Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running these? I'm thinking of trying them with my WRX Konis instead of the OEM STi springs I'm running now, I wouldn't mind a bit softer, wagon-specific spring. They are 185 lb/in front, 162 lb/in rear in rates.

Any thoughts? Swift Springs - Springs & Shocks

Stan

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,296 Posts
I'm starting to think that in SF, nothing but Swifts is appropriate. I run pretty soft (IMO) rates at 257/217 and while it was fine for the most part, some of the potholes that Gavin Newsom missed or sloppily fixed were like mini ramps! What profile tires are you running now?

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ADVAN Neova AD07 in 225/45/18. I don't mind the stiff ride so much when driving alone, otherwise I would have stayed with the Prodrives. It's when there are people in the car and I have to navigate trough certain parts of the city (Richmond district for example) that it becomes very apparent. I have a 4-year old in the car pretty often and I want her to be able to drink her milk safely and not notice the bumps as much.

Stan

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,296 Posts
Yeah I totally understand, except when I hit a pothole so hard, my chassis bangs like I was just airdropped out of the rear of a C-17 without a parachute.

The only thing is.. the Konis seem like such a waste with Swifts, which are always designed for stock struts.

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A good strut is a good strut, using softer springs would allow me more rebound adjustment, it should still work way better than stock WRX takeoffs. I've come to realize that for a street car the softest spring I can get away with would be ideal for my needs, even if allows for more body roll. I have relatively big bars anyway. My main concern is the Swifts being too low for our cars, I don't want to be lower than I am now.

I've seen Adam's Forester at the track -- he had STis, RSs and WRXs unsuccessfully trying to chase him down. He is a NASA instructor though. He is on AGXs and Swifts, I'm just not sure if they are wagon or STi Swifts.

Stan

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,128 Posts
I have a 4-year old in the car pretty often and I want her to be able to drink her milk safely and not notice the bumps as much.

Stan
Flexi straw. I love taking them over the top of the steepest hills in S.F. and goosing it.

What tire pressure are you using?

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have to check the air pressure again, but I believe I set it to 38 front 36 rear cold last time.

Stan

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's riiight, Tre36 did run them! Thank you for reminding me.

I'll try dropping the tire pressure to 34 front 32 rear, cold. I'll dial down the rebound, too. I may throw the stock wheels back on for a while to see the difference in comfort. Maybe I'll get some new 225/50 tires for the stock wheels and see how that works out, too (stupid Geolanders refuse to get fully worn out :icon_mad:).

D'oh, in Tre's pictures his car is lower than mine now, sigh.

Stan

·
The Sub kit guy
13,008 Posts
It was pretty low riding. It became too low and too rough for him so he swapped to Forester Swifts.

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have 1/2" spacers, I'm only running the rears right now. I took the fronts out when I swapped for the Group N mounts -- the Group N mounts seem to make the car sit a bit higher, so I actually stayed at pretty much the same height as I was with stock mounts and 1/2" spacers. I'd rather not run spacers and use taller springs for more travel.

It was probably harsh because he was on the bumpstops most of the time -- exactly what I'm trying to avoid. The Forester Swifts are actually higher rates than the WRX wagon springs. I'm almost at a point of attempting the Koni inserts in stock strut housings, using them with Forester Swifts -- I've come full circle :icon_biggrin:

Stan

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd be interested in trying out stock WRX wagon springs, if anyone has a set for sale cheap please let me know.

Stan

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,536 Posts
I have a set of the WRX wagon swifts in the garage. Picked up a set of '07 WRX sedan take-off struts with 4k miles and am going to swap them on the SF next week with a 3/8" rear saggy butt spacer. Just hoping that the drop won't be too low. Already lowered about an inch on the JDM FSTi suspension, thinking another 2" is what to expect.

·
The Sub kit guy
13,008 Posts
IMO the setup on Tre36's car wasnt harsh at all. I drove it many times and loved it. I have no issue running that setup, and 50% of my driving is with a 3.5 and 2 year old in the car.

If I ran them I'd use AGXs so I could dial in the ride and I'd run spacers to bring it up a bit.

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just wish they were a bit higher, I think they'd be too low for my needs. If you end up installing them, I'd be curious to see pictures and hear your feedback.

Stan

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,591 Posts
What Koni struts are you running?
Are you using the OEM housing and just replaced the struts with Koni ones and Sti pink springs at the moment?
Are there any modifications needed if so or just remove OEM struts and replace with the Konis?
My dad's Civic Vti had yellow adjustable Koni struts which greatly improved the handling.

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am using '04 WRX strut housings with Koni inserts in them. I have USDM STi springs over them at the moment, switching to SPT wagon pinks would get me a bit more height in the rear.

I switched out my 18" wheels for the 17" stockers with 215/55 Geolanders and turned down rebound to 1/4" from full soft. I also replaced the 3" catback with an STi one. The car is alot more street-friendly this way.

Stan

1 - 20 of 59 Posts