Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Premium/Manual
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see the 2010 Outback has a slick new roof rail system where the cross bars fold into the rails for storage, then swing out and lock in as cross bars. Anybody know of a similar system for the Forester, or if SUB will add it to the Forester lineup? Or an aftermarket rack that works the same way?

·
Registered
SG9 Forester XT Stick Shift
1,667 Posts
Its really slick but not really useful for me. I use my cross bar a lot and I need all the spacing adjust ability of it. The Outback swing style cross bar are fixed position which could make it hard to fit a certain roof attachment.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
444 Posts
That plus they aren't quite as secure as a more traditional bar. If you grab 'em and yank there's a little wiggle to them. I had a customer who mounted a kayak rack on them and when a kayak isn't mounted, the rack shakes back and forth.

There is no aftermarket rack that does that, though, to answer your question.

I should also say that I didn't mean the Outback rack is junk, it's just that I wouldn't overweigh it with a LOT of weight. Bikes and skis would be fine, that sorta stuff.

·
Registered
2003 XS
169 Posts
I should also say that I didn't mean the Outback rack is junk
Why not? It is junk. It's completely useless. It's a rack for people that don't use a rack. Anyone that actually uses a rack takes one look at that thing and laughs. It's a tragedy. I whitewater kayak and the kayaking community loved the Outback. They swore by them. However, when they saw the new rack system on the Outback, they completely flipped their wig. Now, a lot of them are switching over to the Forester simply because you can't put anything on top of the Outback. You should be glad the Forester doesn't have the same rack.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
444 Posts
Why not? It is junk. It's completely useless. It's a rack for people that don't use a rack. Anyone that actually uses a rack takes one look at that thing and laughs. It's a tragedy. I whitewater kayak and the kayaking community loved the Outback. They swore by them. However, when they saw the new rack system on the Outback, they completely flipped their wig. Now, a lot of them are switching over to the Forester simply because you can't put anything on top of the Outback. You should be glad the Forester doesn't have the same rack.
You're right, it's a rack for people who don't use a rack. Like I said, skis and bikes. Actually, I wouldn't put like a heavy DH bike up there.

The crappy part is due to the housings, it doesn't appear that there is a way to clamp on new towers and bars.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts