Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
6/22/76 - 12/21/14 , Gone but not forgotten
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Second time.

The sparkly things are the shards of glass...

Anybody know how much it is to fix this?

Also, does anybody know what I should do about the management not helping resolve the issue the first time around?

This is the 2nd time in about 3-4 months. While I LOVE my neighborhood, the people, the city of SF itself, I am fully aware of the risks I take living in such a densly populated area. I am not going to move. Instead, I'm going to sue the management/owners of the building with a civil suit, and get all the neighbors involved as well. It should be fun!

Anybody have any suggestions on how to go about doing that, or have any experience?

EDIT: OMG, they just got the OTHER forester within the past 1 HOUR!!!! They broke BOTH her rear hatch window and passenger window. CAN U BELIEVE THIS SH**?! REALLY brazen mofo's as the cops came, took down my report, and then, I go out, and they're there again...

Attachments

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
sleepy said:
Second time.

The sparkly things are the shards of glass...

Anybody know how much it is to fix this?

Also, does anybody know what I should do about the management not helping resolve the issue the first time around?

This is the 2nd time in about 3-4 months. While I LOVE my neighborhood, the people, the city of SF itself, I am fully aware of the risks I take living in such a densly populated area. I am not going to move. Instead, I'm going to sue the management/owners of the building with a civil suit, and get all the neighbors involved as well. It should be fun!

Anybody have any suggestions on how to go about doing that, or have any experience?
Again?? Very sorry to see your Subie was violated once more. :frown:

If I were you, I'd move... but I guess this risk exists practically anywhere in the city. The fact that the building managers are not getting involved gives me the distinct feeling that they're in on something.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Is the car parked on the street or in some garage? I guess if it were in the building's park lot then they should be responsible to some degree. Did they steal something inside of the car?

I live in Brooklyn, luckily have never had anything like that happen even though i park on the street, I just make sure never to leave anything in the car that might give someone the slightest reason to break in.

·
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
thanks pleiad7 and nachas

my car's safer on the street :)

gated, video camera protected entry, indoor garage.

basically, a typical gated indoor apartment complex garage with a gate that closes about 30 seconds after the vehicle enters and nothing else blocks the sensor.

however, the rear of the garage, leads out to the courtyard, and the door is UNLOCKED!? it doesn't even have a darn lock on it. i've decided to padlock it today for the owners :) i don't care if THEY can't get in. that's their problem hahaha

moving is not really an option. i love it here, i'll put up with all the associated risks.

however, the responsibility shouldn't be all on me. there are no signs releasing the owners from responsibility of vehicle theft/vandalism, etc. what i'm curious about, is how i can make the management of the apartment responsible for this. it's not the first time. in 6 months, about 10 cars have been broken into, so it's not like they didn't have any warning. we're getting the neighbors together to discuss it :)

·
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
poor neighbor's forester!!! same garage! just a few hours ago!

2 foresters in the same complex... mind you, there are only 20 spaces inside this garage.

some people have good taste i guess ;) but all joking aside, wow... what ballsy people.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
that's a bad case of haterism...those pics are hard to look at man, cuz if that happened to mine, I'd b pretty pi$$ed.

And, as I am writing this, we are getting pelted with hail here in oakland and I realize I left my car outside.

Roo/Pleiad, I saw the pics of you "What the 'Hail'" incident earlier and said to myself..."glad that didn't happen over here..." dangit..

·
Administrator
16,390 Posts
Are the cars alarmed! Maybe need a proximity alarm.

There was a case here many years ago where a guy was feed up with having his car broken into so he setup some sort of electrodes on each B pillar that activated if someone got into the vehicle. This was attached to a 240V household power supply. I used to drive past this apartment block on my way to work and I always wondered why there was a power lead snaking down the side of the building into a vehicle in the open carports.

Well, someone did break in - and got fried! :) The guy was charged with manslaughter but I can't recall the outcome :?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Muahahaha ^^
You should keep a human killing dog in the trunk so he'll bite the thief's head off once the window is broken into.
I would be so frustrated with the glass cleanup if this happend i'd just sell the car or something.
However, i have a positive outlook on the management and that they'll give you money for the repairs

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
Kevin said:
Are the cars alarmed! Maybe need a proximity alarm.

There was a case here many years ago where a guy was feed up with having his car broken into so he setup some sort of electrodes on each B pillar that activated if someone got into the vehicle. This was attached to a 240V household power supply. I used to drive past this apartment block on my way to work and I always wondered why there was a power lead snaking down the side of the building into a vehicle in the open carports.

Well, someone did break in - and got fried! :) The guy was charged with manslaughter but I can't recall the outcome :?
I remember reading about someone here in the United States who did something similar. The effect wasn't deadly, but it was definitely a hospital visit for the criminal.

The person devised a "T-coil" system using an old coil pack, made the chassis a positive ground when the car alarm was on, and hooked it up to a spare battery. The resulting shock at 12v with 50amps behind it evidently sent the criminal into cardiac arrest, but didn't **** him.

I'm sorry to hear that this happened a second time. Hope your insurance rates don't rise.

Solution?

Wireless camera, mounted somewhere discreet, aimed at your vehicle. Motion sensor tripped, and connected to your computer (or VCR), it would record what's going on around your vehicle. It would help nab the people...

·
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
While I'd love to catch the thief and give him a lesson he won't soon forget, my main concern is how to make the management responsible for not dealing with the situation earlier, despite numerous warnings.

We've got quite a case building with all the other residents, so we'll see, over the next week, how this will play out.

Thanks, everybody for the concern. Appreciate it!

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5I - 6 Speed
994 Posts
What about some type of camera connected to the car's battery? Either webcam or tape. Not sure how to tricker the thing. Can you attach a camera to a pole, discretely? I saw some wireless (not IP) cameras. The rcvr would be in your apartment connected to a VCR. That way you can record the whole night.

http://www.x10.com/cameras/cameras_wireless.html#single_nightwatch

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
Thats a tough thing to deal with, I'm not sure how I would react to something like that if it happend to mine :(

Hopefully everything gets sorted out

Best o luck

paul

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
How is it the managements fault?

If the garage is supposed to be locked and isnt and they have been informed then I could see that they have been negligant.
But otherwise you know that this isnt a secure location (as you said - the door isnt locked).

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS Manual
194 Posts
My sis lives out in San Fran - she wouldn't move from there to save her life either.

You guys are sickly attached to your town!

Sorry about the damage...been there a few times with busted windows and raped stereos with my old Accord. Makes you feel very full of ill will don't it?

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
Hey Sleepy, sorry to hear about your situation.

I've asked this question before regarding parking in private lots. To some degree, I believe you can get the owner to aid with the repairs. The problem is going throught the motion which might take up alot of your time. The best advise I have is to go to contact city hall and speak with a free legal advice counselor.

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS Manual
194 Posts
BTW - Just picked up our Blubaru from tinting, looks fantastic. I'll post pics...sometime...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts