Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I have noticed a deep squeeling or whirring which appears to be coming from the front of my car. It is most noticible when the car it warmed up, moving at least 30 mph, with my foot off the gas.
My mechanic (whom I have always trusted) made a note that I need: "Stabilizer (sway bar) links, both front and rear. Parts and Labor EST $300."
I picked my car up after hours yesterday and found the above on my invoice. Wanted a little more information before I talk to him. Just a few questions if any of you have time to answer :biggrin:
What are the typical symptoms of a problem with the sway bar links?
Is the estimate accurate?
Is the replacement a safety issue and/or a comfort issue?

I have a 2006 Standard SF which I love! I am not extremely car savvy and would appreciate any input. Thanks in advance!!

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Welcome.

Hmm.. is it kind of a chirping noise that increases with speed, like something is rubbing? Could it be brakes? The sway bar endlinks are fairly easy to replace, but I could see a shop charging $300 for parts and labor. The endlinks themselves can be had very cheap as alot of us replaced our stock ones with better aftermarket units.

How many miles on the car, 50K? Original brake pads?

Stan

·
Registered
1998 Forester S
34 Posts
I just bought new sway bar endlinks for my Legacy. They're about $45 each. So at $180 for 4 plus labor, $300 sounds reasonable.

However, I'm replacing them to remedy a rattling noise, nothing like what you're describing. I looked under the carriage and noticed one appeared to have a bad bushing and wasn't tightly bolted to the sway bar.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts