Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so id like to upgrade my swaybars but, im confused where to put the bigger bar.. front or rear?

ive heard from one person who tracks they have a bigger bar in the front.. then ive heard from another person who tracks to put the bigger bar in the rear.. i understand people have their own "style?" i guess but, i HAD my mind set on Whiteline adjustable bars 24mm/22mm (F/R) until i heard the 2 different views..

i know 1 induces more understeer and the other more oversteer but, im not sure what i'd like more.. i dont want to have to toy with the bars and keep spending money on tryin to figure out what i like best so, im hoping for some good insight from those who know and to hopefully get what im lookin for the first time around.. especially from ones who track the Forester and not a WRX or STi..

right now im on Forester specific KYB GR2's, Swift springs, Subtle 2pt fender braces, KB subframe locking bolts, STi 20mm RSB, stock FXT FSB and a Whiteline quick release rear strut bar.. i dont track the car, although i MAY track the car once or twice.. but, this is my DD and i can be a VERY spirited/aggressive driver when i want to.. especially when taking my turns or going through the twisties..

so to sum it up - yes.. im trying to kill body roll and get more of a response from the car that im lookin for.. thanks for takin the time to read this long *** post :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
You do not want a larger bar on the rear than on the front. It will make your car very unsafe on the street. I don't know why anyone would do this on a track car either, maybe in auto-x you could get away with it?

Stan

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
I've been driving with a bigger rear because I haven't installed a bigger front yet lol

It's not too bad. You can learn to drive anything you mod your car to do. It's a bit loose, but that makes turning that much more zippy. :) But you must know how to control that oversteer!

But just some adjustables and you'll be able to fine tune it without having to replace bars.

Purely DD, I'd say you're safe with 22-24mm adj bars.

Oh and I think a good alignment makes more of a difference than bars.

·
Premium Member
10,887 Posts
Just keep in mind that in a panic situation when you are in a turn at good speed and have to all of a sudden slow down (traffic, etc), once you lift off the throttle and the weight transfers to the front, the rear will come around.

Stan

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
Yeup.. did something like that somewhere along Bolinas-Fairfax on a hairpin with a big dip.. bigger front would have helped make it more predictable by preventing wheel lift in the rear.

·
Registered
27 car gear
846 Posts
Just stick with an even setup. That means a bar that is equal on both ends of the car. This is perfect for the daily driver and for the occasional weekend racer.

A more serious auto-x'er would get a larger front bar, a 27mm or even a 32mm front bar for increased front traction. But on higher speed tracks like HPDE's or track days, a more even setup is preferred.

Whiteline and Cusco have been my go to brands for years across multiple Subaru's.

If you get an adjustable bar, and crank it to it's stiffest setting, say a 22mm bar, set to max, you will probably want to invest in new endlinks too. The factory ones will break at the higher settings. Kartboy is probably the best out there.

All you need to buy can be found at turninconcepts.com or buy used from here and nasioc. There is no reason to buy new on these parts.

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
Preventing rear tire lift is a good idea too. I'm amazed I didn't blow up my R160 from rear tire lift, followed by full throttle corner exits.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,170 Posts
25/22 here and i couldnt agree more, dd + auto-x usage. dont know how it will handle on a track but im confident in my setup...

for somebody not in2 auto-x and even setup is more than adequate.

and +10000 on rear wheel lift. mine didnt go away until i added the larger front bar.

·
Registered
04 FXT
41 Posts
have cobbs f/r on mine now.

i had the 27/29mm on my sti and LOVED it. raced the car in auto x and hillclimbs and it felt great.

got another 27/29 that i will run on the fxt in the 29mm setting and the cobb will be on the stiffest setting as well (25mm iirc) with the 29mm front i'm hoping it remains neutral.

my thought on sways: go big or go home. they make the car so much more responsive and handle much better imo

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
A bigger rear bar (than front) just makes it behave like a traditional RWD car, nothing scary as long as you know what you are doing, but yes, get it wrong and it can be scary and/or dangerous!

Before my first 4WD car, my last FWD was an oversteer monster, handled incredably well, but you had to keep 'on top' of it or it could bite, also had a lot of rear brake bias so it could be oversteered into corners by trail braking.

Simon

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wow thanks for the all the responses guys.. i THINK im gonna go with my original plan (whiteline 24/22 F/R).. i just hope its what im lookin for... maybe 26/24??

dont get me wrong.. the car handles great as is.. i just hate body roll!! i know the car can do it with what i got now.. i just feel like im takin it to its limit.. or almost..

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
springs and alignment are also very important to reduce body roll
yea i know... which is why i was thinkin about changin my spring/shock setup.. but then i took a ride in a friends car with the setup i want.. then i started thinkin bout my kids' necks or the brains in their heads......

so yea.. gonna try to get what i want from swaybars.. i understand ride quality suffers with bigger sways.. but not as much as more aggressive springs/shocks.. at least from what ive experienced in other cars

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,726 Posts
With stiffer bars ride quality will suffer too, keep in mind. I'm running 25/22 and I think it's very reasonable.

Stan
How does ride quality suffer with stiffer sways? You are not messing with the dampening at all (struts/springs). I upgraded to a stiffer RSB on my SF and LGT and didn't notice the ride quality get worse at all. If anything it got better by reducing body roll and remaining a little flatter while turning.

·
Premium Member
10,887 Posts
With a stiffer front sway your front suspension isn't as "free" to soak up road imperfections. The whole idea of stiffer front bar it to keep front wheels better planted on the road, right? That will come at a ride-quality penalty, just like stiffer springs would.

Stan

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,726 Posts
With a stiffer front sway your front suspension isn't as "free" to soak up road imperfections. The whole idea of stiffer front bar it to keep front wheels better planted on the road, right? That will come at a ride-quality penalty, just like stiffer springs would.

Stan

Gotcha. So maybe the stiffer/more rough ride occurs once you replace the FSB?

I have never noticed a decrease in ride quality when just replacing the RSB.

BTW, I am just wondering, not doubting you. I know that you know a thing or two about suspension :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts