Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Auto
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pulling the trigger and buying swift lowering springs for my 08 fxt. I'm at 78,000 miles. Is it a mistake to reuse the struts? The cost of replacing the struts makes me wanna cancel the entire upgrade... I can afford the springs, but not the struts... Will the stock struts blow apart in the first year for sure? Or can I get a few years out of them?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
'08 SGM FSX Auto
398 Posts
Who knows. I put swifts on my stock struts with about 70k miles on them. Never had an issue. But I only used them for 10k miles before I upgraded further.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,581 Posts
I would recommend putting it off until you can replace the struts. You'll spend less in the long run that way.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Auto
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well... Cost won't change... But the labour of pulling the struts and changing the struts twice is the kicker I guess.... How long does it take to re/re the struts and springs? Is it a good 5 hour job?

·
Registered
2012 Forester XT Touring Auto
766 Posts
the travel of the spring isn't supposed to be out of spec, so they should run fine. But yes, since they are getting older (over 50k) it may be worth just buying new struts all around if you have the cash. If anything it will save you going to the shop a second time if your having a mechanic install them.

Rockauto.com has great prices on struts.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Auto
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can do the work myself... So labor cost isn't the issue. These springs are meant for oem struts.. But everybody is saying they wear the struts out faster, especially oem subaru struts. The kyb struts are valved stiffer I'm told, and last much longer than oem's.
Since I'm not paying a shop, I'm tempted to just to do the swap and run em till they fail..

·
Registered
2007 Forester Sports XT Manual
219 Posts
The swift springs were designed to be used with the stock struts. If they're fine now, and you drive the same, they should give you a few more years if you want them to. Typically when people start upgrading suspension parts, they want the best handling they can out of those upgrades, and that would mean replacing the struts.

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring 4EAT
3,751 Posts
I would recommend putting it off until you can replace the struts. You'll spend less in the long run that way.
+1.

Struts wear out.

There's a lot of labor involved in a spring swap, plus you should get your alignment checked afterwards. Do the job right (and do it completely) the first time.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Auto
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Dave. You're right. I'll buy the springs cause it's a deal. And save me until I buy struts. The guy selling them responded to my wtb ad. But he's not a forum member. Would you guys trust a non member sale? He wants to use money gram cause his pay pal is dormant... :S

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,581 Posts
I can do the work myself... So labor cost isn't the issue. These springs are meant for oem struts.. But everybody is saying they wear the struts out faster, especially oem subaru struts. The kyb struts are valved stiffer I'm told, and last much longer than oem's.
Since I'm not paying a shop, I'm tempted to just to do the swap and run em till they fail..

Since you're doing the work yourself, this sounds like a fine idea. you'll know pretty quickly if the dampers are up to par, and shouldn't wear out if there isn't already an issue.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,581 Posts

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
Thanks Dave. You're right. I'll buy the springs cause it's a deal. And save me until I buy struts. The guy selling them responded to my wtb ad. But he's not a forum member. Would you guys trust a non member sale? He wants to use money gram cause his pay pal is dormant... :S

SCAM - anytime someone tells you their PP is dormant - do not even bother responding. We remove PM scammers with this MO here weekly. Please report any users that contact you with this kind of offer.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Limited 5speed manual
59 Posts
if you are doing the work, either choice is fine if you are willing to do it again. no one can say how long the struts will last. I am doing the same thing, but paying a mechanic to do the work, so I will buy the struts. if I was in your shoes I would not buy them now.

·
Registered
2006 XT Limited 4EAT
4,793 Posts
I would go ahead and install them on the stock struts. If they're not broken now, and you don't break them during the install, changing the spring rate isn't going to suddenly break them. Mann Engineering designed the stroke to be within safe spec of the stock struts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts