Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
05 XT 5mt
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my springs. I gotta say its a big difference from stock. The ride quality I think is better than stock but the handling is much improved. Pics will b coming once the weather clears up.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts
congrats on the new springs. You'll probably find that they handle best with some extra weight in the car because of their progressive spring-rates.
If you want things even better, you should get an STi swaybar for the rear if you don't already have one.

·
Forum Member
2004 FXT
952 Posts
congrats!

I installed my swifts today, and only got to ride around a bit on the fwy to get home. Ill be getting my alignment redone next week after i swap out my tie rod ends... then the fun will really begin.

again, congrats :)

ps. did you have them installed? or did you do the work yourself?

·
Registered
05 XT 5mt
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As much as I wanted to do it myself I had to have them installed. I have the ability to do it just not the capabalities to do it at home. Im getting an alignment this week. RSB is next. along with a short throw. It will still be a while before I can really feel them out cause I still have stock wheels and tire size.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Limited
1,870 Posts
Swifts are cool. I am riding on them now and thoroughly enjoy them.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
57 Posts
Hoping to get the swifts too but there's one thing I worry, would it be possible
that the springs get unseated from their retainers if I use the OEM shocks?

The wobbly stock suspension is getting more & more unbearable by the day.:yell:

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
It is unlikely springs even shorter than Swifts will get unseated, I've never heard of that happening. I'd worry alot more about tires exploding or someone running into you before the spring getting unseated.

Stan

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
57 Posts
My dad would drive the forester once in a while and he's quite aggressive with it, not slowing down enough
when hitting speed bumps or off roading that'll cause it to lift off the ground for a short duration that's why I worry.:crazy:
Under such condition, would it be fine to install the swifts?

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
I see your concern, it's understandable. Driving like that the struts will most likely get blown out quicker than otherwise, but I still doubt the spring would get unseated. Even if you extend the strut all the way, like if the car was in the air for a while, the Swifts will still be compressed and should stay put.

Stan

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,450 Posts
My dad would drive the forester once in a while and he's quite aggressive with it, not slowing down enough
when hitting speed bumps or off roading that'll cause it to lift off the ground for a short duration that's why I worry.:crazy:
Under such condition, would it be fine to install the swifts?
I've seen STOCK springs unseated from the spring perch... our '98 came with this problem when we bought it a few years ago. Given enough abuse or improper installation, anything could happen. Is it very likely? I think it's more likely to bend a strut or control arm, in my experience. :shrug:

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
57 Posts
I see your concern, it's understandable. Driving like that the struts will most likely get blown out quicker than otherwise, but I still doubt the spring would get unseated. Even if you extend the strut all the way, like if the car was in the air for a while, the Swifts will still be compressed and should stay put.

Stan
I've seen STOCK springs unseated from the spring perch... our '98 came with this problem when we bought it a few years ago. Given enough abuse or improper installation, anything could happen. Is it very likely? I think it's more likely to bend a strut or control arm, in my experience. :shrug:
Thanks for the swift response!:rock:
Think I'll go ahead and get the springs. :Banane08:
My dad did have a 98 forester too before he sold if off last year, thankfully he never did that to his forester because of the 18" rims.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
congrats on the new springs. You'll probably find that they handle best with some extra weight in the car because of their progressive spring-rates.
If you want things even better, you should get an STi swaybar for the rear if you don't already have one.
I agree, I have them with the sti rsb and its a nice combo. It also towed out bike no problem with no extra rear sag.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts