Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester L NA auto
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. So I'm planning to swap out my stock sway bars on my car. I would like a little advice from the brain trust here as to what to do. My Forester is a 2000 NA, the stock bars are...front 20mm...rear 14mm. I'm looking to improve the fun factor in corners and twisty roads. So, I'm looking for suggestions on what sizes to get as replacements. I'm guessing that I should probably keep the 6mm difference that currently exists between front and back.(???) Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

Kenny

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,751 Posts
Your front bar is 19mm, not 20. And you do not need to (actually, should not) keep the 6mm difference.

If you want better handling on a budget - get 17mm rear bar (drop it replacement, cheap). IMHO, the most versatile combination for stock ride height. Especially with custom alignment - I suggest negative 1.0-1.5 degrees front and -1.0 degrees rear camber, zero toe all-around (extremely important, or you will destroy your tires quickly).

If you want more, get 19mm rear bar from rallitek, or 20mm WRX one (not the best combination, unless you like and can handle stiff rear end and easy lift-off oversteer....). And keep in mind that neither bar mounts nor endlinks are designed for that, and will break (some say - might, but I say it's only the matter of time and how/where you drive). That means extra money and m.b. some custom fab to avoid bar flipping in certain circumstances.

And you will face similar problems with the front bar (starting with the problem of finding a big one for a n/a; there is nothing bigger than 22mm out there, afaik).

I have 21mm front bar from SG Forester, but it took some creative work to fit it securely (modified mounts), as well as 20mm rear (03WRX sedan) with STI mounts and custom spacers. But I'd not do that if I were not on Swifts (i.e., already having sacrificed most of the off-road capabilities to better handling).

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
If you like the balance now then keep the same ratio. Just know that if your rear bar is hollow the equivalent solid bar will be much stiffer.

·
Registered
2000 Forester L NA auto
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. This will help me get started. Its good to know I can deviate from the 6mm diff. if I want to.

Are the stock bars usually hallow? It looks solid but I really cant tell for sure.

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,751 Posts
Thanks guys. This will help me get started. Its good to know I can deviate from the 6mm diff. if I want to.

Are the stock bars usually hallow? It looks solid but I really cant tell for sure.
FYI: Sway bars and total spring rates (why sway bars sometimes do too much) - IWSTI.com: Subaru WRX STI Forums

Sway-Bar Calculator - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

In short - the sway bar rate is ~D^4, i.e. proportional to the fourth power of diameter (for solid bars).

For the second part: both stock and aftermarket bars can be either solid or hollow.

All OEM and aftermarket bars that will fit your Forester are solid, AFAIK.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
You can tell if the bar is hollow by tapping it with a wrench and comparing the sound to the front which i'm almost positive is solid.

Basically a hollow bar is equivalent to a 2-3mm smaller solid bar in stiffness.

·
Registered
775 Posts
All of the first gen SH bars are solid. I've had a 22 front/20 rear non-adjustable combination on my two Foresters and it works very well for a daily driver and doesn't require endlink upgrades. If you want a more serious but still streetable level of improvement you should probably try an adjustable 24/22 combination with new endlinks.

Guy

·
Registered
2003 2.5x
645 Posts
Interesting thread and a lot of info I had not considered when purchasing a Perrin 22m adjustable RSB.

Dont mean to threadjack but I do have some questions on the subject.

For the time being I wanted to swap out the stock RSB in our SG with said Perrin RSB and leave the front as is until funds allowed. Is this a bad idea to do this?

Also, I only have the Perrin RSB and mounts, I do not have upgraded end links, etc. Is this an even worse idea or should I just wait until I have front, rear sway bars and all the goodies.

FWIW, we are not trying to track the car or play speed racer through the twisties, only trying to tighten it up a bit for a better feel.

·
Registered
2000 Forester L NA auto
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting thread and a lot of info I had not considered when purchasing a Perrin 22m adjustable RSB.

Dont mean to threadjack but I do have some questions on the subject.

For the time being I wanted to swap out the stock RSB in our SG with said Perrin RSB and leave the front as is until funds allowed. Is this a bad idea to do this?

Also, I only have the Perrin RSB and mounts, I do not have upgraded end links, etc. Is this an even worse idea or should I just wait until I have front, rear sway bars and all the goodies.

FWIW, we are not trying to track the car or play speed racer through the twisties, only trying to tighten it up a bit for a better feel.

No worries...great questions. The info coming in is great already so ask away. I looking forward to any info.

Thanks to everyone so far. This is why I love this sight. People are quick and eager to share their knowledge and help one another out.:woohoo:

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,751 Posts

Then it is indeed a bad idea. Not terribly bad, but rather questionable.

There are a lot of variables (and personal preferences) that define "handling", but in my opinion 21F/22R is a bit too much for "normal" driving. The rear end will be stiffer than necessary, and you will get pronounced oversteer (both lift-off and on power - which is kind of unpredictable with the 4EAT as you never know when/how it decides to move power front-to-back) even with stock alignment. In you consider this fun and can handle it - fine, but it is over the hill for "an average driver", very easy to spin off in winter times (especially as you don't have VDC)

An alternative solution would be to sell the Perrin bar and get a 20mm STI bar. 21F/20R is a decent compromise; cheap, too. If you insist on using 22mm RSB (w/ 22+mm FSB)... well, I'd not recommend that with stock suspension - yes you get a loss less roll, but also a lot less compliance, less articulation, and no change in lift/dive.

Upgraded bar mounts and endlinks are strongly recommended even with 20mm bar (use STI mounts with longer/adjustable endlinks).

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
On my FXT I'm running the 19mm sti rsb with the stock 21mm fsb. Its pretty much a perfect match and if anything I'd go for a stiffer front bar before I do anything more in the rear. On stock suspension I wouldn't go for anything more than sti bars (I'm on wrx take offs).

The SF style C shaped droplinks leave something to be desired so I'd probably upgrade those.

·
Registered
2003 2.5x
645 Posts
Thanks guys. Guess I'll go ahead and sell the Perrin Sway Bar and seek out an STi 20mm.

I am still in the middle of a "trade" idea for the Foz so will see how it goes.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2000 Forester 5MT
9 Posts
I've Discovered from a salvage yard and noticed that AUDI has sway bar Front Links made of Aluminum that Fit Subaru as a replacement for the Rear Sway Bar Links.

There is a different of 1/4" in length but other than that it's a match.

Look at Audi Front sway Bar Links from 98 - 04 I'm sorry I don't know the Audi models

Anyway I pulled two off the Audi Front to upgrade my rear sway bar links on my 00 Forester.

I'm running stock Sway Bar on the Front 20mm & 18mm Rear sway Bar with Aluminum Audi Links.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
20 Posts
Rear Sway Bar Replace

Hey all, ...I read through the previous posts and I have a pretty general idea but I'm looking for an EXACT.

If anyone is still paying attention to this thread could you please tell me exactly what year range WRX rsb (19mm, right?) will be a direct swap out for the current, stock rsb in my 2006 FXT?

Also, (this may sound stupid) but does it matter if the WRX rsb is from a sedan or wagon??

This car is my daily driver but it does trailer my track bike to the tracks and occasionally I like to blast down a backroad but that is the extent of my wild side in the car. Suspension is basically stock with OEM/KYB replacement struts and I just want to tighten things up a little bit.

Thanx,
Joe

·
Registered
02 forester s manual
1,709 Posts
02-07 wrx

wagon is a bit narrower but not much and can fit

early 02 wrx had the biggest of the wrx bars from that gen

sti rear bar is even bigger and also fits

sending pm

·
Registered
2000 forester auto
696 Posts
If you go off road look at the 17mm WRX rear bar, I have the WRX 17 mm rear bar and it helped quite a bit in the corners without being too stiff for off road. Latter I added Primitive racing rear end links, the end links made a huge difference. They replace the stock plastic and rubber links with aluminum links with pressed in teflon coated steel Heim Joints, less compliance and greater range of movement so suspension articulation is not limited by the end links binding.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
20 Posts
If you go off road look at the 17mm WRX rear bar, I have the WRX 17 mm rear bar and it helped quite a bit in the corners without being too stiff for off road. Latter I added Primitive racing rear end links, the end links made a huge difference. They replace the stock plastic and rubber links with aluminum links with pressed in teflon coated steel Heim Joints, less compliance and greater range of movement so suspension articulation is not limited by the end links binding.
First, thanx for the replies.
Next, I can't seem to figure out how to get this site, Hmmmm, or several others to send me an email when I get a PM or a reply to a thrread I'm posted in. Uuuugh. Any Idea???
Next, RE:17mm WRX bar - My 06 Forester already has a 17.3 (so says my local Suby dealer) and I'm really looking for a 19mm specifically.
Last, I live in the San Francisco East Bay Area, I used to use a shop called SubyDudes (long long ago, yes, I'm old) and can't seem to find a Suby specific shop. Can anyone make suggestions.

Thanx Again All,
Much Appreciated...

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Hey Harpo, there are quite a few shops here in the Bay. One is RBMS in Hayward. Talk to Mert. Good guy and trusted.

·
Registered
2000 forester auto
696 Posts
First, RE:17mm WRX bar - My 06 Forester already has a 17.3 (so says my local Suby dealer) and I'm really looking for a 19mm specifically.

Thanx Again All,
Much Appreciated...
Yeah sorry that advise was for the goshring's 2000. Your suby dealer is
correct the stock rear sway bar size is 17.3 for the 06' and your Forester comes stock with "pillow ball" end links that are much better than the earlier "C" shaped plastic end links that the 2000 comes with, so the end links that I recommended for goshring's 2000 Forester are not applicable for the 06'.
Perhaps this thread will be of help to you:http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f70/endlinks-sway-bar-upgrade-626554/

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
20 Posts
Slightly Confused,..... AGAIN

Question:This cant be right, ...can it??
I called a "Suby Mechanic" in Novato CA. and he 100% assured me that WRX rsb ABSOLUTELY will not fit my 06 FXT, and that only the STI rsb will work. :***
This seems to go against everything I've read,...Thoughts???

1 - 20 of 27 Posts