So far I can tell you my engine runs better on it, especially since we been hit with crazy heat, the oil stays cleaner that for sure, the delear garbage turn black within few miles I have on PP so far about 500 miles and still looks like the day I put it in. (yeah i know collor dose not tell you a lot). I will share my UOA, I am planing to change PP at 5000k and put in Ultra run that for 7,500 and get the UOA so it will take a while.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would Iridiums on an NA cause excess vibration? I'm tempted to go back to FR5AP-11 and see if there is a difference. Not sure if the BKR5EIX-11s are contributing to my rougher idle or I just have a dirty TB but it started right around when I put in the BKR5EIX-11s.
What I would do is pull 2 of the wires and then measure the resistance on them, to insure you did not destroy one. Drive it and then do the other two.

If the problem still exists, I would would replace 2 plugs at a time and again check those two wires just before installation.

Make sure you feel a "click" when putting the wire on the plug and the other end.

You have a miss and I would give 5 to one odds you screwed something up. Its easy to do.

Also use dialectic grease on plug and on the other end.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
I'll get a multimeter to test. Not sure what I screwed up as I've done the plugs many times the same exact way, minus forgeting to put some dialectic grease on the end of the plug this time.

Hmm actually for $48 I might just toss in the NGK wires and go from there. Wouldn't hurt to run some new wires.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,085 Posts
It's been a while since I mentioned this, so here's a quick rerun of my technique for getting the best price for plugs on eBay:
Search by the part number and check the "Search Title and Description" box. With that box unchecked the search doesn't get into the text of the description, and most of the titles only contain the name of one particular car that they fit. I've bought plugs for my Subies on listings titled as fitting Honda, Acura, and Lexus, but the search found the right part number deep down in the text.​

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll get a multimeter to test. Not sure what I screwed up as I've done the plugs many times the same exact way, minus forgeting to put some dialectic grease on the end of the plug this time.

Hmm actually for $48 I might just toss in the NGK wires and go from there. Wouldn't hurt to run some new wires.
Well..unless you install plugs for a living I would guess I have done the job, many, many more times than you on dozens of cars. (I'm 64) Once in a while..something goes wrong. Might not even be your fault.

I do like NGK wires. I have them for my Nissan Sentra.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts